Who is still here?

Brenda Wallace

Apr 18, 2014, 5:43:46 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

Man Ching Cheung

Apr 18, 2014, 5:44:28 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

I'm here!

mcc

On Apr 18, 2014 5:43 PM, "Brenda Wallace" <brenda....@gmail.com> wrote:

Richard Cartwright

Apr 18, 2014, 5:45:15 PM4/18/14
to woyp
I am here as well.

--
Richard D. Cartwright
901-493-6612

__________________________________

If Dante had known about daytime television the Ninth Circle of Hell would have TV sets.

bpaulien

Apr 18, 2014, 6:03:05 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

Me too... But i was mostly just a lurker. Only got involved in a couple conversations. But i did enjoy the conversations and discussions in Tech and all other aspects of life.

Kristin Pilotte

Apr 18, 2014, 6:26:28 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
I'm still around. Not that I ever really participated but I also enjoyed lurking.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."  -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Bert Latamore

Apr 18, 2014, 6:52:14 PM4/18/14
to woyp
Definitely here still. On a new Microsoft Surface Pro II these days.
Bert Latamore
(703) 340-8396
Section Editor, CIO Angle at http://www.siliconangle.com/
Covering the Intersection between IT and Business

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Ryan Waldon

Apr 18, 2014, 7:59:41 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
I'm still subscribed, and still read what ever gets posted

--ryan

Sent from my Apple iPhone 

John Small

Apr 18, 2014, 8:26:20 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

I forgot.
Until I saw this email.

Back in the day this was the source!

-jts

Marsha Love

Apr 18, 2014, 8:28:32 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
*waving* :)

Sent from Marsha's iPhone

Apr 18, 2014, 8:34:00 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Still lurking, goodto see familiar namer.

Aaron Gonzalez

Apr 18, 2014, 9:24:26 PM4/18/14
to WOYP
Wow I did not expect to see WOYP emails ever again in my inbox!

Glad to see everyone still is here.  Jeff actually is still writing under this title too:  http://jeff.kirv.in/woyp/

I just recently discovered that and added his blog to my rss feeds.

I see Brenda's updates on flickr every so often. And every month I get a dollar or so credit from Man Ching Cheung from my web host from whenever he signed up with my referral code years ago.

Other than that I don't think I knew what anyone else was up to.

What's everyone using nowadays?

I'm on a Nexus 5 for my phone, an iPad Mini for my tablet, and a Macbook Air 11" for my main machine.

-Aaron

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Ryan Waldon <ryanwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm still subscribed, and still read what ever gets posted

--ryan

Sent from my Apple iPhone 

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 17:43, Brenda Wallace <brenda....@gmail.com> wrote:

Man Ching Cheung

Apr 18, 2014, 10:02:26 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Hey... that's interesting... I'm earning some other people money? :)

I am using a Galaxy Note 2; my Nook HD and Nexus 7 have all gone to the kids.

I love reading on the GN2; hate the on screen keyboard, though.

Laptop is a thinkpad (I've decided never to spend more than $500 on a computer. I see them as disposables, and frankly, I will have to pony up for another one in 2 years. It seems better to just toss them away and not worry about the $2000 investment. But damn did I wish I had a powerful computer when I was working on a 40 layer photoshop project!)

mcc
Man Ching Cheung, Ph.D.
Clinical Engineer
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Brigham and Women's Hospital
mobile:  617 872 7186
email: mc.c...@gmail.com | mcch...@partners.org

Buzz

Apr 18, 2014, 10:59:17 PM4/18/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Kia Ora

Still here too. Living in rural New Zealand and working in local government, though for how much longer, I’m not sure due to restructure.

HP Elitebook (work). MacBook Pro (personal). HTC Windows 8 phone (work). Samsung Galaxy S5 (new personal in a week or so - a pending gift from a friend who won two!). Kindle Touch.

Still writing on and off. I haven’t blogged (www.bignosedulyguy.com) in a year, partly laziness and partly fallout from temporarily losing my domain name to cyber squatters after a failed auto-renew. Having just spent 20 minutes reading some of Jeff’s stuff, I might just start blogging again just so I have stuff recorded somewhere.

A small gift, in the form of a 5 minute flash fiction spin on the Easter story, is attached.

Cheers

Buzz

Thief_d5.rtf

Brenda Wallace

Apr 19, 2014, 12:47:14 AM4/19/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

Hey, how do I open rtf on android?

www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

Buzz

Apr 19, 2014, 1:45:14 AM4/19/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
No need - here’s the text.

