Feature Requests

polyclefsoftware

May 22, 2010, 2:32:22 PM5/22/10
to WordWise
Post your requests for features you'd like to see in upcoming
versions.

Current features we're working on:

***Email your opponent in-game. Will allow you to send an email to an
opponent while playing a game. Email addresses are hidden, so this
feature allows you to share your email for future invites if you
invited the person randomly and would like to invite them again.

***Accept/Decline invitations. You will have the option of either
accepting or declining an invitation to a WordWise game.

***Display opponent tiles remaining

***Display number of valid play attempts remaining

***Display last play in game list

***Unique game IDs

***Opt in or out of receiving email notifications

***Automatic notifications. NOTE: This may take a while. Android 2.2
added good support for server-to-client notifications, so we will
implement this when most users are upgraded to 2.2.

Hove

Jun 2, 2010, 1:39:09 PM6/2/10
to WordWise

Since everyone using this game has a gmail account and Talk loaded on
their phones , how about using Talk as a chat feature. Option to opt
out of course.

HomeMadeHitShow

Jun 4, 2010, 12:15:21 PM6/4/10
to WordWise
Having played for a few days I have a couple of suggestions

1) The ability to "Go To Next Active Game" without returning to the
main menu
2) Add a "Submit Word" button to the UI instead of behind the menu
button
3) Some form of ingame chat as mentioned above
4) Display of score on screen while building words, helping you figure
out what the score will be before playing the word.

Great game overall.

layth al-alousi

Jun 7, 2010, 10:50:07 AM6/7/10
to WordWise
submit button onscreen instead of having to hit menu button everytime

rematch button

in the corner of the icon it'd be cool is something popped up saying
when its your turn

some way to invite current contacts to download and play the game

a history of the last few games you played (wins or losses, and
scores)

on screen display of how much the word would score as you are placing
tiles to make words

layth al-alousi

Jun 7, 2010, 1:29:30 PM6/7/10
to WordWise
You should start a Facebook page. I think this game would do great and
a facebook page would definitely be a way to advertise. Thats how
people find other people to play Words with Friends on iphone.

Paul

Jun 8, 2010, 1:44:40 AM6/8/10
to WordWise
Is this for Android 2+? I don't see it in the market on my G1.

polyclefsoftware

Jun 8, 2010, 10:53:36 AM6/8/10
to WordWise
As far as I know, developers are still not able to access Google Talk
functionality for their Android apps. That's a great idea. We do have
a feature that lets you email your opponent in-game, but we know you'd
like to chat as well. We've got that on our request list and we'll
look into it for future versions.

polyclefsoftware

Jun 8, 2010, 10:56:48 AM6/8/10
to WordWise
On Jun 4, 11:15 am, HomeMadeHitShow <homemadehits...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having played for a few days I have a couple of suggestions
>
> 1) The ability to "Go To Next Active Game" without returning to the
> main menu
> 2) Add a "Submit Word" button to the UI instead of behind the menu
> button
> 3) Some form of ingame chat as mentioned above
> 4) Display of score on screen while building words, helping you figure
> out what the score will be before playing the word.

These are good suggestions. On the "Submit Word" button on-screen, the
reason we push so many functions into the menu system is because we
really have a limited amount of screen space, and we want people on a
lot of different screen sizes to be able to play the game. If you're
on a device with high resolution (e.g. a Nexus, Droid, or Evo), you'll
see some extra space. But on an Eris or a device with smaller
resolution, there simply is no more room for UI elements on-screen.

We will add your requests to our list, and thanks for the input.

polyclefsoftware

Jun 8, 2010, 11:01:55 AM6/8/10
to WordWise
On Jun 7, 9:50 am, layth al-alousi <laythalalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> submit button onscreen instead of having to hit menu button everytime

See response above.

> rematch button

This is a good idea. We're actually looking at putting a link into the
game summary email that lets you invite the opponent to a rematch.

> in the corner of the icon it'd be cool is something popped up saying
> when its your turn.

