New MEFedMVVM extension for View Navigation/Discoverability

Marlon Grech

Aug 27, 2011, 6:35:01 AM8/27/11
to wpf-disciples

After a big big pause from blogging finally found sometime to do some stuff :)

MEFedMVVM gets a new hot and KINKY extension

http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/mefedmvvm-navigationextension/

Hope you like it :)

Regards
Marlon
WPF Blog - http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/
MEFedMVVM - http://mefedmvvm.codeplex.com

Brian Noyes

Aug 27, 2011, 8:04:32 AM8/27/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Nice work!

Looks interesting and similar in concept to what we tried to do in Prism 4 with our navigation services, except that like most of Prism distinct from MEFedMVVM, we do it all from code not XAML. I know you have built some of MEFedMVVM on top of or at least to work in conjunction to Prism. Was wondering if you looked into simply extending the INavigationService functionality of Prism into the XAML world as part of this effort or if there were specific things you found you didn't like about the Prism approach.

Even though I am deeply biased having worked directly on Prism with the Microsoft team, I still try hard to present an unbiased approach to the design patterns including the best of the best from many other frameworks including MEFedMVVM, MVVM Light, Caliburn and others when I teach and consult.

Thanks
Brian
Brian Noyes
Chief Architect, IDesign Inc
Microsoft Regional Director / MVP
http://www.idesign.net
+1 703-447-3712

Marlon Grech

Aug 27, 2011, 8:33:16 AM8/27/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brian,

Yes I have looked at the Navigation in PRISM and I must admit it's really rock solid... The one thing I wanted was to be able to also have it in XAML to enable the designers more... I am in fact planning to see how I can leverage PRISM Navigation (in a separate extension so that I do not create dependencies on PRISM)...

In fact, probably you screwed my next weekend :)

Sacha Barber

Sep 6, 2011, 4:38:36 AM9/6/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Good stuff, very PRISMesque, which is a good thing
--
Sacha Barber
sacha....@gmail.com

Sacha Barber

Sep 6, 2011, 4:42:48 AM9/6/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I am curious if all these NavigationHandler  exports are not shared, who cleans them up and when, and how?

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Marlon Grech <marlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Sacha Barber
sacha....@gmail.com

Marlon Grech

Sep 6, 2011, 6:01:22 AM9/6/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
if they are not shred the GC will clean them once the linked element dies

Sacha Barber

Sep 6, 2011, 11:33:08 AM9/6/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
You sure, that does not seem to fit with way rest of MEF works, why the ReleasePart() method for example
--
Sacha Barber
sacha....@gmail.com

Marlon Grech

Sep 7, 2011, 2:43:26 AM9/7/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I will check it out yet as far as I know MEF keeps hold of an object only if it is shared OR if it implements IDisposable (so that it can call dispose when you dispose the container)

Sacha Barber

Sep 7, 2011, 3:38:22 AM9/7/11
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that does sound correct, worth checking though
--
Sacha Barber
sacha....@gmail.com