portable word processor

Aaron Gonzalez

Oct 9, 2017, 11:19:20 PM10/9/17
to WOYP
Hey everyone (all 4 of you left)!

I've recently started getting into both electronics and custom mechanical keyboards.

I think I'm going to try and make a portable word processor as a project for myself.  Earlier this year I picked up an Alphasmart Neo 2 on ebay for about $20. I always wanted one of those back in the day, but they were pricey and not worth it. For $20 though? Totally worth it.

I've been loving the distraction free writing of it, and the batteries seemingly will never run out -- from what I've read online it seems they will last for months.

I want to build a similar device myself so I can make it use the kinds of keyboard switches I like, have the layout I want, etc.

If/when I get to a prototyping phase, I'll probably post about it here and maybe ask some of you to do some testing on it if you're up for that.

anyway, just thought i'd give an update to you all. Hope everyone's doing ok.

-Aaron

Buzz

Oct 10, 2017, 2:09:37 AM10/10/17
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Kia ora from New Zealand Aaron!

Sounds like a fun project - I’m not familiar with the Neos. I recall doing some writing (but not much) on my old Psion clamshell PDAs but the keyboards were pretty small and hard to use (esp. as I’m a two finger typist). I can see how they could meet the distraction-free needs for some writers. As someone who starting trying Markdown a couple of years back, I can definitely see the attraction of having a simple device that also allows some formatting through Markdown.

I found a few write ups on using the Neo and it seems that you are joining a bunch of folks who are getting great milage and productivity out of these things

https://jennifermack.net/2015/01/29/writing-with-the-alphasmart-neo2/

Sadly, I’m not doing a heap of fun writing at the moment but enjoyed a brief flirt with poetry earlier in the year.  I have a MBPro as my main machine but am trying to move to my (lighter/cheaper/more easily replaced) Lenovo Thinkpad 13 Chromebook for when I’m on the road (needs a good few USB-C dongles to ensure I can present / cast in any venue.

After 12 years in public service, I was laid off so I have started my own training and facilitation company. Much of my writing now is course development, desktop research on workplace psychology, client updates and the usual business stuff. Currently living in MS Office (for Mac and the free online apps) and using Google’s GSuite for comms and storage. I’d been especially keen on hearing anyone’s experience / opinion on GSuite vs. Office 365 - most clients seem to remain wedded to the latter and Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

Great to see a post here, Aaron - look forward to swapping a few more!

Bert Latamore

Oct 10, 2017, 2:40:45 PM10/10/17
to woyp
Hi Aaron, Buzz,

What file format does the Neo 2 use? Is it easy to get files out of it for backup and for moving to another machine or posting on a blog, that sort of thing? Just curious, I am very happy with my Surface Pro 4. I don't have the attention problem that some people seem to have on my computer. I just ignore Facebook when I am working or reading.

Good luck building your own portable word processor. That sounds like an interesting project.

Buzz, hope your new business is prospering. How is the B&B doing? Are the girls all prospering?

All the best to both of you, Bert

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/woyp.

Bert Latamore
(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Buzz

Oct 10, 2017, 2:58:14 PM10/10/17
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Bert

From my reading, the Neo uses plain ol’ .txt files (hence the Markdown compatibility). As for transfer, t’s pretty simply - check out the video at the second link in my last message.

The B&B is going well - just heading out of the quieter winter season when we usually only have a handful of drive-ups and pre-bookings along with our regular business travellers. Lambing and calving is over (8 new lambs and 3 calves this year) but, after a very wet winter, our paddocks are like sponges and we can’t mow so it’s all a bit of a jungle at the moment.

It’s early days for the business but the website is up (after a few hassles) and I have secured my first client. I am thankful that I have a good friend who I supported while he was setting up a similar business 10 years ago. He is now regularly using me as a contract trainer, facilitator and content developer - releasing him to work on his business (rather than in it) and grow it to the next level. This has been invaluable in providing some cashflow in the early months and helping me build my own business slowly without the panic of wondering how I will pay the mortgage!