Automatic notifications are probably our number one feature request.
We'll hopefully get them into the next update, which we hope will be
soon.

> some way to invite current contacts to download and play the game

If you click the "Invite a Friend" button on the main menu, this
should accomplish what you're talking about. Just begin typing a
contact's email address and it will autocomplete. Click Invite and
they will be sent an email with the link to download the game.

> a history of the last few games you played (wins or losses, and
> scores)

This is probably our #2 requested feature. :) We're already compiling
these statistics; we're just working on setting up a page for each
player with their stats, as well as a global leaderboard. Once we have
that in place, we plan on instituting a ranking system so you can
easily find players with the same skill level.

> on screen display of how much the word would score as you are placing
> tiles to make words

We've gotten this request before as well. It would require
communication with the server, which is where the word list and
scoring information resides. Implementing this feature would make the
app either significantly larger or significantly slower.

polyclefsoftware

Jun 8, 2010, 11:02:20 AM6/8/10
to WordWise
We already do! Just search for "wordwise" from Facebook.

polyclefsoftware

Jun 8, 2010, 11:04:46 AM6/8/10
to WordWise
Yep. We made the decision to support Android 2.0+, mostly because
we're using a feature only in 2.0 that uses the account information
you used to set up your phone to automatically log you into the server
to play. The myTouch will be upgraded to 2.1 (hopefully very soon),
but unfortunately devices such as the G1 will not be supported.

layth al-alousi

Jun 9, 2010, 9:21:18 AM6/9/10
to WordWise
it would be cool if the back button went straight to the main menu
from inside a game. I constantly hit back and end up back on my home
screen and have to reopen the app and wait for it to load again. Not
sure if everyone else is having the same problem.

kenny

Jun 12, 2010, 3:35:17 PM6/12/10
to WordWise
Pass and play feature would be nice. This way you could pass the phone
back and forth with a friend.

Brykins

Jun 14, 2010, 4:26:37 AM6/14/10
to WordWise
Something that just occurred to me. I have games that have been
started and my opponent has never taken a move. Something that
"nudged" a player if they are more than two days past their move or
something. And when I've been waiting for a week, then I ought to be
able to claim the game instead of making myself lose.....

Philip Tucker

Jun 14, 2010, 11:03:48 AM6/14/10
to word...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we plan to add automatic cleanup of "stale" games in a future release.

Brykins

Jun 22, 2010, 4:07:35 PM6/22/10
to WordWise
I think a very important feature that needs to be added is some form
of player statistics. Even if it's just a simple %age won -v- %age
lost. I am finding that lots of my games are ended early, normally
when I am ahead, as there's no incentive to finish a game.

I also think that the random invites ought to be matched to players
ability - ie, those that win a higher &age should be matched to others
who win more, and maybe even average end games scores could be taken
in to account.

Bryan.

Lisa Eschette

Jun 22, 2010, 4:19:53 PM6/22/10
to word...@googlegroups.com

I agree. I have one game that I am ahead in score with only two tiles left to finish the game. I think my opponent is hoping I resign the game. The others, initiate a game, play of couple words and never play again in hopes that resign the game. It's not going to happen! I finish what I start! We need to address these problems.

On May 22, 7:32 pm, polyclefsoftware <dja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Post your requests for features yo...

Philip Tucker

Jun 22, 2010, 5:10:35 PM6/22/10
to word...@googlegroups.com
We do have plans for a ranking system. Resignations will count as wins & losses, though they might be weighted based on the number of tiles played.

layth al-alousi

Jun 24, 2010, 1:04:19 PM6/24/10
to WordWise

I like the rematch feature but when the game ends and I'm not in
Wordwise I don't see that screen with the rematch option
Maybe the games that end could stay in the game list until you look at
the game. that way you could look over the game and hit the rematch
button if you want

DaveSF

Jun 28, 2010, 8:09:46 PM6/28/10
to WordWise
I'm loving this game, great work so far!

A suggestion for the in-game messaging: could it NOT include the
sender's email address in the Subject line? I'd prefer the option to
stay anonymous (aside from my nickname).

