Re: [woyp] Digest for woyp@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Bob Roberts

Jan 20, 2016, 5:18:55 PM1/20/16
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses Buzz and Bert,  It's really good to hear from you guys.  I miss the chats.

So, if we want to discuss "other platforms" are we OK to do it here?  Or do you guys belong to any other email groups where such agnostic talk would be more proper?

Buzz, how goes the B&B?  I've sometimes toyed with that idea.  Living in the country just 10 miles from the James farm, "the homeplace of Jesse James", and in an area that is rich in such "wild west" history, I've wondered about doing a B&B geared on local cowboy history theme.

Bert, is the S6 a lot different from the S4, which my wife has?  She's looked at them a bit, but didn't like the idea of a non-user replaceable battery.  She's had to replace the battery in the S4 in the past.

Again, very nice to hear from you!
Bobby

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 2:00 PM, <wo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bob Roberts <bgi...@gmail.com>: Jan 20 12:15PM -0600

Just thought I'd "stir the pot" a little in the WOYP group.

I've been looking at my Palm Tungsten E2 and debating if I want to
resurrect it now. What with Android and Windows tablets here now, I'm
not sure what the Palm can offer.

Easy synchronization with a desktop is one thing.

Anyone using the Palm on a regular basis now?

Bobby
BigNosed UglyGuy <bignose...@gmail.com>: Jan 21 07:58AM +1300

Good morning from New Zealand, Bob

My initial 'first coffee of the day' thoughts.

My Android phone (a Galaxy S5) provides me with all the functionality I
think I need in one device.

It syncs well in multiple ways - via Exchange for work mail/PIM functions;
via Google for all they offer etc - with my work laptop and my personal
MacBook and offers many useful and diverting apps and games that I have no
time to explore. I am fairly platform agnostic (Palm, Apple, Windows, Linux
etc can all be found in my house) so I am sure that an iPhone or other
device would provide pretty much the same experience.

However, there is one thing that your Palm (and my old Psion clam shell
devices and their like) offer and that is - constraint.

As I discovered as a teenage drummer with a leg and an arm in plaster casts
(long story) and a gig to play just 7 days away, constraints provide us
with something to push against and challenge us to seek new ways to achieve
tasks. With a million apps that cover every conceivable need just a click
away, we lose the opportunity to take up the challenge to seek out and
develop our own solutions.

I wrote the following blog post 14 years ago after working out how to use
my Palm IIIx and Nokia 6210 together for internet and mail.

"Whilst the Nokia 6210
<http://www.nokia.com/phones/6210/specifications.html> is a fine WAP phone
with Bluetooth connectivity
<http://www.nokia.com/phones/6210/bluetooth_specs.html>, it doesn't have
half the functionality of a Palm loaded with the right apps. WAP phones are
great for the odd SMS message, news headline and weather check. However,
why settle for that, when 10 minutes tinkering will give you so much more?
How about mobile email retrieval handling? Full feature-rich browsing?
Remote access to your PC? Interested? Read on."

http://www.bignoseduglyguy.com/archives/000225.html

While none of this was beyond most users, it was great to tinker, come up
with solution and then share them (pre-Creative Commons!)

Right, work beckons

Buzz

--
bignoseduglyguy
http://www.bignoseduglyguy.com

I gave up on my Palm several years ago when it crashed once too often and I
decided I wouldn't spend half a day rebuilding the environment I had. With
the Galaxy S6 I bought last spring I finally have a pocket sized device
that replaces the Palm functionality pretty much. It does not do quite
everything (no good replacement for Pocket Quicken), but on the other had
does communications much better. I do keep my personal journal on it,
writing in Word 365, and my diet and other personal things. it also is a
pretty good camera. And it has GPS (and WAZE) and other useful applications
that I never had on a Palm. Battery life is an issue but I have chargers
everywhere and have some external batteries that I carry when I am mobile
to supplement the internal battery.

So I really don't miss the Palm that much. the one thing it did have was
superior privacy, since the Palm didn't connect to anything except through
my computer when I did a sync. Today I handle backups by plugging the phone
into my computer through USB and doing a drag and drop to copy my files to
the computer and/or cloud storage.

Bert

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM, BigNosed UglyGuy <bignose...@gmail.com

--
Bert Latamore
(703) 340-8396

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having
their motives questioned.
BigNosed UglyGuy <bignose...@gmail.com>: Jan 21 08:32AM +1300

Bert

"but I have chargers everywhere and have some external batteries that I
carry when I am mobile to supplement the internal battery."

