realistic world maps

Wilm Schumacher

Apr 27, 2016, 10:48:43 AM4/27/16
to worldengine
Hi,

i just found the world engine project and I'm amazed :). This is a cool library/program which I could import in a pet project I'm thinking about.

However, I have some question regarding the realism of the generated maps.

1.) I found that with ~50 plates the maps are more "earth like"*, which happens to be the number of plates existing on earth. Maybe the default should be changed to 50.

2.) I found that rivers are "missing" in the river output. See attached the output for the parameters "-r -s 30 -q 20".

ex_elevation: On the northern continent east of eastern mountain area. There is obviously a area cut out by a river.
ex_rivers: The corresponding river is missing. Or is it intended that the river has vanished?

3.) The number of rivers seems to be a little small. In "ex_elevation" on the northern continent there are no major rivers in the western lowland. Regarding the precipitation and the topology of the land there should be larger rivers.
Are only "very large" rivers put out? If so ... could this be parametrized to which degree rivers are put out?

4.) Furthermore
ex_rivers: on the southern continent there is a long river spanning from north to south, which I guess is also the flow direction regarding the topology. However ... the river stops in the large central lowland. Or is this river "deltaing" to smaller rivers which are not put out?

But: I didn't look to closely into the *.world export. If the information are present in the output I would appreciate a hint.

5.) Larger lakes are very uncommon. In the couple of tests I did there were very few numbers of lakes. Is it that only this earth happens to have a lot of large lakes or is this something not computed by worldengine?

6.) Are ocean streams computed? I found that the land masses change the temperature map. However, It's very stable regarding the latitude. Are streams not that important for the general temperature? Well this is more of climatology question. But perhaps someone here could give me a hint

7.) Is it possible to start with a given tectonic plate distribution? It would be very cool to start with the real earth (well, the start of the real earth).

But after all: what a cool project! Thanks to all working on worldengine.

Best wishes,

Wilm

*) by "earth like" i mean (~ 3 larger land masses, a couple of larger islands, large oceans with small islands etc.)
ex_elevation.png
ex_rivers.png

Federico Tomassetti

Apr 28, 2016, 1:39:46 AM4/28/16
to Wilm Schumacher, worldengine
On 27 April 2016 at 16:48, Wilm Schumacher <wilm.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

i just found the world engine project and I'm amazed :).

Thank you!

This is a cool library/program which I could import in a pet project I'm thinking about.

However, I have some question regarding the realism of the generated maps.

1.) I found that with ~50 plates the maps are more "earth like"*, which happens to be the number of plates existing on earth. Maybe the default should be changed to 50.

Sure, we can consider that. Please open an issue on github for that:

2.) I found that rivers are "missing" in the river output. See attached the output for the parameters "-r -s 30 -q 20".

ex_elevation: On the northern continent east of eastern mountain area. There is obviously a area cut out by a river.
ex_rivers: The corresponding river is missing. Or is it intended that the river has vanished?

The thing is that we draw only streams of waters with an amount of water superior to a certain threshold in the river map. The river which carved the mountains in the east of the eastern mountain area was probably not big enough.

3.) The number of rivers seems to be a little small. In "ex_elevation" on the northern continent there are no major rivers in the western lowland. Regarding the precipitation and the topology of the land there should be larger rivers.
Are only "very large" rivers put out? If so ... could this be parametrized to which degree rivers are put out?

I think we do not have an option for that (options are here: http://worldengine.readthedocs.io/en/stable/cli.html#general-options)
Perhaps you could open an issue also for that

4.) Furthermore
ex_rivers: on the southern continent there is a long river spanning from north to south, which I guess is also the flow direction regarding the topology. However ... the river stops in the large central lowland. Or is this river "deltaing" to smaller rivers which are not put out?

But: I didn't look to closely into the *.world export. If the information are present in the output I would appreciate a hint.

The world file should contain all of this information and more. I do not recall the details for the river algorithms. Perhaps it is creating a lake, I am not sure.

5.) Larger lakes are very uncommon. In the couple of tests I did there were very few numbers of lakes. Is it that only this earth happens to have a lot of large lakes or is this something not computed by worldengine?

Our simulation are imperfects, perhaps we should improve that aspect

6.) Are ocean streams computed? I found that the land masses change the temperature map. However, It's very stable regarding the latitude. Are streams not that important for the general temperature? Well this is more of climatology question. But perhaps someone here could give me a hint

No, they are not but this is something we would like to do in the future. We need more contributors :)

7.) Is it possible to start with a given tectonic plate distribution? It would be very cool to start with the real earth (well, the start of the real earth).

At the moment it is not.

But after all: what a cool project! Thanks to all working on worldengine.

Thank you! We hope you will keep using WorldEngine and let us know if you have more questions.

Federico

--
Visit the homepage of the project at https://github.com/Mindwerks/worldengine
---

Wilm Schumacher

Apr 28, 2016, 8:09:45 PM4/28/16
to worldengine, wilm.sc...@gmail.com

Am Donnerstag, 28. April 2016 07:39:46 UTC+2 schrieb Federico Tomassetti:
Sure, we can consider that. Please open an issue on github for that:

done

3.) The number of rivers seems to be a little small. In "ex_elevation" on the northern continent there are no major rivers in the western lowland. Regarding the precipitation and the topology of the land there should be larger rivers.
Are only "very large" rivers put out? If so ... could this be parametrized to which degree rivers are put out?

I think we do not have an option for that (options are here: http://worldengine.readthedocs.io/en/stable/cli.html#general-options)
Perhaps you could open an issue also for that
if the information is present in the world-file, I'm happy and there are probably more important things to do ;).

4.) Furthermore
ex_rivers: on the southern continent there is a long river spanning from north to south, which I guess is also the flow direction regarding the topology. However ... the river stops in the large central lowland. Or is this river "deltaing" to smaller rivers which are not put out?

But: I didn't look to closely into the *.world export. If the information are present in the output I would appreciate a hint.

The world file should contain all of this information and more. I do not recall the details for the river algorithms. Perhaps it is creating a lake, I am not sure.

thanks. This is the important information for me.

thanks and best wishes,

Wilm