downgrading for win

Brenda Wallace

Apr 30, 2014, 9:10:07 PM4/30/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
i downgraded from nexus something to a S3 mini..
the apps i want barey fit in the memory -- but wow it's nice to have a phone that fits in my jeans pocket again.

i wish android would use the sd card better.

Buzz

May 1, 2014, 1:15:13 AM5/1/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Brenda

The Nexus 7 is a late birthday present to myself, primarily intended for use as as a couch-based consumption device. I am still awaiting the S5 (which I could never justify buying myself) but do wonder how it will be as a carry everywhere device, as it is bigger than the current HTC 8 I have from work.

I agree about SD cards … and to think that 13 years ago, folk were cooing over the CF card slot in the HandEra 330 and TRGPro :-)

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

Bert Latamore

May 1, 2014, 9:08:10 AM5/1/14
to woyp
Small phone, big tablet is my strategy. I carry a n Android phone the size of a Palm PDA and these days a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. It is blow away, believe me, but it is book size and much thicker than the Android and Apple tablets. But it has more than 5 hrs of work life in its battery, and it often will go the whole day when I am not working on it constantly. I'll trade extra weight for extra battery life any day. And when I go to something social I just don't carry the tablet.
--
Bert Latamore
(703) 340-8396

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Man Ching Cheung

May 1, 2014, 11:57:54 AM5/1/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Nice; just to keep the conversation going: I had the dual device strategy for a while, and then settled back to a big phone, but single device, strategy (Galaxy Note 2). It's the long way to get there, but I feel like like I'm back in the about 6 years ago, lusting after a Toshiba PocketPC phone with a vga screen. :)

mcc
Man Ching Cheung, Ph.D.
Clinical Engineer
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Brigham and Women's Hospital
mobile:  617 872 7186
email: mc.c...@gmail.com | mcch...@partners.org

Donald Stidwell

May 1, 2014, 12:02:47 PM5/1/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Realistically, I could probably get along with just my iPhone - it really does pretty much all I need. But in truth, I’m an Apple and gadget addict so I have way too may devices. iPod Touch, iPhone 5s, iPad Air, Macbook Air and Mac Mini. If I had to get rid of all but 2, I’d go with the iPhone and Macbook Air. These 2 devices would really be all I need.

--
...prosigo a la meta, al premio del supremo llamamiento de Dios en Cristo Jesús.” (Filipenses 3:14 RVR60)

Bert Latamore

May 1, 2014, 1:12:44 PM5/1/14
to woyp
of course I used to do everything on my Palm including PocketQuicken, Pimlical, even note taking at meetings and conferences and occasionally drafting stories. I also read novels on it, etc.

One big problem I ran into when I had to move to Android is that some of the applications I depended on don't run on it. I have never succeeded in getting Quicken to run on it. The problem is that QUicken on Android wants to pull transactions directly from my checking account, and it is set up presuming a single log-in page. But my bank uses two pages, the first for the account number and the second for the password. Also if I can't enter things as I spend them, before they hit my bank, it defeats the purpose of having Quicken on my portable device.

And Pimlical for ANdroid is just not as good as Pimlical on Windows. For one thing I have never succeeded in getting it to organize tasks the way I want them, and since I have a list of tasks always that is a big issue.

The Surface is basically a small laptop in a tablet format. I did not buy the attached keyboard as I have a nice Microsoft ergonomic keyboard that I use when I am at my desk and have it set up as a laptop. In mobile configuration I normally use the virtual keyboard on the screen, but I also have a Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard that works with it. It does everything, and it is blazing fast. The one limitation is it does not have a large storage capacity, and my next purchase is going to be a portable hard drive to attach throu the USB. But it runs all my Windows applications with only a few minor work-arounds, mainly in Pimlical.

Bert

Brenda Wallace

May 1, 2014, 5:19:03 PM5/1/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

I feel the same, Bert. I never found a calendar and to do app as good as agendus. I had to do and calendar integration. I would go over my calendar each evening, ticking off what I'd done that day (ie did the meeting happen) and think of solutions to things and write them down immediately as notes linked to that meeting. I think I slept better because I'd done that offload process. Even the silly icons per meeting  was useful.

Bert Latamore

May 1, 2014, 7:28:38 PM5/1/14
to woyp
Even with everybody sending meeting invites for Google calendar, I hand enter everytjing into Pimlical. It has more features for organizing information, particularly the task list, but mostly I have more control. A week or so ago I realized that my Google calendar has shifted to California time for reasons I do not know, and I cannot find any way to correct it. I live on the east coast of the US, so everything in the Google calendar is three hours ahead of time. Annoying.

Brenda Wallace

May 1, 2014, 7:56:14 PM5/1/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

In the Web ui, settings, your current time zone.

Bert Latamore

May 2, 2014, 9:16:07 AM5/2/14
to woyp
Thanks, Brenda.

Buzz

May 2, 2014, 6:20:35 PM5/2/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Bert

I looked at the Google Play page for Pimlical and read the reviews.  One of the things a reviewer called out as a disincentive was seeing an app with a '90s look and feel on a twenty-teens phone. Like many on the list, I suspect, I saw the DateBk icons and the unsmoothed fonts and felt a pang for my Palms!

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

Kev

May 2, 2014, 8:40:57 PM5/2/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Check out Pocket Informant. I used Datebook on my Palm. When I moved to iPhone discovered PI. It integrates well with Google Calendar and tasks and Evernote. Or can be completely stand-a-lone. Has Web services as well. Now I am on Android and find the Android version just as good.