Developer content on WPNashville

Randy Hicks

Aug 26, 2014, 8:33:11 AM8/26/14
to wp-nas...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone, I connected with a guy from the meetup group last week and he's getting started in development, as many are.

This got me wanting to do a post about what others in the community use as their development stack as well as any resource suggestions.

I wanted to write a quick post on it, but need to ask developers a few quick questions what do think I should ask?

Here are a few I was thinking:
  • What OS are you on?
  • What applications do you use?
  • Resource recommendations for learning apart from the codex?
  • Location: City
  • Twitter: Username

natan...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2014, 11:32:01 AM8/26/14
to wp-nas...@googlegroups.com
  • What OS are you on?

Depends on how you look at it. My computer is OS X, my servers are all Linux.

  • What applications do you use?

Command line, primarily, with a few GUI’s for ease of some other operations.
* Vim
* Vagrant & VirtualBox ( local dev servers )
* Sublime Text 2
* Forklift ( FTP )
* Billings Pro ( time keeping and invoicing )
* Chrome Canary
* Slack, Skype, Hangouts, iMessage, Mailbox ( communication )
* Dash ( documentation )
* Rdio ( music )
* The Hit List ( task lists )

  • Resource recommendations for learning apart from the codex?
Learn other languages and other frameworks! Take what you’ve learned from those experiences and apply it to other areas! Game Development would be another good area to learn as you _really_ have to focus on performance/efficiency and not reusing code and things that take up memory. Learning a C-based language would be beneficial as well as PHP is heavily influenced by C ( as it’s a layer on top of C ).

  • Location: City

Nashville, TN.

  • Twitter: Username

@nathanielks

Sent from Mailbox

Google Groups [Nashville WordPress Developers]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nashville WordPress" group.

Liz Fulghum

Aug 27, 2014, 10:27:46 AM8/27/14
to wp-nas...@googlegroups.com
Though they require a little more time to answer, I think three interesting questions might be:

1. What was a big "Ah-hah" moment you remember from when you were learning development?
2. What does your development process look like?
3. Favorite time-saver/code-hack/trick when it comes to WordPress development?

Randy Hicks

Aug 28, 2014, 8:31:11 AM8/28/14
to wp-nas...@googlegroups.com
Liz,

I like these questions! Yeah their a little longer but they could be an optional portion. The goal is really to collect answers to questions that all beginner dev might run into.

Nathanel, Thanks for the response! That gives me a feel for the range or responses we might receive :p btw, forklift looks pretty cool, I've been using transmit for a long time, but I really one just transfer files.