Must dash - I’m on day 3 of 15 days work, training local government pools and leisure staff in customer service and communication skills - as I need to set up the training room and greet my attendees.

Cheers

Aaron Gonzalez

Oct 10, 2017, 3:27:58 PM10/10/17
to WOYP
Hey Bert,

It stores everything as plain text. There was a desktop app that let you drag those off the device and onto your comp, but I've never used it.

When you plug the neo into your comp, it shows up as a keyboard. You can just open up a blank text document on your comp, open the file on the neo, then press "send" on the neo.

The neo will then essentially type the entire file out at a decent speed into the open file on your comp. It's not the fastest, but it's neat.

Richard Cartwright

Oct 11, 2017, 1:49:51 PM10/11/17
to woyp
Sounds like an interesting project. I think my Alphasmart is my last working Palm OS device.

Aaron Gonzalez

Oct 11, 2017, 2:57:41 PM10/11/17
to WOYP
" I think my Alphasmart is my last working Palm OS device."

I still  have a working Treo 600 that I use as a nightstand clock/alarm, a TX, and a Centro I think.

The Treo is seen daily, but rarely touched. It just sits there doing its job. The others are just in a drawer.

The Neo 2 is definitely the only Palm OS device I am actively using though.

Buzz

Oct 11, 2017, 3:01:28 PM10/11/17
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Sad to say that my IIIx and Tungsten 5 are now related to an occasional charge and tinker - but still remember the thrill of the possibilities they opened up when they were the latest thing. I can still hear the beedle-le-be’ of the sync process in my mind! :-)

Bert Latamore

Nov 13, 2017, 12:51:59 PM11/13/17
to woyp
I purchased the Google Surface 2 LG a few weeks ago to replace my Samsung Galaxy 6. The deal was too good not to take, including 3 years of interest free financing. So far I love the new phone, and it is replacing things I was doing on my Surface 4. Since buying it I have read some reports of screen burn in but have not seen any evidence of burn in so far. The phone is very fast in response, has a battery that lasts 8 hours+ of actual use, including playing podcasts and music, keeping my journal where I make frequent notes throughout the day, keeping up with my social media, and reading magazines and books. The larger (6 inch diagonal) screen and noticeably better screen resolution makes it comfortable to reads magazines and newspapers on the phone rather than using the Surface, as I was doing previously.

The camera is excellent, certainly better than the Galaxy 6, and the low light photography is beautiful, as Google promised. I don't know if it is the best smart phone camera on the market, and so far I have not found anyone who is buying the iPhone X among my friends, so I have no way of doing comparative tests, but as a semi=professional photographer I am very happy with this as a camera.

As part of this deal, I moved my mobile number to Google's Project Fi. And for the first time in the 12.5 years I have lived on Blue Mountain in rural Virginia, I have good cellular service. That is huge for me. The several carriers we have tried previously were mostly Sprint resellers. Project Fi combines service from Sprint with at least two other US carriers, and that seems to have made the difference. I can now use my mobile number to make business as well as personal calls. Of course I don't need to have a Pixel to use Project Fi, Google is happy to provide a free SIM card to anyone who wants to subscribe to it.

Issues include:
  • The single port is a USB 4, so some peripherals from the Samsung do not attach (but since I don't need to use an external battery on this phone, this is not a major issue.)
  • The adaptor to support wired earplugs is the wrong size for any earplugs I have or have had for years. The solution was to get a Bluetooth headset. Moire found one for me for about $32 that is very nice.
  • Backing up data (both HanDBase databases and photos) to the Surface is not nearly as easy as it was with the Samsung. On that phone it was simply a matter of plugging the phone into the Surface and doing a drag and drop. With the Pixel for whatever reason the Surface is unable to read the phone. I did find a way to back up the databases, but this is specific to HanDBase. I have not wet solved the problem of moving photos. Google provides basically unlimited storage for photos in the cloud, but the issues there are first that I want to edit them in the Surface, with its much larger screen, and depending ion Google to store my photos locks me into that vendor. I prefer to have double backups with one local on an external solid state drive.
So that is the quick rundown. Overall I can recommend the Pixel 2 LG. I will update as I have new things to report and keep watching for any screen burn-in.