Buzz

The Thief

Despite the bundle under his arm, Jeb ran through the night until he could barely hear the burglar alarm or the sirens of the police cars. Slowing to a brisk walk, he tried to catch his breath and calm his mind. As he criss-crossed his way through the city streets, he cursed himself.
Reduced to stealing collection boxes from Pastor James’ church? Can you get any lower?
Lost in thought and shifting the bundle from one arm to the other, Jeb hop-scotched over the rain-filled potholes in the road and into the long underpass beneath the main highway. Glad to be out of the rain, he wiped his eyes and headed through the darkened tunnel towards the streetlight at the far end.
Jeb was little more than halfway through the tunnel when a police car rolled into view and blocked the exit ahead of him. Too late, he realised his mistake and with fear churning in his belly, Jeb turned and ran back the way he came. He was just yards from the street when a second car pulled across the other entrance to the underpass.
Blocked, Jeb looked over his shoulder to see the two men walking towards him from the far end of the tunnel. Turning back, he saw another officer get out of the vehicle in front of him and, silhouetted by the strobing lights of the patrol car, stretch the kinks from his back.
‘Stealing from the church again, Jeb?’ the officer said ‘I told you, the next time would mean a beating’.
Glancing between the officer and his rapidly advancing colleagues, Jeb tried to plead but the words wouldn’t come. He’d been warned; now, it seemed, he’d run out of chances.
Jeb started for a small gap between one of the men and the wall but he slipped on the wet concrete and fell to his knees. With barely a word between them, the three men closed in, drew their batons and set to beating him.
As the blows drove him to the ground, terror drove Jeb into a long-forgotten part of himself and, for the first time in years, he started to pray.
God, I've stolen from you but if it’s really true you love me, please save me from this.
The beating continued and somehow the beating seemed less ferocious than before but that wasn’t all that had changed. Jeb became aware of bright sunlight on his skin, the smell of animal dung in the air and the shouting of a crowd nearby. Confused, he cautiously opened his eyes and recoiled in panic. Gone were the concrete underpass and the police in combat vests; instead, he found himself dressed in rags, chained to another man, staggering up a dusty, sloping street, surrounded by an angry mob and soldiers in uniform.
Jeb shook his head, trying desperately to clear his mind and work out what was happening. As the crowd propelled him and his shackled companion up the hill, the uniformed soldiers wielding the sticks moved their attention to a third man who was struggling under some sort of load ahead of them. Disoriented and fearing for his sanity, he fought to make sense of the melee around him and the confusion in his head. It felt like he was experiencing deja vu or watching a movie that he’d seen once but couldn’t quite recall.
The surge of the crowd spat him and the others into a cleared area at the top of the slope and it was then that an absurd and incredible notion occurred to him.
Oh my God. It can’t be. That would be impossible.
Rough hands grabbed Jeb, flipped him on this back so he was face up to the blazing sun and carried him across the cleared area. A blow to the head left him reeling and, as he slipped into blackness, one question flitted across his mind.
How did I get here? How is this even possible?
Moments later, a searing pain in his hands and feet slowly brought him back to consciousness. As his vision cleared, he wanted to believe anything other than what his eyes were telling him. In that instant, Jeb knew why the impossible seemed familiar and knew all too clearly where he was. With an awful sense of certainty, Jeb slowly swung his gaze from the ground some ten feet below him to take in the two men crucified to his left.
As soldiers squatted below them, wagering and fighting amongst themselves, the man in the centre quietly called out to his father. As he did, the man farthest away sneered and abused him. Jeb tried to recall the words of his desperate plea, back in the underpass just a few minutes ago.
Oh God, if you really do love me, please help me...I don’t want to die!
When he was a boy, Pastor James had cautioned Jeb to be careful of what he prayed for and tears pooled in Jeb’s eyes as that long-forgotten advice came back to him now and his situation became crystal clear. His heart pounded in his chest as he listened to the third man berate and taunt the man between them.
‘You and me’ shouted Jeb to the farthest man, ‘We deserve to be here...but not him’. The man ignored him and continued his taunting.
Jeb turned to the man nailed to the cross in the middle, looked into his eyes, paused and then spoke his last words on earth.
’Please take me with you’.
‘Friend, don’t worry, you and I will soon be in a better place far from here’.

Buzz

www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

bo...@wm.pdx.ne.jp

Apr 19, 2014, 1:46:01 AM4/19/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Try Coolreader.

Aaron Gonzalez

Apr 19, 2014, 12:02:14 PM4/19/14
to WOYP

I installed Text Reader. That worked ok after I bumped up the font size.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.penzasoft.textreader

John Small

Apr 19, 2014, 1:03:00 PM4/19/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

I knew there was a reason to keep this subscription!