That's for the S6, not you - right? ;-)

--
bignoseduglyguy
http://www.bignoseduglyguy.com

Bert Latamore

Jan 20, 2016, 6:36:12 PM1/20/16
to woyp
I definitely miss the chats also. We spent 4 days in Iceland last week. I took my Surface 2 Pro as well as the Galaxy 6S & Moire had her Galaxy 3S. We had no local cell phone service there this time, but we used the phones to take photos and make notes. We brought three external recharger batteries, including one that can recharge both phones simultaneously and can deliver four recharges to a cell phone. Basically we used that battery during the day as we traveled around for recharging and then recharged the battery at night in our hotel room. Worked very well.

I only used the tablet in the hotel. I brought it mainly to track our expenses in Quicken and to read The Washington Post, which I get electronically, although I can and sometimes do read the paper on my 6S. This also worked well.

It's always fun when I actually take my devices somewhere. I work from home, so I use them most of the time in the house or on local errands.

Bert

BigNosed UglyGuy

Jan 21, 2016, 3:49:23 PM1/21/16
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob (and everyone else)

On topic bit

 “So, if we want to discuss "other platforms" are we OK to do it here?  Or do you guys belong to any other email groups where such agnostic talk would be more proper?”

Given Palm has retracted from the market and most, if not all of us, have moved on to other devices, I’d be keen to extend / wider the discussion – maybe restyle us as Writing On Your Personal (Device)? Rather than trying to sort the wheat from the chaff in the countless online forums/groups, I’d value the wider discussion with folk I know and have had good discourse with already.

Off topic bit :-)

Buzz, how goes the B&B?  I've sometimes toyed with that idea.  Living in the country just 10 miles from the James farm, "the homeplace of Jesse James", and in an area that is rich in such "wild west" history, I've wondered about doing a B&B geared on local cowboy history theme.

Based on your location and a great unique selling point, I’d say you have the potential for a great little business. A bit of market research on what's on offer locally and where you might fit in would help firm up what your options might be. Feel free to contact me off-list to chat things through if you'd like.

Our B&B has really taken off this season (our third summer since opening). The first year was all about researching the market, learning the basics and nuances of the business, and carefully listening to our initial customers’ feedback.

In the second, we worked on fine tuning our ‘product’ (redecorated guest apartment, better linen and kitchen accessories etc.) and building our online presence/Facebook following (not a major channel for us but a good way to relate ‘our story’).  We also toured the surrounding regions to place our brochures in tourist offices in town that are a day’s drive from our place (to capture more of the road trip tourist market).

About ten months ago and after some more research, we chose to place ourselves on AirB&B and booking.com. While the former has generated just two enquires (I don’t think we really fit the trendy urban loft/funky tree house market they aim for), listing with booking.com has increased our business significantly. The rough numbers for the 2105 calendar year show a room occupancy rate of almost exactly 33% (one night in every three) which we think is pretty good for a rural one room operation that is either vacant or booked.

We have kept the same focus throughout – in a market mostly made up of high-end ‘luxury’ offerings or bargain basic accommodation - our aim has been to provide a home-away-from-home with all you need to relax and feel comfortable, whether for a night of a couple of weeks. The comments in our own visitors’ book and the feedback on booking.com would seem to indicate that Wendy’s high standard of room presentation, attention to detail and a fair-not-greedy price point are a winning combination.

Cheers

Buzz

On 21 January 2016 at 11:18, Bob Roberts <bgi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the responses Buzz and Bert,  It's really good to hear from you guys.  I miss the chats.

So, if we want to discuss "other platforms" are we OK to do it here?  Or do you guys belong to any other email groups where such agnostic talk would be more proper?

Buzz, how goes the B&B?  I've sometimes toyed with that idea.  Living in the country just 10 miles from the James farm, "the homeplace of Jesse James", and in an area that is rich in such "wild west" history, I've wondered about doing a B&B geared on local cowboy history theme.

BigNosed UglyGuy

Jan 21, 2016, 3:58:20 PM1/21/16
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Good to learn how folk are using their devices, especially while traveling. I'll be heading back to the UK in August for the first time since emigrating 11 years ago and am wondering what to take with me. My current thinking is taking my S5 (which I'll use with a local UK provider SIM) for phone/SMS/email on the move and my Nexus 7 and wi-fi for everything when we're not on the move.

Buzz