Promoting the WW Site

1 view

FlyingJoe

Mar 19, 2007, 1:13:22 PM3/19/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
It seems a shame to me that there are only about 100 active users for
the site, and I was wondering how others might be attracted to this
location...

I don't expect anything from it, but I sent an e-mail to Games
magazine, in case they ever review internet-based board-type games:

Here's the e-mail...
Hello there - Games Magazine Editor,

I've been a reader off and on of Games Magazine for umpteen years now,
and wanted to pass on an internet gaming treasure to you. I was
wondering if you ever look at internet versions of board games,
because I know of a great one to recommend to your readers.

So many of the online games are ruined by aggressive advertising
schemes, but here's one that is not only faithful to one of the most
played board games (Boggle) but enhances it further using online
features, all essentially without any financial or advertising
interference.

The website is http://www.wordwiggle.com

I've been playing versions of Boggle there for over three years now,
and a few months ago I started a Google Groups fan club for the site
(http://groups.google.com/group/wordwiggle-fanclub). This lets us get
to know each other, for those who wish to, and we feature regular word
puzzles and challenges.

Since the Wordwiggle game site isn't linked through advertising, then
it doesn't score very high using the Google search criteria and so not
many people ever find the site. The way most current users have found
it was thanks to the author of the site also having created a free
software version of it for Palm handheld devices.
(http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?
fuseaction=software.showsoftware&PartnerREF=&siteid=1&prodID=50556).

So with its existence now of 4 years, the site still only has maybe
150 users but could have so much more. Your readers absolutely love
word games and many would truly enjoy this private, free, well-
designed and easy-to-use haven for gamers. Myself, I easily spend an
hour each day playing with other regulars on the site.

Please visit the site - even if just for yourself, as you must be a
word-game fan yourself.

Sincerely,

Richard Lecours
Toronto ON Canada

MKSoft

Mar 19, 2007, 7:06:38 PM3/19/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
On Mar 19, 1:13 pm, "FlyingJoe" <flyingj...@mac.com> wrote:
> It seems a shame to me that there are only about 100 active users for
> the site, and I was wondering how others might be attracted to this
> location...
>
> I don't expect anything from it, but I sent an e-mail to Games
> magazine, in case they ever review internet-based board-type games:
>
> Here's the e-mail...

I would like to thank you for saying such kind words about my little
word game site. I did make it just for fun, so I figured that others
should enjoy it too.

Some information:

A) I don't keep user data for users that delete their accounts or
that
have their accounts auto-deleted after 1 year of inactivity. Thus, I
don't have full numbers.

B) Over the history of the site, 10,188 user accounts were created.
Since you don't need an account to play practice games, there could
have been more than that number of users.

C) Of the current active user accounts, 1883 had downloaded the
Palm WordWiggle dictionary and 395 had not. This means that
there is a high ratio of Palm to non-Palm users of the site.

D) Currently, WordWiggle.com, with all of its efficient bandwidth
usage tricks, uses between 1Gbyte and 2Gbyte per month of
bandwidth. (Certain times of the year being higher than others)

E) I had a peak usage about 2 years ago. (The site has been around
now for over 5 years with the wordwiggle.com domain having started
back in January of 2003. (Before that the site was just part of the
sinz.org website.)

FlyingJoe

Apr 8, 2007, 1:40:27 PM4/8/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
MKSoft said:
> C) Of the current active user accounts, 1883 had downloaded the
> Palm WordWiggle dictionary and 395 had not. This means that
> there is a high ratio of Palm to non-Palm users of the site.

I guess this means that in the last 12 months, 2,278 people have used
the site at one point or another, either regularly or not. I have to
say that's a lot higher than I imagined from the names I see playing
the various games.

I would still guess that there are maybe 100 to 200 or so "regulars",
depending on how you want to define "regular". And closer to 80 or
less for people who play once or more in a given week.

Regardless, I know there are so many more out there who would love to
use this site if they only knew about it. But I also hear you about
Bandwidth and so on. I would be happy to Paypal you a donation for a
tiny fraction of the amount of time and pleasure I've taken from this
site.

FlyingJoe

Apr 8, 2007, 2:12:20 PM4/8/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club

On Apr 8, 1:40 pm, "FlyingJoe" <flyingj...@mac.com> wrote:
> I would be happy to Paypal you a donation for a
> tiny fraction of the amount of time and pleasure I've taken from this
> site.

Upon re-reading this, I think I wrote it in a way that says the
opposite of what I meant... LOL
What was meant was that I have gotten so much pleasure and spent so
much time at the WW site that whatever I give can only represent a
small repayment for what I received.

There! That's got it! :-)

MKSoft

Apr 9, 2007, 10:57:02 AM4/9/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
I am not asking for any donations at this time. If my bandwidth
usage goes over 100gig/month for WordWiggle I may need to
start, but right now, I can (and want) to keep the site as is.
(Plus, if it does get to there, it would require a 100x increase
in usage or some DOS/DDOS attack...)

MKSoft

Apr 9, 2007, 10:58:38 AM4/9/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
Thank you for your kind words - just keep enjoying the
site. That is what I want to see - many people enjoying
the site.

Enjoy and keep on wiggling... :-)