Worldoutline att for menu visibility

Dave Winer

Apr 9, 2012, 3:25:45 PM4/9/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com
I had to switch the way this works so the menus would be visible in most circumstances for new users.

That created a problem for worldoutline readers, who probably don't care about our menus. And it would be distracting for blog posts, etc.

http://worknotes.scripting.com/april2012/4912ByDw/worldoutlineAttForMenuVisibility/

Dave

Adam Curry

Apr 9, 2012, 4:54:15 PM4/9/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com
Works for me.

There is an error in the scentence for this pref:

It reads: "Check this box if you the menu to be displayed, by default, for readers of this outline. "

Needs to include the word 'want' after 'if you'

AC

Dan MacTough

Apr 10, 2012, 1:35:09 PM4/10/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com
Works as advertised.

Despite having read your worknote, I was expecting it to work a little differently. I thought that if I navigated through the main outline to the location of that root, the menu would appear. Of course, it didn't. I don't know why I expected that. I thought about it, and I think it works exactly as it should.

I like that it saves my preference (assuming my cookies don't get deleted when I shut down my browser -- oh well, that's my fault).

Dave Winer

Apr 10, 2012, 1:37:30 PM4/10/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com
This is where I get tripped up:

"navigated through the main outline to the location of that root,"

There is no main outline. There's the Roots page, which is where all the outlines live. But there is no one of them that is the main one.

Dave

Dan MacTough

Apr 10, 2012, 2:58:16 PM4/10/12
to world-...@googlegroups.com
But there is a main outline to me because I have a memory of there once being a main outline before there were roots. There may always be a main outline to me -- it's my own fault, of course. Also, I don't use blorkmarks. So, unless I manually set up a CNAME for each root (which I haven't, yet, except for my "main outline"), the only way to access a roots is via navigating through the whole outline.

Hope that explains my thinking.