Moving the workspace mechanic to GitHub.

Robert Konigsberg

Mar 12, 2015, 9:12:09 PM3/12/15
to workspacemechanic
I'm planning to move the Workspace Mechanic to GitHub. There's no urgent rush but it should be done some time this year.

The pending issue is how to provide an update site. Doesn't look like GitHub will have the same flexibility that Google Code had.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Robert

Alex Blewitt

Mar 13, 2015, 12:05:13 PM3/13/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Bi tray is increasingly used for hosting binary data. I know the Gerrit code base is looking at using that.

Alex

Sent from my iPhat 6

Alex Blewitt

Mar 13, 2015, 12:08:06 PM3/13/15
to Alex Blewitt, workspac...@googlegroups.com
That should have been bintray. Apologies for the autocorrect failure and I hope I didn't accidentally cause any offence.

Alex

Sent from my iPhat 6

Johannes Wachter

Mar 14, 2015, 12:16:51 PM3/14/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
There is also the possibility to put the updatesite into Github Pages as e.g. the m2e-code-quality guys are doing it [1].

Johannes

Luiz-Otavio Zorzella

Apr 18, 2015, 12:54:34 PM4/18/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
FIWI, for Zoodiac, I simply host most everything in github, except I upload the update site to a sourceforge project. See README of:

mguil...@yahoo.fr

Jun 22, 2015, 8:57:53 AM6/22/15
to workspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

what is the status? I've made some improvements locally but it would really be easier if I could fork the project on GitHub and submit pull requests.

Cheers,
Marc.

Robert Konigsberg

Jun 22, 2015, 9:55:07 PM6/22/15
to workspacemechanic
I cut a trial copy, with some success. I'll delete it and try again in
the near future.

Kevin Formsma

Nov 10, 2015, 4:26:37 PM11/10/15
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse
Any update on this migration? It looks like google code is in RO mode now, so having this in Github might allow some additional people to maintain it.

Kevin Formsma

Nov 10, 2015, 4:28:06 PM11/10/15
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse, alex.b...@gmail.com
I agree, I think bintray is a good place for the update site. See http://blog.bintray.com/2014/03/11/hosting-your-eclipse-update-site-p2-on-bintray-com/

Robert Konigsberg

Nov 16, 2015, 12:41:00 PM11/16/15
to workspacemechanic, Alex Blewitt
No, no update on the migration. It's been years since I've actively worked on it. If someone would like to take ownership of the project, please speak with me.

alf.s...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 2:36:20 AM6/20/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse, alex.b...@gmail.com
Hello together,

i've moved the project to my github account:

https://github.com/alfsch/workspacemechanic

The project is updated to use tycho 0.25.0 and a composite update site/repository is created. You can find the new update site on my github pages:

https://alfsch.github.io/eclipse-updates/workspacemechanic

Help on migrating Workspace Mechanic to 'Neon' is welcome.

BR,

Alfred

lidochca G

Jun 21, 2016, 5:03:30 AM6/21/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse, alex.b...@gmail.com
Alfred, The provided link for installing workspace mechanic, is hardly working.
Once, has been said that it is successfully installed, but after restart I can not find the plugin.

Current version 0.4.0 has few error logs at workbench start-up and it seems to be old, from 2014.
Where I can download latest jar for wm 0.5.2 ?
Thank you
Lidia

alf.s...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 6:30:04 AM6/21/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse
Hello Lidia,

so you've installed it from the new update site?

When everything is done you can find it in the eclipse preferences dialog. And you can see a small green sign on the right bottom of eclipse. Right Click on it opens the Workspace Mechanic Context Menu, where you can reload Preferences, Start and Stop the recoreder....

Currently there are some Issues due to the new GUI and Themes.

Everybody who can fix these issues is welcome.

I've done only the update Site, I think about providing a link to the zipped Repository also.

BR,

Alfred

lidochca G

Jun 21, 2016, 10:48:08 AM6/21/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse
Thank you Alfred,

The reason why the wm plugin wasn't visible is that after installation, it wasn't able to restart the eclipse. I was getting an error, and removed the cache data.
Finally, I succeeded to install the jar itself, and I am still getting same stack trace errors in log (that I was hoping will be solved with latest update), and wm dialog is not displayed.

Using an eclipse Mars 1 or 2, I am getting the errors:

!MESSAGE Unable to create class 'org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.CompatibilityWorkbenchWindowControlContribution' from bundle '732'

!STACK 0

org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException

…

                at com.google.eclipse.mechanic.plugin.ui.MechanicStatusControlContribution.updateDisplay(MechanicStatusControlContribution.java:167)

Where bundle 732 is org.eclipse.ui.workbench   3.107.1 v 20160120.
Sounds it to be incompatible with this eclipse release, as the

org.eclipse.ui.menus.WorkbenchWindowControlContribution.getWorkbenchWindow() is null.

Where I can report this issue? how to find if a similar error has been identified and if there is an open bug or recommended workflow for solving it?

Thank you
Lidia

alf.s...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 11:33:27 AM6/21/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse
Hello,

you can post issues here:

https://github.com/alfsch/workspacemechanic/issues

I've running Workspace Mechanic 0.5.2.XXX on Neon RC3 Linux GTK without any (ok there a the GUI issues with dark theme) problems. It would be nice if you can provide logfiles, exact eclipse Version (Windows/Mac/Linux).

Installing the jar itself is not enough since Update-Site installs a lot of eclispe 3.x compatibility layer stuff (maybe this is missing).

BR,

Alfred

lidochca G

Jun 21, 2016, 11:34:41 AM6/21/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse
I am sorry, in plaint eclipse mars 2 the error doesn't seems to occur. I have a customized eclipse mars. Maybe workspace mechanic plugin itself is not the root cause of the issues I am getting.
Thanks
Lidia

alf.s...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 2:05:02 PM6/21/16
to Workspace Mechanic for Eclipse
As I said, maybe in your customized eclipse the 3.x compatibility layer is missing?

BR,

Alfred

Jeff Jensen

Jun 22, 2016, 11:46:57 AM6/22/16
to workspac...@googlegroups.com, alex.b...@gmail.com
Thank you for supporting this and providing a new update site!