Philip Tucker

Jun 29, 2010, 9:22:52 PM6/29/10
to word...@googlegroups.com
It should only contain the sender's email address if the game was started via "Invite Friend" (in which case the players would have exchanged an email message). If started via "Invite Random" is should contain the nickname.

If you're seeing the email address included on a game started via "Invite Random", please send me the game ID and I'll investigate.

91firebird

Jul 3, 2010, 11:40:09 PM7/3/10
to WordWise
Obviously notifications is my biggest request. Next would be a way to
kick idle players or a time limit ( even if its a long time limit like
hours... so I can play at work 8-) ). Also a way to opt out of
receiving an e-mail with the game summary. Enjoying the game though!

Ben

Jul 6, 2010, 10:56:26 AM7/6/10
to WordWise
Just adding a few of my own personal requests (some of these have
already been mentioned by others in different threads, etc):

- Ability to drag board around in zoom mode
- Submit button in UI
- Ability to shuffle letters with button press (different from being
able to rearrange on your own - helps for thinking of words!)
- In-game chat
- UI improvement (obviously a post-feature request but this game could
look quite a bit nicer :))

Great game so far! Like someone else mentioned, creating a Facebook
page might really help spread the word as well!

Thanks for all the hard work so far!

Ben

Bryan Anderson

Jul 6, 2010, 10:57:54 AM7/6/10
to word...@googlegroups.com
There's already a FB page. Just search for WordWise.

Ben Judy

Jul 8, 2010, 1:53:05 PM7/8/10
to WordWise
LOVE the game.

My #1 suggestion is easier rearranging of tiles. It seems the only way
I can rearrange tiles on my rack is by "drop & swap" -- I can select a
tile, drop it on another, and the two switch places. This makes
actually putting the tiles in the order of my choice a game in itself
(and not a very fun game). Unless I'm missing something, there is
significant room for improvement in this little interaction.

Also, +1 for dragging the board while zoomed in.

Great stuff, keep up the good work! Glad there is a decent Scrabble /
Words With Friends style game on Android. If either of those ever
finally shows up on the Android platform, they will have to do better
than WordWise. Keep improving WordWise and they may stay away from the
platform altogether.

Ben

Jul 9, 2010, 3:12:17 PM7/9/10
to WordWise
Newest version of the game actually addresses both of these! Shake to
rearrange and panning while zoomed!

jrishel

Jul 14, 2010, 9:13:11 AM7/14/10
to WordWise
I'd like improved "random" player matching. I've sent out numerous
random player invites, but have yet to have a player accept and start
a game with me. Perhaps match players up with people who've also
recently sent a "new opponent" request?

Ben Judy

Jul 15, 2010, 6:40:52 AM7/15/10
to WordWise
I appreciate the "shake to rearrange" feature. Nice add! But what I'm
talking about is perhaps best named, "drag to move".

What I want to do is put the tiles in the order of my choice on the
rack. The interaction goes like this:

- tap and hold a tile
- drag left or right
- drop *next to* (not *on top of*) another tile
- my tile is placed where I dropped it; the other tiles stay in order
and simply move left or right to accommodate

This is different than shake to rearrange, which merely randomizes the
tile order. It's also different from the drop & swap functionality
that currently exists, which I find frustrating when what I want to do
is simply move the location of a single tile. WordWise supports this
feature well -- you tap and drag a tile, and as you move left or
right, the other tiles light up green to indicate you can drop & swap.
What I'm suggesting is, add a green, vertical bar *in between* tiles
as well, to indicate you can drop the tile there.

There is a way to achieve something sort of similar -- I simply drag
my tiles to an empty part of the board to see them in the order I want
and rearrange to see if new combinations jump out at me. But this is
much more difficult and time consuming than if I could just drag to
rearrange on the rack. And when my tiles are returned to the rack,
they go back to the order they were in.

