Can I help?

Christian de Leeuw

Mar 29, 2016, 11:22:01 AM3/29/16
to worldengine
Hi there,
Last week I found out about WorldEngine for the first time, I'm SO excited about it! :-) Creating worlds with all these different maps is just priceless!
I've got a lot of experience as an urban designer, creating landscapes and cities, combining all kind of data like gis and other geo data. I don't know how to program in Python, but I've got 20 years of experience with html(5), css(3), javascript/jquery, php, mysql. And last but not least, as a visual designer I'm very experienced in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere & After Effects, 3ds Max. To summarize, my passion is with landscapes and trees/plants, I know how to program stuff, and I know how to produce and edit graphics :-)

WorldEngine is fantastic and I would love to contribute somehow. Is there anything I can help you with?
regards, Chris

Federico Tomassetti

Mar 30, 2016, 2:36:43 AM3/30/16
to Christian de Leeuw, worldengine
Hi Christian,
first of thank you for your interest!
Well, what would you be interested in work on? If you have ideas let's discuss them.
Currently there is some work going on on the GUI. All form of visualization of the maps are something we appreciate, for example render the maps in 3D would be nice.
Spreading the world about WorldEngine also would help. In particular we have regularly problems with our Windows users.

Cheers,
Federico

--
Visit the homepage of the project at https://github.com/Mindwerks/worldengine
---

Shando

Mar 30, 2016, 4:49:29 AM3/30/16
to worldengine
Hi Christian,

Don't worry too much about not knowing Python, I hadn't used it for years (mainly c++ and Lua recently) but picked it up again very quickly! Once you get to know its quirks it's pretty much the same as most languages.

One thing I'm looking at (or will be once I've finished the current GUI work) is some way to be able to modify Worlds once they have been created (like adding new Rivers etc. by placing the head of the River and letting WorldEngine do the rest). I've taken a look at the code and believe it is not too difficult, so any thoughts on the type of options needed and GUI layout for this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Shando

Christian de Leeuw

Mar 30, 2016, 7:46:55 AM3/30/16
to worldengine
Tnx guys. I haven't looked at all the files actually, just started with the Windows exe (v0.19). I wrote a small batch file which generates 20 new worlds with random seed and random plates in 2048 resolution. Took 45min each, starting when I left work yesterday, this morning I had 20 new worlds with all needed maps :-)
Indeed I shouldn't be worried about Python I think. A bit of self-learning should be enough to start I think. I would love to find out about adding new rivers etc. or other new features.

I haven't used GUI yet. I had some problems setting up Python and installing libraries in WIndows so I will switch to OSX I think. Give me some time to set up my macbook.
For now it would be nice to look at the layout of GUI. Maybe it's nice to start making mockups and see what's needed in the layout? Can you provide a screenshots of the current GUI?

Shando

Apr 6, 2016, 8:38:42 AM4/6/16
to worldengine
Hey buddy,

Sorry for the delay, totally forgot you asked for images :(

Anyway, here they are.

Regards

Shando
WE_1.PNG