Simplifying the installation process

Dave Winer

Apr 7, 2012, 11:54:27 AM4/7/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com, frontier-user
Setting a CNAME for the server is one of the things that trips people up. So I'm changing the way it works. We now allocate a mediahackers.org name for every newly setup server.

http://worknotes.scripting.com/april2012/4712ByDw/automaticSettingOfExternaldomainname/

It also fixes it for servers that were initialized but never set up with an external name.

If this works, I will repeat this process for setup of Radio2 and WorldOutline, both of which require their own external names.

Now if I could only find something similar for the S3 prefs, we'd be able to completely self-install. But I don't see that happening. Think I've thought it through pretty thoroughly.

Dave

Dave Jones

Apr 7, 2012, 12:21:05 PM4/7/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com
Tested according to "How to Test".  Confirmed working.

Ran the script.  It set scratchpad.mydomain = "1774.mediahackers.org"

User.opmlEditor.prefs.server.externalDomainName was already set to "r2.southernbread.org" before I ran the script.  The script did not clobber it.

DJ

Dave Winer

Apr 7, 2012, 12:30:29 PM4/7/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com