Gaia integration

Adam Goodrich

Apr 13, 2016, 4:26:13 PM4/13/16
to worldengine
Hi,

I am the author of Gaia, a terrain and scene generation system for Unity 3D.

It might be fun to take the output of what you generate here, and use it to drive the generation of 3D environments in Unity 3D.

My email is ad...@btek.com.au if there is interest.

Cheers,
Adam.

Federico Tomassetti

Apr 14, 2016, 2:38:23 AM4/14/16
to Adam Goodrich, worldengine, Bret Curtis
Hi Adam,
that is definitely something we would be interested into. Bret is probably the best person to talk with about this: he is the co-maintainer of the project and he has experience with 3D Engines.

Our goal is to make WorldEngine interoperable with several tools. We want to focus on making the best world generator and then make the generated worlds using by other editors, 3D Engines, game frameworks etc. So for us helping to make WorldEngine usable in Gaia would be strategic.

On the technical point of view WorldEngine is written in Python with C/C++ extensions. I am not sure how you wanted to integrate in Gaia but I think there are two ways:
1) Running WorldEngine standalone and generating a world in one format that you can later open
2) Use WorldEngine as a library from inside your tool, if running Python in Unity is an option

I never used Unity but I just read there is an experimental build for Linux. What you have mind could run using the Personal edition or would it require the professional one?

Cheers,
Federico

--
Visit the homepage of the project at https://github.com/Mindwerks/worldengine
---

Adam Goodrich

Apr 14, 2016, 2:48:32 AM4/14/16
to Federico Tomassetti, worldengine, Bret Curtis

Hi Federico,

The simplest approach would be to spit some intermediary file format out – and then use this to drive Gaia to do the rest. Trying to run other stuff inside of Unity will most likely be difficult and would also probably limit its application to other platforms as well.

With version 5.0 onwards of Unity there is little functional difference Unity personal and pro – where the differences exist is more in things like team and other pro based features. You can check it out here : https://unity3d.com/unity/faq/2497

Cheers,
Adam.

bret curtis

Apr 14, 2016, 3:28:05 AM4/14/16
to Adam Goodrich, Federico Tomassetti, worldengine
Hello Adam,

this is psi29a from OpenMW and WE, we've already met over at the
OpenMW forums[1]:

You're right, the simplest approach will work as we use GDAL[2] to
export (and eventually import) to almost all known data formats. What
does Gaia work with?

I wouldn't worry about platform, we are fully cross-platform, it even
runs on my TV and my Raspberry Pi, in addition to GNU Hurd (you know,
just because). Python and C/C++ are pretty much the most portable
languages in the world. It is a library after all, so integrating it
wouldn't be a problem so long as you can run python.

I've only just dabbled with Unity and UE on Linux, but I liked what it
has to offer. I'm also been in talks with Neal Hallford (Betrayal at
Krondor) who has been playing with Lumberyard (Amazon's fork of
Cryengine). He was also looking for something like Gaia. Would it be
interesting to port Gaia to other engines? Or is Gaia too deeply
integrated with Unity to be of much use elsewhere?

Thanks again for stopping by!

Cheers,
Bret

[1] https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3468&p=38789
[2] http://www.gdal.org/

Adam Goodrich

Apr 14, 2016, 6:54:32 AM4/14/16
to bret curtis, Federico Tomassetti, worldengine
Hi Bret,

Gaia has its own formats, but I have looked at GDAL, so I am sure I could add support for it.

I have been considering digging deeper into lumberyard as well :)

Cheers,
Adam.

Federico Tomassetti

Apr 20, 2016, 1:58:38 AM4/20/16
to Adam Goodrich, bret curtis, worldengine
Hi Adam,
how is it going? Can we help with anything?

Cheers,
Federico

Adam Goodrich

Apr 21, 2016, 1:08:01 AM4/21/16
to worldengine, ad...@btek.com.au, psi...@gmail.com
My skype address is ads4267. Feel free to connect and we can have a chat.

Shando

Apr 27, 2016, 9:46:30 AM4/27/16
to worldengine, ad...@btek.com.au, psi...@gmail.com
Hi Adam,

I have just checked out Gaia and can safely say I'm pretty impressed :)

I am currently trying to create a GUI for WorldEngine that will display the created map in 3D (working with Python & OpenGL is a bit of a pain, but I'm getting there slowly) and was wondering if you had any thoughts about what you would like the GUI to do? I'm toying with allowing all of the options used in each of the simulations (even the currently hard-coded ones) to be available? I have already created a simple GUI that generates the various maps https://github.com/Shando/WorldEngine_UI/tree/test_ui

As a thought for Gaia integration, would it be possible to add trees, grass etc, based on the biome map (there are approx. 40 different biomes) created by WorldEngine?

Look forward to your thoughts/comments.

Regards

Shando