Extra Credit Option#1: Copenhagen

David Nurenberg

Dec 14, 2009, 3:36:12 PM12/14/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010

Historic global conferences are happening as we speak in Copenhagen,
where the leaders of the world's nations are trying to determine a
path forward to reverse or prevent further climate change. The last
large conference of this nature produced the Kyoto Protocols, bringing
about agreements between nations to reduce greenhouse gasses signed by
nearly every major world power...except us. Perhaps this round will
be different?

For an overview:
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/12/14/14greenwire-large-white-house-contingent-in-copenhagen-rai-51037.html

For an article about differences in opinion between the West and the
"developing nations:"
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2009/1214/Copenhagen-global-warming-talks-suspended-over-rich-poor-divide

A rather thorough compilation of the players and issues:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Climate_Change_Conference_2009

Video from a British TV station, covering the protesters outside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7sMw4Cw8LA

Check out these (or other) sources and react for extra credit.

- Mr. N.

Mark Nimar

Dec 15, 2009, 6:13:24 PM12/15/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
I am stunned at the outcome of protestors in Copenhagen, sailing
through the streets in golden light. Their ferocity is astounding an
earns my respect. Interestingly enough, a commentator on youtube said,
"Wouldnt it be ironic if all those left wing crackpots and anarchists
that are protesting against a problem that does not exists (i.e. man
maid (sic) global warming) will freeze to death in the streets of
Copenhagen?" (youtube). However, a famous singer came afterwards and
talked about how her village is ravaged by global warming, and it is a
harsh reality in the developing world. This event is not really a
matter of morality or capital gain- it is a matter of lives and the
future of the human race, and this turnout for the dignity of humanity
is nothing short of moving and even history-making

On Dec 14, 3:36 pm, David Nurenberg <misternurenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Historic global conferences are happening as we speak in Copenhagen,
> where the leaders of the world's nations are trying to determine a
> path forward to reverse or prevent further climate change.  The last
> large conference of this nature produced the Kyoto Protocols, bringing
> about agreements between nations to reduce greenhouse gasses signed by
> nearly every major world power...except us.  Perhaps this round will
> be different?
>
> For an overview:http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/12/14/14greenwire-large-white-house...
>
> For an article about differences in opinion between the West and the
> "developing nations:"http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2009/1214/Copenhagen-global-warming-ta...
>
> A rather thorough compilation of the players and issues:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Climate_Change_Conference...

oschultz

Dec 21, 2009, 12:19:06 PM12/21/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
The copenhagen talks were very interesting and very informative to say
the least in a socio-political sense. however, I must say that the
outcome of these talks was a bit disappointing to say the least. We
really need to get more work done after these talks in order to get
ourselves out of this mess. There really needs to be a larger effort
to get these talks out of the politics and into our daily lives in
order to get people to understand the dire situation that we are in.
The talks should have also included more corporate head and scientist
whom have a larger stake in this mess rather than a bunch of major
political leaders that are mostly trying to save face.

Phil Lavely

Jan 21, 2010, 7:21:46 PM1/21/10
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
Watching the Youtube video about the protesters made me feel a lot
like I did in class today: helpless. There are so many thousands of
people that do want change, want peace and prosperity for everyone,
but there are only the few powerful ones that have the means to do it.
As the video said, "Thousands came to demonstrate and show support,
but it is up to those behind the closed doors to resolve changes."
People were even arrested for their protesting for climate change, but
overall it was nonviolent. Climate change will affect people all over
the world, and as the African rapper stated, we need to talk less, and
do it now. I completely agree. I can show my support, or bike instead
of drive, but the real change has to come from the people in power,
the people elected to represent their countries and take action. I was
disappointed with the outcome, as this was a huge chance for something
important, and life-changing to many, to happen.

Phil Lavely

Jan 21, 2010, 7:28:12 PM1/21/10
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
I know it can be hard to make change, but it needs to be done. The
world is warming at rapid and terrifying rates. Something needs to be
done, and since it was not done at Copenhagen, it needs to be done
elsewhere. This means starting at home. Unplugging cell phone
chargers, turning off lights, and shorter showers. It means choosing
to be environmentally aware instead of self-involved. Choosing to buy
a honda civic instead of an SUV, choosing to bike or walk, or take
public transportation, instead of driving. Within one's community, he
or she can start making a difference. No matter how small, every part
counts. Just like the three college kids who went to Uganda, they were
miniscule in comparison to what is going on, but now they have been
able to make a major difference, simply because of their actions,
which started with small steps. Mayors and anyone in public office
needs to start taking more action, such as President Obama. People
need to change. People need to realize what is going on. People need
to pressure those in power. Eventually, with enough support, no-one
can resist working towards change and changing failed policies. I
would like to see that happen now.