Problem with eclipse preferences location directory

ToM

Jan 30, 2015, 3:45:49 AM1/30/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

do you remember the changes for this patch?
https://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/workspacemechanic/source/detail?r=4873bdecd9797b2b458dc0ab1df93cc1df2fafa3

The mechanism itself still works fine however I detected a migration issue:

- I updated my eclipse and everything with it (plugins etc)
- My new eclipse is located in a different directory
- Now when I load my "old" workspace, the workspace mechanic preference file is also loaded with it (from \.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\com.google.eclipse.mechanic.prefs)
And in there "mechanicSourceDirectories" points to my old eclipse installation
=> Thus the old prefererences are loaded and the whole mechanism doesn't work

When I delete the properties everything is working fine and set to the correct location of the new eclipse.
Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks,
ToM

Robert Konigsberg

Jan 30, 2015, 6:59:29 AM1/30/15
to workspacemechanic
I wouldn't put the mechanic tasks in an Eclispe subsystem. Ideally you're supposed to store them as part of your home directory's dot files.

TvT

Jan 30, 2015, 7:18:03 AM1/30/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
But the change from 2011 was exactly about that.

We have a common eclipse environment for all developers. So I defined the global company ruleset and put it within that eclipse.zip
So every developer has the same eclipse + the same settings - which are then applied on their local workspace(s). There is no chance to distribute it in each user folder - how should we do that with an "offline" file?

And until the upgrade it was working perfectly. Now only the check for that eclipse folder needs to be
a) happening once during upgrade of that workspace (eclipse asks the first time when opening an old workspace if it should be migrated)
b) on each start of eclipse (probably a more trivial task)

Regards,
ToM

Jeff Jensen

Jan 30, 2015, 7:43:44 AM1/30/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
We commit the WM files to source control.  Then in the onboarding doc/scripts, add the dir to WM prefs (dir is local, pulled from scm).