Bert

Buzz

Nov 14, 2017, 12:19:14 AM11/14/17
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Bert

Thanks for the interesting write up.

After suffering in the heat and humidity during our visit to the jungles of Sabah in July, my trusty Galaxy S5 died a slow death. After lots of research online, I picked up an dual SIM LG V20 for a very favourable price from NZ’s leading discount tech retailer. After some adjustment while transiting from Samsung’s flavour of Android to LG’s, I have found the phone to be a great work tool for my new post-redundancy business (phone, email, text, messaging, PIM, business/credit card banking, some writing and even presenting slide decks on occasion) and good for social media, web surfing and the odd movie. Battery is decent but I give it a hammering so have a car charger and Swiss Mobility power brick for long days working remotely or travelling.

While I have little to compare it to, I am very happy with the flexibility and results of the camera. Both stills and videos are fine for what I need and the sound system (Hifi Quad DAC [whatever that is] on NZ imports, rather than Bang & Olsen on the Far East model) is great for tweaking music and podcast to suit my two-tone tinnitus. I also live rurally where we can only access one provider. They recently upgraded the local mast to supposedly enable access to 4G but service varies between this and 2G in my home office most days. That said, very fast when on 4G in the city.

All in all, very happy with my purchase.

Bert Latamore

Nov 14, 2017, 6:04:56 AM11/14/17
to woyp
Buzz,

Glad you like the LG20. I read that it has a very good camera. Care to post a photo or two?

I recommend the OtterBox defender case for your phone3. It is a small investment that will add up to longer life for the phone, protects it from breakage but is NOT waterproof, so don't take it swimming.

Buzz

Nov 14, 2017, 3:55:32 PM11/14/17
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Bert

Here’s a random selection from recent weeks. When I have time, I’ll look for the best ones.

The two of my friend’s homemade church are to show the original shot and a tweaked version using on-phone filters and software.

Bert Latamore

Jul 6, 2018, 2:16:43 PM7/6/18
to woyp
Hi Buzz,

How are things down under? I hope you and your family are all prospering. How are the girls? Grown up now I imagine.

All these years I have been listening to "This Way Up" as a podcast. You recommended this to me originally, and I found it entertaining and informative. Several times I learned about things going on in US, particularly in the tech area, from it before I read about them from my news sources. Now sadly it is ending. I wondered if there was another podcast about New Zealand life that I might listen to.

All the best, Bert

Jon Dunning (Buzz)

Jul 7, 2018, 3:09:13 AM7/7/18
to wo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bert

Life is pretty good thanks; compared to many, I certainly have very little to moan about.

Just entering my second year of running own business) again after my 3rd redundancy last year. I’m running design sprints, delivering leadership training and facilitating strategic planning and development sessions. After some spousal stress over working from home, I’m now renting a desk in a little co-working space with a few creatives which is fun, if an added cost I could do without.

I am initially bootstrapping the business by working as a contractor for others in the same fields. The first year has been OK, mainly due to a good friend, who I contracted to deliver training for me years ago, doing the same for me now.. That said, the biggest cheque to date was from one of my own clients who flew me to Kuala Lumpur and Manila to work with their leadership teams there.  Things are a bit tight at the moment but prayers, planning and persistence are seeing me through for now.

