CFP extension: International Writing Workshop at WRAB

ten grrl

Aug 3, 2022, 9:00:15 AM8/3/22
to tri...@applet.ifttt.com, wpa-anno...@googlegroups.com

Deadline for submitting a brief proposal now extended to August 16.

Dear colleagues,

The sixth triennial Writing Research Across Borders (WRAB) conference will be taking place in person 18-22 February 2023, in Trondheim, Norway. (See information about the WRAB conference here.)

The International Researchers Consortium (IRC) has facilitated full-day international writing research workshops in the US, Sweden, and Portugal, and is hosting a full-day international writing research workshop at WRAB on February 17, 2023. We invite you to join us in Trondheim for a day of sharing and discussing writing research in progress with colleagues from around the world. Please circulate this call (and consider for yourselves and collaborators!):

We are inviting brief proposals for up to twenty-four researcher-participant roles. We seek proposals for studies about higher education writing around the world. By research, we mean a project with a focused research question, an identified methodology (qualitative, quantitative, ethnographic, historical, discourse analysis, corpus, etc.), and the collection of data in some form. This research can be at any stage and does not need to be final. We welcome proposals of research focused on writing in any language. The working language of the conference is English; however, because we are interested in promoting writing research across languages, we are willing to help with translation of a text into English as needed, if the paper is accepted for the workshop (see the WRAB language policy here).

Your role in the workshop would be to provide a draft text about the research by the beginning of January 2023, to read the other researchers’ texts before attending the conference, and to participate in the day-long workshop by leading a discussion about your project and participating in discussions of a subset of others’ projects.

We hope to engage researcher-participants from many countries and research traditions in an equal exchange dialogue, learning from each other: the primary focus is on the writing research itself. We know that researchers around the world are interested in finding sites for serious cross-national conversation that includes multiple research traditions. This workshop is designed to make space available for extended time to read, think through, and discuss in detail each other’s work.

We have seen, through offering similar workshops at conferences such as CCCC and EATAW over the past 14 years the benefits of these extended discussions. We all inhabit many roles of differing discursive power across complex, multiple linguistic, institutional, political, geographic, theoretical and pedagogical spaces.  This full-day space permits us to get rich feedback on our own projects-in-process, as well as respond  to each other’s work and understand other institutional, cultural, and political contexts. It is also a chance to include each other in our respective local contexts as a community, encouraging collective reflection on the nature and status of writing research more broadly, and sponsoring collaboration as a network of writing scholars across these contexts. Here is a link to previous workshops.

We invite you to submit a brief proposal that describes a research project (in process or recently completed) that you would be interested in sharing. This proposal should briefly explain your project and its goals and methods, then how you currently see your research fitting into a network of writing researchers. In other words, what connections do you expect to see with other kinds of research, and what do you think researchers from other contexts might learn from your study? When appropriate, describe what kind of audience, scholarly journal, or professional audience might be interested in your research.

Please submit your proposal by August 1 via this form. This proposal can be quite informal (it serves to help us determine appropriate projects, and only the title will appear in the program), so please feel free to send something along without a laborious process.  Keep a copy for yourself, as the survey collector will not send a copy back to you.

Accepted participants will need to register for the WRAB conference and attend it in person.

Thank you! Please write with any questions at all:

Amy Zenger az...@aub.edu.lb

Steffen Guenzel steffen...@ucf.edu

Brooke Schreiber brooke.s...@baruch.cun.edu

Planned workshop submission timeline:

  • AUG 16 Submit brief proposals  (revised due date)

  • Aug 10 Acceptance of brief proposals

  • Dec 5 Submit research draft

  • Dec 10 Cluster assignments and read drafts

  • Feb 17 IRC Workshop during Pre-Conference WRAB 2023 Trondheim, Norway

Amy A. Zenger
Associate Professor of English
Advisor, Visiting, Exchange, and Special Students, FAS
Director, Writing Center and Writing in the Disciplines
American University of Beirut
Fisk Hall, Room 227