-jts

Christian Pate

Apr 19, 2014, 10:07:37 PM4/19/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Mostly lurked around for tech advice/to fulfill my Palm fanboyism with some of the stuff here, but I'm still around, ready to lurk some more D:

I've got a fairly nice setup myself.  Last year I spent quite a bit of money on a nice gaming computer as my main machine with all the bells and whistles (was the first time I could afford to actually buy all new components and not old second-hand stuff, so I went overboard).  I've also got a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist which I use as a laptop/secondary computer, a Dell Venue 8 pro for a tablet and a Galaxy S3 for a phone.  I don't do much mobile writing nowadays, as I can't quite get used to touchscreen keyboards and just generally dislike them, but I do use my laptop quite a bit when I feel like jotting something down.

bpaulien

Apr 20, 2014, 9:52:44 PM4/20/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com

As always, I'm a bit behind the curve on adopting the latest and greatest. and go for the Budget option when available.  Which is why my tablet is the NOOK HD+ and my phone is an old LG Marquee, running a custom gingerbread ROM. But I'm seriously looking into getting a new phone with a more MODERN OS. but I can't complain about the nook HD+. It has a beautiful screen, and for the price, and running official cyanogen mod kit Kat, I think it's one of the best bang for the Buck deals out there.

My wife has the smaller nook HD and for her it's perfect. I like the larger higher res screen better for videos, but they're both really nice.

Bert Latamore

Apr 21, 2014, 8:33:37 AM4/21/14
to woyp
My old tablet (which my wife has taken over) is a Nook HD+, and she had the smaller Nook, which now is developing power problems. I also liked my Nook HD+, but it lacked some basic functionality that I need for my work. So I would have to take my laptop as well as my tablet any time I went to a computer conference or other event, for instance. And I realized that 90% or more of what I was doing on the Nook I could do almost as well on my Android phone, which is a Galaxy 2, btw, and now a year old, so not exactly the latest version. That made be start wondering why I was carrying this big tablet around everywhere as well. But for things like reading e-magazines, it was great.

Bert

Buzz

Apr 21, 2014, 5:36:43 PM4/21/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
One of the things I am interested to discover when I receive the S5 is how I get along with the keyboard. Since emigrating 9 years ago, I had been almost exclusively using a Blackberry and had become accustomed to its keyboard. Even with my fairly chunky thumbs, I was able to write emails and texts with relative ease.

In the last year, my employer has moved everyone off Blackberries and iPhones onto HTC Windows Phone 8S units.  Whilst navigation around the phone and apps is OK, typing is far from easy with a much higher rate of mis-keying then before.

I suspect that this is one of the reasons that I do most of my writing (business and creative) on laptops - ease of typing/input. Back in the Palm days, I was fairly quick with the standard input (I could never master the likes of Fitaly and the rest) but ended up with a folding keyboard. In those 'pre-everyone having a laptop/device' days, this was ridiculed by most of my colleagues but I suspect secretly envied, especially those who would watch me dock, sync and tidy up my meeting notes…then wander over and ask for a copy to save their own transcription efforts!

Buzz

www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

Donald Stidwell

Apr 21, 2014, 5:57:25 PM4/21/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
There are many nifty keyboard substitutes for Android. When I used Android my favorite was Swiftkey but many other swear by Swype - a swiping keyboard. It’s been a while since I’ve used Android (ok, a whole six months) but I believe the default Google keyboard is quite highly rated and I think it also has the swipe functionality built in. The S5 will probably have the default Samsung keyboard enabled by default, but I never used it even on Samsung devices that I had, preferring the superior auto-prediction of Swiftkey.
--
...prosigo a la meta, al premio del supremo llamamiento de Dios en Cristo Jesús.” (Filipenses 3:14 RVR60)

Bert Latamore

Apr 21, 2014, 6:45:05 PM4/21/14
to woyp
I still have the Stowaway keyboard. I use it sometimes with my new tablet now, when I am traveling and don't want to carry around a full sized keyboard. It isn't as fast, but it still works.

Ben Chacko

Apr 22, 2014, 1:01:30 PM4/22/14
to wo...@googlegroups.com
I still have my subscription to the group and also didn't think that I'd see movement here. I mainly a lurk anyway.

I've always enjoyed seeing how you all tackled the subject of being productive with mobile devices. I do not write fiction or a great deal in general, but I do presentation work and projects for volunteer efforts with an older Lenovo Thinkpad in the office or at home. Otherwise I live in Evernote and Google Drive with my Galaxy S4 or 1st gen iPad Mini with a Logitech bluetooth keyboard.
- Ben

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by
filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable,
authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not
the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. (Phil 4:8)