As for the family, life trundles on. Only No.4, the youngest who in the last few months of high school, is still at home presently. No. 1 is living in a shared house 25kms away, working in a kindergarten and heads home for food and TLC every third or fourth weekend. No.2 is in her last month of a 18 month teaching stint in our old neighbourhood in London. That said, we’ve had some drama in the last two weeks as she had a burst appendix which went septic and so has spent much of the last ten days in hospital. Luckily, friends and colleagues have been great supporting her and she’s on the mend now. No.3 is training is just starting the last year of nursing degree (mid-year start), working in an aged care facility and living in a tiny house on my friend’s farm when she’s not surfing or on a road trip (currently on NZ’s South Island).

Gadget wise, I’m still enjoying the LG V20 as my phone/camera/pocket office. My 3 year old MacBook Pro has been relegated to personal desktop and Netflix duties after a conference room sound system in Manila fried the sound card in April (sound only via Bluetooth now). For the most part, my business and road warrior tasks are done on a 2018 Surface Pro i5 - with docking station and additional screen when in the office along with a heap of external hard drives and bluetooth pen, mouse and headphones. Works well with Office 365 package and all my cloud storage stuff.

I must admit I have not been searching out too many NZ podcasts recently but here’s a few and some places to look.

New Zealand podcasts

https://www.podcasts.nz/

A stable of podcasts curated by Paul Spain. I have tried a few over time but none recently.

Podcasts from NZ's NPR equivalent

https://www.radionz.co.nz/podcasts

I have listened to:

  • At The Movies - film reviews and film related news.
  • Country Life - good rural stories, interviews and the like.
  • Checkpoint - nightly news magazine by (IMO) NZ's best broadcaster, John Campbell (who has been lured back to TV as of September).

There also some great one-off shows and short series on topics of interest, so check the whole list

Kiwimana podcast

https://kiwimana.co.nz/new-zealand-podcasts/

Another curated rural/eco biased list from Gary, a well-known beekeeper and a former colleague of mine, including his own beekeeping show.

NZ History podcasts

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/handsonhistory/downloads-and-podcasts

Right, off to get a glass of wine and watch a movie in front of the fire.

Buzz

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/woyp.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

Jul 7, 2018, 12:49:30 PM7/7/18
to woyp
Hi John,

Great to hear from you, I thoroughly sympathize with your financial pressures as a freelancer. I live the same sort of life. I am no longer covering IT conferences for SiliconAngle, The project did not work out the way we hoped, and they are having financial issues and let several people go, including me. Right now I am writing a book on the evolution of the enterprise for another client. This is a major project, but it is progressing steadily. I have been working for this client, Solix Technology, for about 12 years, writing white papers and blogs mostly. The book starts with the technological, sociological, and ecological forces powering disruption in almost all markets, and then focuses on how enterprises need to become much more agile to survive and thrive in this environment. From there it looks at how Big Data and related technologies such as machine learning, automation, and predictive AI can be the basis for restructuring the enterprise to achieve maximum agility. I am glad to hear that your girls are doing well. The appendicitis was a close call, glad she is recovering now.

Moire, who retired from the US government several years ago has a thriving business tutoring adults in English as a second language over Skype. She has students all over the US plus in several other countries including China and Saudi Arabia. She does all her work from one of the small bedrooms in our little house. What a world we live in. She teaches students at all levels, but onw if her main focuses is helping people with a string grasp of English already lose accents. At the other end of the spectrum she also has two adult literacy students. One is a neighbor who is in his 20s and has Down Syndrome. Joey is a great guy, but he was completely illiterate and wanted to be able to read. After about a year, he is now reading simple books by himself and to his mother and learning new words by sounding them out. Moire hopes to get him up to 5th grade level. She used to teach adult literacy as a volunteer when we lived outside Washington DC, but she had no experience with down syndrome before Joey.

So she is making money. Then we have my Social Security and her government retirement and Social Security. So we are doing okay financially. Not rich, but we make our mortgage payment every month and have food in the house. And we are happy together. So life is good.

We have had a busy time this spring. In early June we attended my 50th college reunion at Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA, which is a two hour drive north of our house. My best friend, Doug McGaw, and his wife met us there. Doug & I met our sophomore year at Dickinson and have been close friends ever since. He lives in eastern Kansas, so we do not get together often.

