how to end songs with no real ending

Gerald Montagna

Oct 23, 2012, 12:54:02 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

There are certain songs that just sorta go round and round -- the verse leads directly into the chorus, and the chorus doesn't have a definitive ending.  It's always awkward ending them.  There are probably at least a dozen songs in common use that fit this description, but two are on my mind today because I'd like to use them soon -- "Give us clean hand, give us pure hearts" and "Breathe".

How would you end these two songs?  Do you know of any recordings (especially Youtube) that end these songs in a satisfying way?  Thanks in advance for your input.

Darren Raley

Oct 23, 2012, 1:18:53 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

Hey,

We have always ended Breathe by singing… (one chord per measure until the last measure).

G  /  /   /        C/G   /   /   /

    This is the air I breathe. (melody = D, D, G, G, C C)

G  /  /   /        C/G   /   /   /

    This is the air I breathe.

G  /  /   /        C/G   /  D7/G   /  G

    This is the air         I               breathe. (this phrase is melodically and rhythmically altered – “air” is changed to a half note, “I” is changed to a half note and raised to an A, and “breathe” becomes a whole note G)

I have also found that sometimes ending songs (like these) on a IV chord or some other non-tonic chord gives a nice effect.

Mostly, it’s just improvising something that sounds good, and that is likely to differ from song to song.  We just experiment until we find something that we like, usually.

Peace,

Darren Raley

Bob Marshall

Oct 23, 2012, 1:34:42 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com
Not sure that it’s all that complicated. On Kindness (also called Give Us Clean Hands) you simply do “Give us clean hands, give us pure hearts, let us not lift our souls to another”, with a ritard on “let us not lift our souls to another”. No outro, it just ends with that ritard. You can do the same thing to end “Breathe”. Sing “This is the air (go up and hold this note) I (hold this) breathe (hold this)”. Maybe a pretty little piano outro. Or not.

Bob Marshall
Cool, CA

Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:54 AM
Subject: how to end songs with no real ending

There are certain songs that just sorta go round and round -- the verse leads directly into the chorus, and the chorus doesn't have a definitive ending.  It's always awkward ending them.  There are probably at least a dozen songs in common use that fit this description, but two are on my mind today because I'd like to use them soon -- "Give us clean hand, give us pure hearts" and "Breathe".

How would you end these two songs?  Do you know of any recordings (especially Youtube) that end these songs in a satisfying way?  Thanks in advance for your input.

Powla

Oct 23, 2012, 3:13:21 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com, <worship-music@googlegroups.com>
You can always end acapella and with a few seconds of silence, it allows the Holy Spirit to bring His response.  Usually, if you watch and discern, God does amazing things in a moment of just being still.  He responds to our worship.

Sent from my Ay-yi-yi phone

trit...@cox.net

Oct 23, 2012, 3:25:41 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

Some good suggestions already made. Don't ask me - I'm the guy who ends songs on a dominant 7th chord ...

Mike

Dean Thomas

Oct 23, 2012, 11:14:00 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

One thing that was kind of hinted at, but that seems to have fallen out of vogue in most of the circles with which I have contact--find a convenient chord or two that include the last chord of the song and stay there. Once called "singing in the spirit" or "free worship", sing your own words or meditate on a phrase in the given song. Let that trail off after a minute or five, and see if Father does not provide some important word or scripture. It's not quite silence, but the two concepts both work. The idea is to get into His presence and then STAY there and marinate!

IMHO.
--
Dean Thomas
     a discussion forum for the

Oct 24, 2012, 12:22:52 AM10/24/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

Singing in the spirit is very powerful.  I love when I have that opportunity.

Jamie Allen Larson

Oct 24, 2012, 12:48:38 AM10/24/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com
Ther are a bunch of ways to end songs you suggested. I hope is haven't missed the just of your question, but many songs on the CD lack the "shut-the-door" ending that we would have expected from them. The fade out is classic. Ok. How to end a song. Often times will will replay a little section of the song the ties it off.

I am not lessening singing in the Spirit, but a congregation like ours doesn't know how to respond to that. We could do it all day, skillfully and it would be seen as a thing the band is doing and I am not by the general congregation.

Jamie Allen Larson
Larson Insurance
www.larsoninsurance.com

Sent from my iPad2

Greg Jones

Oct 24, 2012, 5:38:33 AM10/24/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree with Jamie on the 'singing in the Spirit' losing
non-charismatic congregations. I love to do that but most congregations
don't seem to understand it or know what to do. I do because I've been
in Charismatic and Pentecostal churches.

I'm having a little bit of a hard time relating to the original question
though. Breathe was sited as a song that has no ending but I've never
even noticed that before and I suppose it depends upon which version you
listen to. To my ears, if you end it on "This is the air I breathe",
that is a natural hang. It ends on the second most common chord to end a
song on. The first most common chord is to end on the I chord (which I
often do for Breathe) but the second most common way to end it is on the
IV chord. Songwriters/performers do this when they want to hang the
song, making it end in a less resolved, less predictable way, but want
the 'hang' to feel natural.

If I'm working with a song that fades out on the recording, I'll usually
find a way to end it (usually on the I, but sometimes on the IV chord),
often by ending it on the chorus but if that is not so natural,
repeating another section of the song.

Greg
www.gregjonesmusic.com

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/gregrjones

The Pendulum Effect Blog:
http://thependulumeffect.blogspot.com/

Dave Paisley

Oct 23, 2012, 8:36:02 PM10/23/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com
Listen to the Rebecca St James version of Breathe (easily found on youtube) for another good option for an ending. It basically repeats "I'm lost without you" three times.

Sent from my iPhone