Extending Workspace Mechanic

Jingjie Jiang

Mar 11, 2014, 11:47:10 AM3/11/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am working on a Master's project which is to extend the Workspace Mechanic, for example, I would like to make the Preference Recorder as a routine, not triggered manually. Let's image a scenario like this, the user open the Eclipse preference page, then the Preference Recorder stared to work automatically and the stop when the user click Apply or OK button. After I would like to show the changes in a view in Eclipse instead of a pop-up window. So in the cases like this, I need to use the data from Workspace Mechanic. My question is, for using the data from Workspace Mechanic, which is the best way? Adding another package into the source code of Workspace Mechanic or build another plugin project and then import the packages of Worksoace Mechanic? Btw, my ultimate goal is that you guys think my extension is cool and the integrate it into Workspace Mechanic.

thank you for reading this long message and answering my questions.

Robert Konigsberg

Mar 11, 2014, 7:26:55 PM3/11/14
to workspacemechanic
Thanks for your interest.

Why do you think your idea is worth merging with the Workspace Mechanic, and not as a service on its own? I should point out that the Workspace Mechanic is currently in maintenance mode, and I'm only accepting bug fixes and high-quality contributions at this time.

Good luck with your project.

Robert Konigsberg
Message has been deleted

Jingjie Jiang

Mar 12, 2014, 3:17:37 PM3/12/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hello Robert,

Thanks very much for you replay. I meant that it will be better if you think that my work is worth to merge into Workspace Mechanic, but I will be totally fine if it doesn't :).The main goal of my project is not to make your guys accept my work. The reason why I want to extend Workspace Machanic is that in terms of academia, people have different requirements from the industrial users. I  have already talked to some teaching stuff in the universities, it seems they all have the similar problems. And lots of them can't be solved by Workspace Mechanic. Therefore, I think it maybe good if I add some extension (If everything goes find, it will expand the range of users of Workspace Mechanic). I just finish the requirement analysis with my supervisor, now, I need to make a decision whether to build a separate plug-in which will use the source code of Workspace Mechanic or just add some packages in the source code of Workspace Mechanic since I need to use its source code. That's why i asked the previous questions:)

Jeff Jensen

Mar 12, 2014, 3:46:17 PM3/12/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as to your final result.  Please post your release info here when it's available!

Robert Konigsberg

Mar 12, 2014, 3:50:54 PM3/12/14
to workspacemechanic
So far, you're talking about solutions, but I'd be better able to know what is going on if I knew what the _problem_ was.
--
Robert Konigsberg

Jingjie Jiang

Dec 19, 2014, 8:14:47 AM12/19/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

So finally, here is what I have got for my project: https://code.google.com/p/workspace-janitor/. You may think it is an interesting project or it is a crap, anyway, please tell me what do you think about it? Thank you very much.

Jingjie Jiang

Dec 19, 2014, 8:16:06 AM12/19/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Here is what I have got for my project: https://code.google.com/p/workspace-janitor/. You may think it is an interesting project or it is a crap, anyway, please tell me what do you think about it? Thank you very much.

Jeff Jensen

Dec 19, 2014, 9:28:46 AM12/19/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks... looks like some nice features you've added to WM!  Even simply having Preference Recorder auto activate is really nice usability (many times I've started making pref changes and then remembered I needed to capture the changes for the team config, so had to cancel and start again).

When will you make it available in Marketplace (or an update site) to easily try it?

Robert Konigsberg

Dec 19, 2014, 10:46:32 AM12/19/14
to workspacemechanic
This is all interesting stuff. Very nice!

Jingjie Jiang

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44:19 AM12/23/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for your comments :) Because of the network issues in mainland China, I haven't thoroughly tested it on all the OS platforms yet. Besides, to make it available on Marketplace (I am new to the Marketplace), there are still some things need to sort out, e.g, the Workspace Janitor uses the source code of WM, I need to careful about the copyrights things.

However, I have a local version of the update site (or features) for testing. If you are interested, I can send you to install it locally give a go, and of course, you can give me your valuable feedbacks after.

Looking forward to hearing from you. I wish you an early Merry Christmas!

Best,
Jingjie

On Friday, December 19, 2014 10:28:46 PM UTC+8, Jeff Jensen wrote:
Thanks... looks like some Hi features you've added to WM!  Even simply having Preference Recorder auto activate is really nice usability (many times I've started making pref changes and then remembered I needed to capture the changes for the team config, so had to cancel and start again).

Jingjie Jiang

Dec 23, 2014, 9:56:44 AM12/23/14
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for your comments, Robert. Do you think is it worth to formerly added some of the features into the WM??