We went from there to Cass, West Virginia, where we met Moire's brother, Alan. He is an instructor in geography at San Diego State University and had spent the weekend correcting Advanced Placement exams in Cleveland, Ohio. He does that every June after the university starts its summer break. The AP people always fly him some where in the Midwest, and this year it was close enough for us to meet in the middle. We had a great time. Alan is a great guy and a lot of fun to be with, with a droll sense of humor and curiosity about many things. Cass is the home of the Cass Scenic RR, a steam powered mountain railroad originally built to transport logs off the third highest mountain in the state to a mill at the base of the mountain. Today it remains as a tourist railroad and is a lot of fun. I will send some photos.

Then at the end of the month I drove seven hours south to the Outer Banks to spend time with my son, Andrew, and DIL, Stacey, and my two grandchildren, Leo (6)  and Sophia (3). We had a great time there. I took the sunset panorama I attached on the beach there.

Tuesday we go off to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in the Blue Ridge in North Carolina. This is an annual event for us. Moire's uncle was the cofounder of the games in the 1950s, and Moire runs the Celtic harp tent and competition and helps with the church service and Kirkin' of the Tartans. I help her with both of those and have a good time seeing friends we only see once a year. After that things will get back to normal.

Gadget wise I bought a Microsoft Surface 4 in May 2017 that is my workhorse. I use it as both a tablet and laptop with a detached keyboard and mouse. I am writing this e-mail on it sitting in my livingroom. And in November I bought a Google Pixel 2 that is my camera, smartphone, podcast player and a lot of other things. The camera and associated software is excellent. I take all my photos with it now as my Nikon camera body has died.

So all the best,

Bert

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/woyp.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

PSX_20180701_180630.jpg

Brenda Wallace

Jul 7, 2018, 3:45:06 PM7/7/18
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Some nz podcasts for you Buzz.

Access granted.

Taringa

Risky biz

Bert Latamore

Bert Latamore

Jul 7, 2018, 4:59:59 PM7/7/18
to woyp
A sunset photo from the beach on the Outer Banks, North Carolina. I took this with my Pixel 2 on the last Thursday in June.
PSX_20180701_180630.jpg

Jon Dunning (Buzz)

Jul 7, 2018, 5:24:14 PM7/7/18
to wo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brenda

Thanks for these. I have just ‘pruned’ my podcast subscriptions and am working through the backlog of those that remain, so new blood is welcomed!

Hope all is well with you and the family. Have been in Wellington a bit more for work in the last year – mostly leading design sprints and facilitating training for ministry folk.

Have a restful Sunday.

Buzz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jon Dunning (Buzz)

Aaron Gonzalez

Jul 9, 2018, 12:49:25 PM7/9/18
to WOYP
I've got no meaningful updates besides going to check out Arizona to possibly move to next year.

Nice to see WOYP emails pop up in my inbox though!

Bert Latamore

robi...@comcast.net

Jul 9, 2018, 3:02:24 PM7/9/18
to Brenda Wallace, wo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.  Glad to see some of the old crew. The only writing I am.dloing is maintaining my blog.

Robin T.

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Jul 9, 2018, 3:47:54 PM7/9/18
to woyp
goodday all. Working on a SF trilogy If that is your thing I am looking for some alpha readers who won't pull punches.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/woyp.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

(703) 340-8396
Freelance Writer covering the intersection between IT and business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Richard D. Cartwright
901-493-6612

__________________________________

If Dante had known about daytime television the Ninth Circle of Hell would have TV sets.

Bert Latamore

Jul 9, 2018, 4:07:32 PM7/9/18
to woyp
Richard,

I would be glad to be one of your readers. I am a professional freelance journalist and editor in the IT industry and an old SF fan. I am not up on the latest trends in SF, but what I would read it for is things like clarity of writing, including sentence and paragraph construction, overall flow and pacing, and the use of telling details. Also character development, descriptions, and plot development, of course. If the technology is vital to the book I might also weigh in on it, but I certainly understand that sometimes fiction writers invent technologies like faster than light drive or transporters to avoid awkward, repetitive issues that are not germane to the plot.

