Re: Super irritating deployment problem and resolution

Mark McCraw

Apr 19, 2007, 8:59:58 PM4/19/07
to wot...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

It's a no-brainer once you realize how it works. My point is that
when the build fails, there is no visual indication that the build
failed. No popup, no warning message, no anything. Just that hidden
little line down in the "Problems" tab, which probably isn't open.
If you do an ant build from the command line, or a make, or
xcodebuild, or whatever, it visibly breaks if the compile doesn't
complete. My experience is that with certain problems at least,
Eclipse just silently exludes the class that didn't compile from the
deployable jar. And that seems problematic. I feel like you
shouldn't have to investigate to see if a compile completed
successfully or not.

> Date: Wed, Apr 18 2007 9:59 am
> From: "John Huss"
>

> I think it's pretty much a no-brainer that you shouldn't deploy an
> application that doesn't successfully compile (that has errors in the
> problems tab).
>
> John
>

> == 3 of 3 ==
> Date: Wed, Apr 18 2007 11:13 am
> From: Mike Schrag
>

>> However, there are a couple of irritating
>> problems with building for deployment
> You should log these as bugs against wolips if you haven't already.
>
> ms

Mike Schrag

Apr 19, 2007, 9:48:07 PM4/19/07
to wot...@googlegroups.com
Problems View should always be open. It's part of the Eclipse
workflow. It's is the central place to see any errors and warnings
that occur for any number of reasons in your projects. Without it
open, you are missing out on lots of very useful Eclipse
notifications. Not having Problems View open would be the equivalent
of not opening Build Results in Xcode after you build (consider that
Eclipse is ALWAYS incremental building by default and thus can
display problems at any time as you are writing code). So John's
reaction is from the perspective of a used-to-Eclipse-user vs a new-
Eclipse-convert-user. So where you say "check it first if things
seem weird", I would say "check it always .. all the time ...
constantly".

That said, it sounds like maybe you ran into some WOLips bugs also.
If you don't log bugs in the wolips bug system, or discussion them on
the wolips mailing list, wolips developers won't know they exist, so
better to log them than to just put up w/ them.

ms