Long time no speak

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 18, 2018, 5:04:37 PM9/18/18
to WPF Disciples
Sooooo, let's see who's still here and interested in WPF (possibly just me and Brian). I'm pulling together content for the new dotnet core 3 and one of the big promises is about the new WPF / WinForms features in it. I've got the core 3 download installed, but there's talk about the desktop pack. Does anyone know where I can get this to test WPF core 3-ified?

Pete

Sacha Barber

Sep 18, 2018, 5:10:19 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Mate I am deep server side these days, I am more of a cloud / distributed / container guy. Still have soft spot for WPF though

--

---

Peter O'Hanlon

Colin Eberhardt

Sep 18, 2018, 5:20:47 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete, Sacha,

Same for me, WPF is a distant (yet fond) memory for me. We still have one or two WPF projects at Scott Logic, but everything else is JS, cloud, server side, big data etc ...

Sep 18, 2018, 5:24:00 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I've been asked to put together a proposal for a book on C#8 and dotnet core 3 so I thought I'd better have a play around with the WPF / WF implementation.

Josh Smith

Sep 18, 2018, 5:34:23 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t touched WPF in years, it’s been all native iOS for me since I left the Microsoft world.

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 18, 2018, 5:38:21 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I like to tell people I knew Josh Smith before he became a hipster ;)

Karl Shifflett

Sep 18, 2018, 5:43:50 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Pete,

I've done tooling for WPF and still love it.

Currently I'm writing tooling to code gen Angular apps from native Sketch files. We shipped last month, pretty hi octane service.

Hope to be starting on Flutter code gen as well. Infragistics is committed to great productivity tooling for developers.

Best to everyone,

Karl

Daniel Vaughan

Sep 18, 2018, 5:44:02 PM9/18/18
to WPF Disciples
It's been a while for me too. These days I'm mostly focused on Azure, Xamarin Android, and a little UWP. Though, I still have a soft spot for WPF.

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 18, 2018, 5:49:14 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Ah Microsoft, what could have been..., if only you'd kept the faith.

Sacha Barber

Sep 18, 2018, 5:50:53 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
You guys need to man up and get you some kafka I'm your life that's a tool to behold

That and spark ah my ah bliss things

Sacha Barber

Sep 18, 2018, 5:52:14 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Don't know what went wrong there I typed I like wpf and loads of stuff about kafka came out. Go figure

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 18, 2018, 5:58:35 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Very kafka-esque

John Gossman

Sep 18, 2018, 7:12:04 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
The WPF team still exists (it is run by a guy I hired straight out of college in 2004). XAML is the most used UI technology for UWP also. After we shipped the Windows XAML (Jupiter) stuff in Win8, I went to work for Guthrie on Azure....turned out to be a pretty good move. I worked on XAML for 8 years, so it was really good to change to something radically different. I still talk to folks and say WPF is probably most complete UI framework ever created, and point out that this fact is totally irrelevant because the world went through a couple of technology disruptions at the time (Web and Mobile) that it was not designed for, as well as other factors. Good reminder not to fall in love with the specific tech and instead keep your eye on customers and bigger trends.

Pavan Podila

Sep 18, 2018, 9:04:38 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
All React these days for me but WPF was my first love 😇

Mark Smith

Sep 18, 2018, 11:39:51 PM9/18/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Want a great ride down memory lane guys! I have fond memories of WPF; I moved onto Xamarin - launched Xamarin University and am now in a new project in the Azure docs group. Still have a soft spot for WPF though - I even wrote our local content dev generation tool for XamU in WPF .. just because.

Anyone going to Ignite by chance?

Mark Smith

Sacha Barber

Sep 19, 2018, 1:24:52 AM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
John gossman

What you guys did with wpf was nothing short or amazing in my opinion

I think it certainly paved the way for what we see in modern Web frameworks that all boast about binding

I'm like yeah wpf had thay first

Then they go oh you can use Web components to make custom elements

I'm like Datatemplate was there first too

They say modules,  I'm like um prism had those too

Mmmm

Corrado Cavalli

Sep 19, 2018, 3:26:52 AM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Hi disciples,

A bit sad to see many of us leaving the WPF land, but is evident that we still love it.

I’m still in the XAML world, with UWP and Xamarin, but of course Azure and all the server side story is part of my daily work as well.

Nice to ear you 😊

/C.

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 19, 2018, 3:39:50 AM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
For full disclosure, I should have mentioned that I'm spending more and more of my time in TypeScript (where have you been all my web development life?) and Xamarin (same question as TypeScript for mobile development).

Sacha Barber

Michael Brown

Sep 19, 2018, 4:54:25 AM9/19/18
to XAML Disciples
I’m doing a lot of React which to me feels like a spiritual successor to WPF. Virtual DOM / Virtual Tree. MVVM type data-bindings with the data store. And event-aggregator style updates with Redux actions/reducers.

I’ve done work with Xamarin Forms which is a promising cross platform XAML experience. We’ve done some delightful experiences with it with minimal platform specific code.

But I’m all about the cloud now. Especially serverless development. Amazon Lambda and Azure functions bring the promise of micro services to reality.

Anyway, it’s been great hearing what everyone’s doing. Would love to have an excuse to bump into the group again sometime. Maybe like was suggested at Ignite or something similar.

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 19, 2018, 5:34:53 AM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Are you using TypeScript with React Michael?

--

---

Jeremy Alles

Sep 19, 2018, 7:50:47 AM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

After Azure, Angular, TypeScript stuff I decided to join Microsoft almost a year ago. I moved to Berlin and I'm now building Microsoft To-Do for UWP.
So back to the XAML land I used to love. But still keeping an eye on anything cloud/web related.

Glad to hear about you guys :-)

Jeremy

lau...@galasoft.ch

Sep 19, 2018, 9:03:22 AM9/19/18
to XAML Disciples

Hey everyone!!

I am still here! Hey guys... For those of you who don't know, I joined MS about 1.5 years ago IN Azure... Yes I do cloud development now, and I have to say it's awesome. I feel a lot of the passion in Azure that I felt in WPF and Silverlight before... And part of that is because of the Gu, what a man... My direct manager is Tim Heuer, another well known name 😎

I continue to manage MVVM Light and much of it is used on WPF, some in UWP, most of it in Xamarin I think. Still WPF is very important to me and I am still showing demos of cross platform code with WPF, UWP and Xamarin. In fact I am at NDC Sydney this week with such demos.

.NET Standard is a game changer IMHO. And excited to see .NET Core coming to desktop development. Some of the reasons for that move is the recognition by the dotnet team that WPF and even WinForms (in fact probably even more so) are still strong (stronger...) in the enterprise.

With WPF and Xamarin I feel that we have a great cross platform story. Trying to promote that and cloud dev is what I do now and I love it.

Take care everyone.
Laurent

lau...@galasoft.ch

Sep 19, 2018, 9:04:43 AM9/19/18
to XAML Disciples
Jeremy I had no idea you were working for MS, and moreover out of Berlin. I'll make sure to wave your way if I come to Berlin, which might happen in the future...

Take care
Laurent

Sacha Barber

Sep 19, 2018, 9:19:34 AM9/19/18
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Lauent how does one go about getting a job working for MSFT on azure,  I'd be interested to learn more about that

Is remote working an option?

Michael Brown

Sep 19, 2018, 12:40:29 PM9/19/18
to XAML Disciples
Actually no, ES6 all the way with Babel and the assorted tools that go with it. It almost looks the same minus the type safety.

Peter O'Hanlon

Sep 19, 2018, 12:55:17 PM9/19/18
to WPF Disciples
Come to the type side. It's glorious.