Decisions

jops

Nov 10, 2009, 8:33:33 PM11/10/09
to wp-simile-timeline
Hello again,

this is a really basic question, so please forgive me. I am trying to
take decisions, and that's why I ask:

will wp-timeline accept dates BC (before Christ) ? I don't suppose
that even wordpress does, but I would like to be sure since there
might be some workaround...

Just another question: I don't suppose there is any integrated system
for google maps and timeline for wordpress. Can anyone confirm this ?

Thank you again and best wishes

Tim

Nov 11, 2009, 4:51:12 PM11/11/09
to wp-simile-timeline
Hi,

Yes, the SIMILE Timeline supports this kind of dates and the plugin
does too. The plugin provides additional date attributes in the post
interface (start date, end date) that can be used for such
applications.

Regarding your second question, you should have a look at SIMILE's
Exhibit project: http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/
The first example in the screenshots exactly does what you've
described (if I got it right). However, it is more a framework than a
"plug-and-play" solution so there is still some programming work
involved.

jops

Nov 11, 2009, 7:16:07 PM11/11/09
to wp-simile-timeline
Hi Tim,

thank you very very much for your reply.

Ok, that's good news. But then how do you define a date before Christ.
I tried a negative year as start date but it didn't work ? Where can I
find information about the definition of the date attributes ?

(I have wp-simile-timeline.0.4.5.4 installed on my PC)

Regarding the question about timeline+google maps:

Yes, the first example you indicate, exemplifies more or less what I
am after. But the problem is the integration with wordpress. The
really good thing about your plugin is that wordpress posts become
events in the timeline. But, how to do it with both timeline and
google maps ?

Of course that what I am asking is your view, which is already a great
help in my decisions, as I have limited knowlege of programming (php,
javascrip...).

Thank you once again. Regards, Paulo

Tim

Nov 12, 2009, 2:48:32 PM11/12/09
to wp-simile-timeline
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that I will have to revise my statement that
the plugin supports dates BC.
It's not impossible but currently the value is stored as 'datetime' in
the MySQL database. This constrains the date to at least year 0.

Since dates BC are totally reasonable for historic applications I'm
willing to implement a solution in a future version. I could think of
a simple checkbox "BC" next to the date picker. If it's active it
would just convert the year to a date before Christ. What do you
think?

jops

Nov 12, 2009, 7:40:09 PM11/12/09
to wp-simile-timeline
Hi Tim,

thanks again. Yes, for historic sites it may the limitation for using
the plugin or not.

And yes, I suppose that a checkbox "BC" would reasonable. As long as
dates are univocal, a priori, I suppose it won't matter the way they
are stored, and that seems a non painful solution.

Now if I may, just a basic question: I don't understand well the
meaning of "Latest Start Date" and "Earliest End Date" and when they
are supposed to be used. Perhaps you would shed some light... (at the
moment I can't do much testing since the timeline stopped working and
I have to reinstall something when I have the time).

Thank you again.

Sue Denning

Aug 20, 2013, 12:42:27 PM8/20/13
to wp-simile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim - Did this ever come to fruition? We're desperate for it here at Trinity College in Hartford.