Re: [woyp] Digest for woyp@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Bob Roberts

Mar 23, 2015, 4:26:22 PM3/23/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
So how's everyone doing?
It's springtime here in Roosterville, and we are getting ready to move.  It's kind of like musical houses around here.  My step-mom, who lives next door, has bought a house in town.  She moves on 4/3. and we will be purchasing and moving into her house on 4.14.  My brother will be moving into our house here.  Quite excited, as the new house is all on one level, which will be WAY nicer for me and getting around.

So I'm not going to be digging the Palm out for a few weeks.  I AM using Bonsai on the desktop and Windows tablet, to try and keep track of all the minutia involved in moving

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:02 PM, <wo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bob Roberts <bgi...@gmail.com>: Mar 03 04:14PM -0600

That's a very interesting read, Buzz. I'm going to have to read it a
second time, and ponder it a bit more deeply. Yes, another alternative.

That did make me stop to look at a thought... exactly what am I wanting
from my tecchnologies? I find that currently, I am mostly using tech for
entertainment. Music, videos, ebooks, website reading... these activities
compromise the bulk of my tech use now. Being forcefully retired means I
currently have no need for a lot of the tech I used to live by. I am
trying to find some ways to fund my retirement, which will require a bit of
tech (for writing blogs, internet marketing, etc.) But I think my days of
climbing under the hood of SQL Server, DB2, and Oracle databases are behind
me. So I'd really like to simplify life, perhaps leaving some of the
all-to-short time left for some other types of fun and enjoyment of life.

It may come back to DOS PC's and Palm pda's. Who knows?

Bert Latamore

Mar 23, 2015, 7:01:43 PM3/23/15
to woyp
​Great to hear all your news. It is spring on and off here in the Blue Ridge.​ My Galaxy 3 has a crack across its screen but is still working well. I'm going to see if I can get it repaired rather than buying something new.

I've been having some battery trouble with my now year-old Surface II, but I think the battery just needs some exercise. So I am making a point of running it down at night and then recharging.

Otherwise things are well. I am going to try out a new generation project manager called MeisterTask. It might be a good choice for managing your move. I'm writing a user case study on it and it sounds interesting for larger projects. https://www.meistertask.com/

All the best, Bert

Bert Latamore
(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Buzz

Mar 24, 2015, 1:44:32 AM3/24/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Timely as this will probably be my last email before I delete all my email accounts in Mail on my MBP before rebuilding the accounts one by one and reimporting archived mail. This time tomorrow, I hope to have put the part POP/part IMAP mess with a gazillion inboxes I currently have behind me and have a much tidier all-IMAP setup. With a Time Machine back up, almost all mail copied on servers with Gmail or my host *and* local export copies, I'm hoping I have all the bases covered!

Hardware wise, still on the MBP as my personal machine and acting as family 'admin' for one desktop and four laptops (HP and Samsung) belonging to my wife and daughters. I'm more at home with the Galaxy S5 as my smartphone, podcast player (Pocket Cast), audiobook player (Mort AB Player) and loving my Fiio DAP for my music (even if it is hard to read without my glasses).

We had to replace my youngest daughter's Surface 2 (bought for schoolwork) with a small HP notebook as the Windows 8 RT OS on the Surface was unable to load and run a number of key math and science apps required by the school. [Grrrr - school never pointed out the specific requirements]. Before I put the Surface on TradeMe (NZ's eBay), I posted a quick 'for sale' to close friends on Facebook and a former colleague on the other side of the country paid 4/5ths of the original price which got the switch-out closer to cost neutral.

Right, I'm off to nervously delete all me email accounts - see you on the other side.

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

Bert Latamore

Mar 24, 2015, 10:29:31 AM3/24/15
to woyp
Best of luck, Buzz.

I also love my FiiO. My only problem is that when I finish listening to an album I always end up back at the top of the album list and have to scroll down an increasingly long way to the next one. The iPod would leave you on the album you just heard. But that is a small issue as the scrolling is fast and easy to do.

Buzz

Mar 25, 2015, 12:17:08 AM3/25/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Bert.

The rebuild seems to have gone well.

Twenty four hours in, all accounts have imported and balanced with what is on the various servers across three providers and [famous last words] I haven't found any issues so far. I'll give it another 24 hours and then do a complete backup of the new setup.

I have also implemented a few ideas from this article to have a cleaner, more focused UI to work with (see shot below).

Just had the call for the dinner table so bye for now.

Buzz

Bob Roberts

Mar 25, 2015, 7:37:40 PM3/25/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
CONGRATULATIONS!
Glad that went relatively smoothly for you.
I know things like that can be rather daunting.
Just packed my Palm and charger, along with other desk stuff, today
Was tempted to play a bit, but ,uist keep focused here.  There will be plenty of play time once the move is done.

I have also implemented a few ideas from this article <http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/internet-howto/turning-mail-app-into-the-best-mac-email-app/> to have a cleaner, more focused UI to work with (see shot below).

Just had the call for the dinner table so bye for now.

Buzz

Buzz

Mar 26, 2015, 12:57:17 AM3/26/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Bob

Thanks!

I think my next project of a similar ilk will be to try and find a more structured way of storing information. Like many, I have tried most apps and have a heap of info/data spread across numerous and disparate apps/systems.

Funnily enough, a commenter on the page I liked to below provided a link to a long article[1] he wrote about his experience of doing the same, which itself links to a good few other resources and Mark Hurst's book Bit Literacy:Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload.

When I worked in telecoms, I knew a few ubergeeks who swore by the One Big Text File method but that's a step too far for me, so I'm looking forward to wasting a heap of time reading a bunch of stuff about how to store the bits I hoard :-)

Cheers

Buzz