Launched XAML Power Toys for Visual Studio 2015 for WPF and Xamarin Forms

k-dawg

Jun 19, 2016, 2:11:45 PM6/19/16
to XAML Disciples
Hi Everyone,

Best to you all, hope all is going well for you and your family.

I launched XAML Power Toys for Visual Studio 2015 for WPF and Xamarin Forms.

Its installed from the Visual Studio Gallery.

I have some videos and docs here on my new blog:

Have a great day,

kdawg

Brennon Williams

Jun 19, 2016, 2:13:44 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Nice one! Shall be checking that out for sure.

Cheers

--

---

Peter O'Hanlon

Jun 19, 2016, 2:14:25 PM6/19/16
to XAML Disciples

Nice . Very nice. I look forward to exploring this. Thanks for sharing Karl.

Karl Shifflett

Jun 19, 2016, 2:15:50 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
What is amazing is that WPF is huge in Japan.  Many companies are now moving to it.

I’ll be in Japan for a week in July doing consulting and presentations.

Long live King WPF.

Karl Shifflett

Jun 19, 2016, 2:18:44 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
You’re welcome Peter!

I found that writing VS Packages was less work that the traditional Add-In’s we used to write.  VSIX delivery, easy.

Brennon Williams

Jun 19, 2016, 2:19:41 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Let me know if you see an interest in the UX/VIS design integration side of things. I would be really interested in exploring the opportunity to present there is if is something that complements what you are doing Karl?

Cheers

Karl Shifflett

Jun 19, 2016, 2:24:03 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
For this trip, the schedule is being handled by folks in Japan.

While I’m there, I will send up a test balloon for this engagement.

UX/UI is so important.  I wish I had great design skills, but crayons are where I live. LOL.

Cheers!

Peter O'Hanlon

Jun 19, 2016, 3:00:43 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
The area I have been spending a lot of time picking up is the other side, user engagement.

Corrado Cavalli

Jun 19, 2016, 3:58:48 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Awesome Karl! J

Jun 19, 2016, 4:01:46 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Corrado.

Would love to get your feedback as a Xamarin MVP.

Not sure how many developers are adopting Xamarin Forms as opposed to using Xamarin and authoring their UI for each platform.

Over the next year or so, maybe the landscape will change as Xamarin Forms gets better and better.

Corrado Cavalli

Jun 19, 2016, 4:09:23 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

I will Karl.

My opinion is that after Microsoft acquisition  the majority of newcomers are using Xamarin Forms, and I think this is the natural evolution of any XAML developers entering the dark side of programming, but as I often recommend, Xamarin Forms are , at least as they have been conceived so far, for LOB applications, using them for complex or graphic intensive apps might become a real pain.

Cheers

/C.

Karl Shifflett

Jun 19, 2016, 4:11:49 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Spot on.  Totally agree.  This presents good opportunities for 3rd party control vendors to fill in the gaps and enable awesome scenarios for Xamarin Forms.

Laurent Bugnion

Jun 19, 2016, 6:09:08 PM6/19/16
to Karl Shifflett, wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Don't forget that xamarin forms is very likely to go under significant changes in the next months after the acquisition. I am quite sure that Microsoft is not going to maintain two xaml frameworks. The best possible scenario, and the one that I keep recommending to Microsoft people, is to extend windows 10 UWP with renderers to be compiled to Android and iOS. This is the most logical way, given the Universal moniker. Now, that won’t be very easy and might cause a bit of friction but eventually I think it would create a fantastic story for the xaml stack. And from a technical standpoint, it doesn’t even seem super complex, to be honest.

Xamarin.Forms is exciting but it is still fairly immature (compared to Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS) and even Nat Friedman and others at Xamarin are kind of down playing its importance. An integration in the UWP stack os what makes the most sense IMHO.

Exciting times ahead for sure.

Laurent

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Karl Shifflett

Jun 19, 2016, 6:58:26 PM6/19/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Totally agree with your recommendation.

Yes, exciting and fun times!

Peter O'Hanlon

Jun 20, 2016, 2:30:33 AM6/20/16
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Karl - I've shared XAML PowerToys on the XAML Experts Facebook group.

Pete

Daniel Vaughan

Jun 20, 2016, 8:09:40 AM6/20/16
to WPF Disciples
Nice work Karl. I've also shared it on the LinkedIn Xamarin Experts group.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Vaughan