I got a novel awhile ago from someone I knew through work, and he filled it will piles of unnecessary detail. I didn't critique it since it was already published.

All the best, Bert

Jesper Anderson

Jul 10, 2018, 6:18:25 PM7/10/18
to woyp
Good to see some activity here.

I found myself a new carry-around toy for my writing. Well, I'm slowly turning it into an actual tool by working on a fantasy/sf story, but so far it's a toy. It's a King Jim Pomera DM100, from Japan. Basically a keyboard with an e-ink screen, light and sturdy, and runs on 2 AA batteries. It allows me to write in Japanese and English, which is good enough for me.

I've been trying out all manner of setups, with a Mac keyboard and an iPad, and a folding keyboard, and a small keyboard, but this seems to work the best for me. We shall see.

Otherwise I am mostly reading stuff and working, and traveling much too little.

Jesper

Aaron Gonzalez

Jul 10, 2018, 11:00:58 PM7/10/18
to WOYP
Man I have been drooling over the DM100 and its predecessors for over a year. I just can't  bring myself to spend the money on one!

I'm super jealous, Jesper!

Buzz

Jul 11, 2018, 1:48:50 AM7/11/18
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Aaron

You could compromise and pick up an Alphasmart NEO on eBay for $19 like this fella!

;-)

Aaron Gonzalez

Jul 11, 2018, 2:36:02 AM7/11/18
to WOYP
I actually have 2 Alphasmart Neo 2s! Love those things. They're just not commuter friendly for me since I travel light.

The big selling point of those Japanese devices was them folding up small in size like the old Palm Stowaway Keyboard. Mmm I miss that thing.

Bert Latamore

Jul 16, 2018, 9:59:01 AM7/16/18
to woyp
oire and I  just finished the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in North Carolina. And I learned to do something new with my Pixel 2 in photography. Photospheres are the new thing in still photography. They are a photograph of an entire environment from the top of the sky to the grass underfoot. Until recently they have required a special camera shaped like a ball with several lenses that sits on a tripod. But I have discovered that I can do them with the Pixel 2. the process is straightforward but a little athletic. You select "photosphere" while your camera is aimed at where you want to start, and the software displays a blue spot that you align with a circle on your screen. From there you move from blue spot to blue spot with the camera taking a photo every time you have one aligned until you have taken all the photos required, while the software builds the sphere. I took three from the center of the grounds at the games.

We run the Celtic Harp tent at these games. This year I took videos of a couple of the contestants just for practice and did videos of a master piper, EJ Jones, who also runs the music for the games.

So I am having fun with my toy.

Bert

On 11/07/2018, at 10:18, Jesper Anderson <jes...@pobox.com> wrote:

Good to see some activity here.

I found myself a new carry-around toy for my writing. Well, I'm slowly turning it into an actual tool by working on a fantasy/sf story, but so far it's a toy. It's a King Jim Pomera DM100, from Japan. Basically a keyboard with an e-ink screen, light and sturdy, and runs on 2 AA batteries. It allows me to write in Japanese and English, which is good enough for me.

I've been trying out all manner of setups, with a Mac keyboard and an iPad, and a folding keyboard, and a small keyboard, but this seems to work the best for me. We shall see.

Otherwise I am mostly reading stuff and working, and traveling much too little.

Jesper

Aaron Gonzalez

Jul 16, 2018, 12:56:38 PM7/16/18
to WOYP
I'm a fan of photospheres. Been doing them for a few years now (you could do this on Nexus phones before the Pixels too) and always dig the results.

Bonus if you use the Google DayDream VR headset and load them up in google photos so you can swivel around in your chair and see everything as you did.

That's been a big hit with family when I come back from vacations.