Anyway... appreciate the game and the recent improvements. Panning
while zoomed is a HUGE win. :)

Baz

Jul 16, 2010, 10:28:12 AM7/16/10
to WordWise
My desires to help the game is:

1) Manually Rearranging tiles on your rack
2) Having the center tile-spot be a double word spot. Going first is
currently a huge disadvantage.

OneColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2010, 4:08:14 PM7/23/10
to WordWise
Having double-word score on the center tile would always place the
person who sends the invitation at a disadvantage. If it were
implemented then the person who plays first would have to be
randomized. I never did like the double-word center tile in Scrabble,
and in the current version of WordWise it would be worse.

p.amadeus

Jul 27, 2010, 8:55:09 PM7/27/10
to WordWise
The flip side of that is going first is generally a big disadvantage
because of this. The middle spot should be double, and player to go
first should be randomized, I feel this would make things the most
even... as things are now if you're up first you're better off passing
and making the other player go first so you can play off their tiles
and get a double word.

HomeMadeHitShow

Jul 28, 2010, 12:52:52 PM7/28/10
to WordWise
I disagree that going first makes such a big difference. It changes
the game from regular scrabble for sure but it's still part of a
strategic game. As the player going first you have the option to
PASS, get rid of some low scoring letters (for a points letter swap
like go), or play a bingo that is not dependent on other letters.
There are a lot of options and I like the fact that it's different.

It seems to me that my fav strategy is to play a low scoring word that
gets rid of some crappy letters.

malsbury

Aug 3, 2010, 11:49:17 AM8/3/10
to WordWise
I would like to see the ability of rotating the board to a landscape
view. I think it can be done without taking up more screen real estate
than when in portrait mode. I took a screen grab and did a quick
rearrange on the most basic level just to show what I am talking
about.

Here is the standard view of a game: http://twitpic.com/2b9pp7

Here is a possible landscape layout: http://twitpic.com/2b9q58

I would also like to see the ability to recall the tiles from the
board on the main screen rather then in the menu. Here are a couple
quick views of possible layouts within the current space of the
screen.

Portrait: http://twitpic.com/2b9vzq

Landscape: http://twitpic.com/2b9wsq

Now that I look at it, I realized that I positioned the layout based
on my own left-handed-ness with the tiles on the left in landscape and
the 'play word' button under my right thumb in both orientations.
Maybe it could be a menu setting for left or right handed and place
the tiles and 'play' button accordingly.

The only other suggestion I have is one you already know about, Native
Notifications. It would be great to see this feature as an option for
those already on 2.2. Until then I have been using the work around of
filtering the messages in Gmail and having it forward them to me as a
txt message and then archive the email to keep my inbox clean.

Thanks again for the great app. I can't wait for the iPhone version to
be released so I can play with my non-android friends.

Bart Sides

Aug 30, 2010, 11:27:25 AM8/30/10
to WordWise
Please add a pass and play mode. I can't tell you how many times I've
shown the game to a friend and they asked if they could play.

91firebird

Sep 5, 2010, 12:36:04 PM9/5/10
to WordWise
I thought I saw that a leaderboard/stat page existed but I don't know
where its at or how to view it. Can anyone tell me if this feature
has been implented yet and if so, how to find it? Thanx!

b nale

Sep 5, 2010, 1:25:44 PM9/5/10
to word...@googlegroups.com

b nale

Sep 5, 2010, 1:26:27 PM9/5/10
to word...@googlegroups.com

Its in the pro vs. Under main menu.

lynner1414

Oct 29, 2010, 12:10:03 PM10/29/10
to WordWise
it would be cool if you could see your record against a particular
player

On Sep 5, 1:26 pm, b nale <itsa100dollab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its in the pro vs. Under main menu.

Benjamin Holladay

Dec 15, 2010, 4:01:26 AM12/15/10
to WordWise
Games should expire after a certain period of inactivity like 10 days
or so. I have several games on my menu that haven't been played on at
all in a while

redwgngal

Aug 28, 2012, 5:47:17 PM8/28/12
to word...@googlegroups.com
Add force forfeit after no play for 48hours. Ive had to resign a winning game because of non play