Is it ok to use the api to power wikipedia bots

Peter Lonjers

Dec 2, 2015, 1:50:46 PM12/2/15
to World Bank API
Specifically I am looking to build a bot to auto update https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty with  new data on a periodic(perhaps monthly basis). Just wanted to make sure that is a valid use of the api. The start of my project can be found at https://github.com/utilitarianexe/wiki_poverty_list_bot. Right now just pulling the csvs and parsing them but would rather use the api directly.

Tim Herzog

Dec 3, 2015, 11:31:39 AM12/3/15
to World Bank API
I don't see a problem with that.

Peter Lonjers

Dec 4, 2015, 9:59:50 PM12/4/15
to World Bank API
Woot first list is updated. Any idea why the data is so incomplete though.

Tim Herzog

Dec 24, 2015, 12:52:51 PM12/24/15
to World Bank API
The underlying poverty data is pretty sparse, particularly if you are querying a single year. We simply don't have a complete set of data for all countries, although we're making steady improvements all the time. The data site gives you some idea: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.DDAY or http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.2DAY.

Peter Lonjers

Dec 28, 2015, 9:33:16 PM12/28/15
to World Bank API
Yea I ended up doing the most recent year with data to fill in the chart and the map on the wiki page. Many countries have no data for any year at all. But yea I can totally see the challenges in gathering the data.