request for suggestion of a vocal solo

Gerald Montagna

Aug 1, 2012, 10:00:15 AM8/1/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I'm soliciting advice for a vocal solo, because I can't come up with anything.

The singer is a classically trained tenor of vast experience, but is now in his high 80s.  I'd like something classical or light classical, with meaningful lyrics (nothing trite!).  He still has a big voice and can carry a tune, but his vibrato and vocal support are wobbly.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Darren Raley

Aug 1, 2012, 10:50:46 AM8/1/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

Aaron Copeland’s “Shall We Gather at the River” is nice and not particularly difficult.  If you are looking for something more current, “The Prayer” has a classical quality (of sorts) as does “You Raise Me Up”.  Ralph Vaughn Williams has a lovely set of sacred songs, but I cannot remember the title.  I will look it up and get back to you.

Peace,

Darren Raley

Darren Raley

Aug 1, 2012, 11:00:10 AM8/1/12
to worshi...@googlegroups.com

They are in a work called 5 Mystical Songs.  I have copied the text (from Wikipedia) and a youtube link below.  It is often performed with orchestra and choir, but was arranged (by the composer) for voice and piano as well.

Here is a link to a performance on YouTube (I didn’t listen to it, so don’t judge entirely on the video).  There are many recordings available…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2i3Q99g4Q

1. Easter - from Herbert's Easter

Rise heart; thy Lord is risen.
Sing his praise without delayes,
Who takes thee by the hand,
that thou likewise with him may'st rise;
That, as his death calcined thee to dust,
His life may make thee gold, and much more, just.

Awake, my lute, and struggle for thy part with all thy art.
The crosse taught all wood to resound his name, who bore the same.
His stretched sinews taught all strings, what key
Is the best to celebrate this most high day.

Consort both heart and lute, and twist a song pleasant and long;
Or since all musick is but three parts vied and multiplied.
O let thy blessed Spirit bear a part,
And make up our defects with his sweet art.

2. I Got Me Flowers - from the second half of Easter

I got me flowers to strew thy way;
I got me boughs off many a tree:
But thou wast up by break of day,
And brought'st thy sweets along with thee.

The Sunne arising in the East.
Though he give light, and th'East perfume;
If they should offer to contest
With thy arising, they presume.

Can there be any day but this,
Though many sunnes to shine endevour?
We count three hundred, but we misse:
There is but one, and that one ever.

3. Love Bade Me Welcome - from Love (III)

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back.
Guiltie of dust and sinne.
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack'd anything.

A guest, I answer'd, worthy to be here:
Love said, You shall be he.
I the unkinde, ungratefull? Ah, my deare,
I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marr'd them: let my shame
Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, sayes Love, who bore the blame?
My deare, then I will serve.
You must sit down, sayes Love, and taste my meat:
So I did sit and eat.

4. The Call - from The Call

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath: