CFP: Special section of CDQ on the enduring impact of Dr. Halcyon Lawrence's research

ten grrl

Nov 7, 2023, 11:10:20 AM11/7/23
to wpa-anno...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As many of you know, Dr. Halcyon Lawrence passed away on October 29, 2023. To honor her memory, Communication Design Quarterly will devote a special section of a future issue to individual reflections on the impact of her research. Many people have reflected upon Dr. Lawrence’s amazing mentorship and the indelible mark her kindness and generosity have left on our community. We hope our planned special section will build upon those reflections by focusing specifically on the important interventions she has made through her research. Consequently, we’re soliciting 1,000-2,000-word pieces that engage with her research in a variety of ways. The pieces could be more formal reviews of one of her articles or book chapters or more personal discussions of how her research has influenced your thinking on a topic. We’re open to creative approaches that engage with Dr. Lawrence’s research.

The final submissions will go through editorial review (but not peer review). As mentioned earlier, we’re open to creative approaches, so don’t feel like you must follow the two examples I outlined in the previous paragraph.

Because this is kind of an atypical format, we’re using a rather atypical submission process. The first step is to email me (jfr...@clemson.edu) a brief description of what you want to write about (50-100 words). I’m adding that step because I want to avoid a situation where I receive two very similar submissions and can only publish one of them (I don’t want to waste anyone’s time). I’ll respond to each submission and let you know whether it will fit the special section, and we’ll then be open to the 1,000-2,000-word final submissions. Our main requirement is that each submission must engage with the impact of Dr. Lawrence’s research, which we’re defining broadly to include conference presentations, workshops, book chapters, articles, etc.

We’re planning on publishing the reflections together as a special section of our second or third issue of 2024.  To ensure timely publication, we will be using the following deadlines:

  • December 15: Email me (jfr...@clemson.edu) a brief description of the reflection piece you want to write. It only needs to be 50-100 words. I just want to make sure there’s not too much overlap between submissions.
  • March 1: Submit the 1,000-2,000-word final submission. I will then beging the editorial review process with CDQ's associate editor Dr. Amber Lancaster.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Jordan Frith, Ph.D.

Pearce Professor of Professional Communication

Clemson University

Pronouns: He/Him

My new Object Lessons book: Barcode

[category cfp]