Midi controller with Mainstage for synth

Greg Jones

Oct 27, 2012, 3:06:42 PM10/27/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com
Everyone,

Thanks to Frank Scales' suggestion, I am having great success migrating
from a traditional keyboard to a midi controller keyboard using
Mainstage software on my Mac for the sounds.

I thought I'd share because maybe this set up would benefit others.

It is a benefit to me compared to my old set up because I was using an
aging synth (Alesis QS8). For $220, I picked up an M-Audio 88es, which
is a full sized semi-weighted USB keyboard controller and am hooking it
up to my Macbook which is running Apple's Mainstage software ($30). The
sounds in it are amazing and are up there with any modern traditional
synth in my book. Plus it is easier to organize sounds on the Mac. I run
all of this out to an M-Audio Fastrack USB audio interface that cost
only $50. The most expensive piece of gear is the Macbook itself.

The midi controller is a fraction of the weight of my Alesis and is a
breeze to take to gigs. The one down-side I see is that this locks me
into the Apple hardware (I haven't found anything close to Mainstage for
the price in the Windows world). Should my Macbook ever die, I'll have
to buy another one unless Ipads come up with USB interfaces for use with
my midi controller.... Perhaps they already exist?

Greg

www.gregjonesmusic.com

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/gregrjones

The Pendulum Effect Blog:
http://thependulumeffect.blogspot.com/

Richard Huntrods

Oct 27, 2012, 4:31:08 PM10/27/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

On 10/27/2012 12:06 PM, Greg Jones wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> Thanks to Frank Scales' suggestion, I am having great success
> migrating from a traditional keyboard to a midi controller keyboard
> using Mainstage software on my Mac for the sounds.
>
> I thought I'd share because maybe this set up would benefit others.
>
> It is a benefit to me compared to my old set up because I was using an
> aging synth (Alesis QS8). For $220, I picked up an M-Audio 88es, which
> is a full sized semi-weighted USB keyboard controller and am hooking
> it up to my Macbook which is running Apple's Mainstage software ($30).
> The sounds in it are amazing and are up there with any modern
> traditional synth in my book. Plus it is easier to organize sounds on
> the Mac. I run all of this out to an M-Audio Fastrack USB audio
> interface that cost only $50. The most expensive piece of gear is the
> Macbook itself.
>
> The midi controller is a fraction of the weight of my Alesis and is a
> breeze to take to gigs. The one down-side I see is that this locks me
> into the Apple hardware (I haven't found anything close to Mainstage
> for the price in the Windows world). Should my Macbook ever die, I'll
> have to buy another one unless Ipads come up with USB interfaces for
> use with my midi controller.... Perhaps they already exist?
iRig makes a midi interface for the iPad. Mine was for the iPad 2, no
idea what they'll do with the new iPad connector yet. Very reasonably
priced, quite a nice unit. Has Midi in, out & thru. Comes with special
cables (MIDI std. to mini plug to fit the iRig).

Cheers,

-R

> Greg

Steve Hanson

Oct 28, 2012, 2:26:39 PM10/28/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com, worshi...@googlegroups.com
Greg there are multiple MIdi interfaces to the iPad or iPhone. Line6 and m-audio both make them. I'm interested in this so I can put main stage and it's tones on my iPad, since I don't want to buy a new MacBook!

Pardon the thumb errors, this came from my iPhone.