Re: [woyp] Digest for woyp@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

1 view

Bob Roberts

Mar 2, 2015, 5:21:10 PM3/2/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Buzz, it sounds like you've got a great place there!  If we ever make it your way. will have to see about visiting.

Bert, how well did you survive your week without the laptop?  I'm sure there were some improvisations made.

I just keep bouncing around between the Android and Windows tablets. Windows laptops and desktop, Android cell phones,and even my old HPLX's, which run on DOS.  I've gone as far as getting the Palm Tungsten E2 out of a storage box, but haven't allowed myself to start charging it yet.  I spend WAY too much timegeeking around on the different OS's, and not enough time writing and getting things done.  Sometimes, for people like me, options can be a curse as well as blessings.
LOL

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM, <wo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bob Roberts <bgi...@gmail.com>: Feb 17 03:32PM -0600

We are having a stretch os snowy weather here in Roosterville. After the
downright balmy weather we had a couple of weeks back, this return to the
deep freeze of winter is not a lot of fun.

I did get another loose hard drive ordered, and will be getting back on a
better backup regimen. Thanks to the group for getting me to think about
that again.

Someone asked where I aml located. I live in the country a little north of
Kansas City, Missouri. This area/community has been called Roosterville
for about 100 years from what I've been able to discover, and my family has
lived in this area since the early 60's. It's a great area, with some of
the counntry liife still intact, but big city life is not fare away. We
love it here.

BigNosed UglyGuy <bignose...@gmail.com>: Feb 18 11:37AM +1300

Bob

*"It's a great area, with some of the country life still intact, but big
city life is not far away. We love it here."*

Your place sounds much like Woodhill <https://goo.gl/maps/3OnFb> where we
live and have a little B&B <http://www.hillsidebandb.co.nz/>. For me, it
mean 2+ hours in the car daily but the trade-off is pretty good (a balance
of city and rural life) and way better than living and working on opposite
sides of London before we emigrated.

Cheers

Buzz

--
bignoseduglyguy
http://www.bignoseduglyguy.com

Well, I am testing my back right now. We are down at our winter beach
timeshare in the Outer Banks. And by the way, it is so cold here, in
coastal North Carolina, that there is a skim of ice on the bay, where the
wind doesn't reach, and that is salt water. So Saturday we spent a lot of
the day packing up, and I did a lot of that because Moire's back limits her
physical activity. And we got into the car and set off aat aobut 2:00 p.m,.
for the six hour drive down here. We were about 90 minutes down the road
and stopped for gas when I ralize that I hd left my Surface Pro II, all
packed up, in the livingroom. I had held it to last in case I needed it for
something and just forgot it in the final rush to get out. I do have my old
laptop, which is my backup machine and which Moire uses for some things. I
wasn't going to add three hours to our drive by going home for the tablt at
this point.

So I am suffering withdrawal for the week. And I am testing my backup plan.
All my documents and data backups are in the Microsoft OneCLoud, and I
actually was just working for a couple of hours while my wife sleeps. So
that is not an issue. I did discover that I could not restore my QUicken
file from the backup becasue I have an oldr version of Quicken on this
machine. But I decided I can just do an update Saturday night on my tablet
when I get home and in the meantime the information on the bank computer is
close enough. It doesn't include a couple of checks that are still out
there, but they are not large enough to cause a problem.

I acdtually am getting more use out of my smartphone. I am doing Facebook,
Google+ and Pintrest on it and by and large like it better on that platform
than the tablet. I am having problems reading The Washington Post in
particular on the small screen, but I am borrowing Moire's tablet for that.
I can read my magazine, The Week on the phone in Article mode, haven't
tried a book yet, but I will do that sometime.

And I don't have Calorie King on this machine, so I am winging my diet and
trying to be careful not to eat extra calories. I wouldn't want to do this
for a long time, but I can survive for a week.

All the best, Bert

--
Bert Latamore
(703) 340-8396

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having
their motives questioned.

Bert Latamore

Mar 2, 2015, 5:34:01 PM3/2/15
to woyp
Hi, Bo,

I had the laptop, fortunately. It was my Surface Pro II tablet, which I use for everything, both as my PC on my desk and my tablet when I'm not, that I left behind. I survived, but it was a problem. I could only use it when we were in the timeshare, and I didn't have my diet software. And I never updated Quicken on the laptop, so I couldn't open my backup file.. I discovered that my smartphone is fine for reading e-books but not for e-magazines or the comics in the Washington Post. Won't make that mistake again.

Bert

Buzz

Mar 2, 2015, 8:20:53 PM3/2/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bob

Your comment about bouncing between various OS and devices prompted me to search my history for something I read last week.

It was a piece on Medium* by Dan Gillmor entitled "Why I’m Saying Goodbye to Apple, Google and Microsoft: I’m putting more trust in communities than corporations".

https://medium.com/backchannel/why-i-m-saying-goodbye-to-apple-google-and-microsoft-78af12071bd

I worry that, by mentioning it, I am adding rather than removing options but thought the piece might resonate for you, if for different reasons.

*The irony of Gillmor publishing his pro-community, open source choice piece on a closed platform, no publishing API 'content farm' like Medium will not be lost on those reading here. Hey, at least he's writing, I haven't blogged for months!

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

Bob Roberts

Mar 3, 2015, 5:14:12 PM3/3/15
to wo...@googlegroups.com
That's a very interesting read, Buzz.  I'm going to have to read it a second time, and ponder it a bit more deeply.  Yes, another alternative.

That did make me stop to look at a thought...  exactly what am I wanting from my tecchnologies?  I find that currently, I am mostly using tech for entertainment.  Music, videos, ebooks, website reading... these activities compromise the bulk of my tech use now.  Being forcefully retired means I currently have no need for a lot of the tech I used to live by.  I am trying to find some ways to fund my retirement, which will require a bit of tech (for writing blogs, internet marketing, etc.)  But I think my days of climbing under the hood of SQL Server, DB2, and Oracle databases are behind me.  So I'd really like to simplify life, perhaps leaving some of the all-to-short time left for some other types of fun and enjoyment of life.

It may come back to DOS PC's and Palm pda's.  Who knows?

Bert Latamore <bert.l...@gmail.com>: Mar 02 05:34PM -0500

Buzz <bignose...@gmail.com>: Mar 03 02:20PM +1300