Extra Credit Option#2: Iranian men wear headscarves in protest

1 view

David Nurenberg

Dec 14, 2009, 3:39:19 PM12/14/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010

As I've mentioned in class during our Iran unit, there have been, for
the past year, a series of massive protests against the theocracy in
Iran. In this week's news, Iranian men have begun wearing the veils
and chadors that the theocracy forces women to wear, as a protest
statement.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/men-turn-tables-on-regime-by-donning-headscarves-and-dresses-1839889.html

For extra credit, read these (or other) sources and react.

- Mr. N.

Alex Steinroeder

Dec 14, 2009, 11:41:15 PM12/14/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
This is great for the Iranian culture. For the most part, the
authorities make the women wear the dresses. These men are lashing out
against the authorities in order to promote freedom of speech and
freedom of clothing within their culture. This act of rebellion
towards authorities is showing that the men care about each other and
also the women, by rallying around this young student. They are
somewhat embarrasing the authorities by saying that there is nothing
wrong with the man wearing this veil and for the security forces to
arrest him is ridiculous.
The only problem I have with the men wearing these garments and
putting the pictures all over the internet is that it is disrespectful
towards the women who believe in the power of the veil. According to
the Koran, it is part of their duty as a religious muslim woman to
wear the garments to cover themselves up. When they see hundreds of
men starting to dress up in the headscarves it is insulting and it is
taking away the purpose of the veil.

On Dec 14, 3:39 pm, David Nurenberg <misternurenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I've mentioned in class during our Iran unit, there have been, for
> the past year, a series of massive protests against the theocracy in
> Iran.  In this week's news, Iranian men have begun wearing the veils
> and chadors that the theocracy forces women to wear, as a protest
> statement.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8409778.stm
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/men-turn-tables-o...

Mark Nimar

Dec 15, 2009, 5:53:27 PM12/15/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
I agree with Alex. It is highly disrespectful for men to wear the
religious garb, but for all of the women who do not have a choice in
wearing a chador, I think the event is momentous. It is a baby step in
revolutionizing the Iranian government- I don't think the men
necessarily want to insult women's choice to wear a chador, but they
wish to defy the oppression which it may symbolize for some women.
However, I think it is a landmark event for today, because something
like this could not happen w/o the internet. I pray that the Iranian
people reach a political consensus which is sensitive to all
backgrounds and female choices.

On Dec 14, 11:41 pm, Alex Steinroeder <alsteinroed...@yahoo.com>

Lucy Fandel

Dec 16, 2009, 9:47:09 PM12/16/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
I love this. I think it's fantanstic and very forward thinking. It
doesn't only make a statement on the veil but on the lack of women
rights in general because it proves that the men can get away with
wearing almost whatever they want, without getting into serious
trouble, while women in Iran cannot. While these men were arrested,
they probably will not face charges as serious as those a woman might
face if she went dressed in western clothing.
I understand that in places like Egypt, wear the women we saw
interviewed chose to wear the veil, this may be seen as a reason to
criticize the "perversion" of all men. They may see this protest as an
attempt by the men to get the "forbidden apple that one of the
Egyptian women spoke about. In Iran however, I think this is very
appropriate for the situation of oppression.

Jake White

Dec 22, 2009, 6:43:49 PM12/22/09
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
I think this is a very good way for the men to show their support of
the women that being forced to wear the veil. I think that it is
important for the men to have their voices and opinions heard because
in a society such as Iran's, a women's voice isn't as persuading as a
mans. This is definitely the type of protest that needs to occur more
often- men standing up for women's rights, because until women are
viewed completely equal to men their voices and opinions on the issue
will not matter.

Phil Lavely

Jan 21, 2010, 7:36:35 PM1/21/10
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
Unfortunately, as seen in history, women have not had equal rights to
men. Even if it is stated that they are equal, often times women and
other groups of people will be unfairly treated by people. This
happens subconsciously, just like in "White Privilege." For the men to
support the women and resist the times by dressing in veils and
chadors is a great thing I think. It really points out the flaw of the
lack of women rights. Although some men were arrested for doing this,
unlike women who might protest in an equally non-violent way, the men
will most likely not face severe penalties or charges. I think this is
a great thing that is going on in Iran right now, and it seems to me
to be a positive protest.

Phil Lavely

Jan 21, 2010, 7:47:33 PM1/21/10
to World Literature G Block 2009-2010
Although this isn't completely related to Iran and women rights, it
still pertains to what we studied. In Palestine as we know, there is
constant conflict between the Palestinians and Israelis. The conflict
traces back thousands of years to when the Canaanites claimed the
land. Here is a great website that shows some very upsetting things
done to people. http://www.annainthemiddleeast.com/ This, just like
the links above, show oppression and racism towards a group of people.
The Palestinians are treated very poorly by many Jews and Israelites.
People on both sides disagree with the other side's point of view, but
there are many people that don't want the conflict that there is. Many
want peace and justice, and no more war. Yet, due to small and radical
groups of people, violence persists. Change can be made and people
need to stand up for what they believe, just like Martin Luther King
Jr. did. He stood up for what he believed knowing full well he might
be killed for it. I wish there was something more I could do to help
out. Just like Copenhagen, political leaders need to take action and
do what is right. I definitely recommend people check out the site!