Missing words in WW

plover

Sep 1, 2008, 10:32:00 PM9/1/08
to WordWiggle Fan Club
Every so often I've found words in a WW grid that were not recognized
by the dictionary. I thought it might be good to have a place to make
suggestions for additions to the dictionary.

(While where's another thread that mention this subject, but it seemed
useful to have a thread devoted to it.)

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple of others, but these are the
two I can remember stumbling over:

conure, n. (a type of parrot)
blog, n. and v.

Associated forms: conures, blogs, blogged, blogging, blogger, bloggers

I'm less sure whether I think the verb "google" ought to be added,
though I suspect it is more widely used than some of the slang terms
that are in the dictionary ever were.

I don't know how a thread gets stickied on this forum, but if others
agree it should and chime in below, the powers that be take notice.

"Stickied" is another possible word for consideration. It's quite
standard -- specialized maybe, but not really slang at this point.

MKSoft

Sep 2, 2008, 10:20:16 PM9/2/08
to WordWiggle Fan Club
On Sep 1, 10:32 pm, plover <the.estu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Every so often I've found words in a WW grid that were not recognized
> by the dictionary. I thought it might be good to have a place to make
> suggestions for additions to the dictionary.
>
> (While where's another thread that mention this subject, but it seemed
> useful to have a thread devoted to it.)
>
> I'm pretty sure there have been a couple of others, but these are the
> two I can remember stumbling over:
>
> conure, n. (a type of parrot)
> blog, n. and v.
>
> Associated forms: conures, blogs, blogged, blogging, blogger, bloggers

Ahh, yes, some new words. I can look at adding them. I have been
trying
to stick to the ENABLE standard but adding a few words should not be
hard
if I can also write up the definitions (and citations, but that is
mainly
for me to push them back to the ENABLE group)

I can not say how long it would take to add them - I have not done
much
on the dictionary in a while and have to re-learn the tools I built
for it :-)
(Yes, I built them but I sure don't remember what I built oh so many
years
ago).

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread. I hope to be able to act on
it soon. (It will not change the scoring on any past tournaments)

> I'm less sure whether I think the verb "google" ought to be added,
> though I suspect it is more widely used than some of the slang terms
> that are in the dictionary ever were.
>
> I don't know how a thread gets stickied on this forum, but if others
> agree it should and chime in below, the powers that be take notice.
>
> "Stickied" is another possible word for consideration. It's quite
> standard -- specialized maybe, but not really slang at this point.

Interesting question - the normal rule has been to accept words that
have been accepted by dictionaries (at least one reputable one).

plover

Sep 4, 2008, 12:00:52 AM9/4/08
to WordWiggle Fan Club
> Ahh, yes, some new words. I can look at adding them. I have been trying
> to stick to the ENABLE standard but adding a few words should not be hard
> if I can also write up the definitions (and citations, but that is mainly
> for me to push them back to the ENABLE group)

Thanks. I had no idea when you might be able to deal with this -- just
thought it might be useful to start a list.

> Interesting question - the normal rule has been to accept words that
> have been accepted by dictionaries (at least one reputable one).

I have access to the online OED through my local library. "Conure"
turns up (though it's not in my old print copy), as does "blog" (as
both n and v, "blogging" also occurs as a noun, so "bloggings" could
be added to the list forms.)

"Google" is there too, though it is capitalized when the meaning is
"to search the internet", in lower case, it is a verb referring to the
motion of a cricket ball bowled as a "googly".

"Stickied" does not appear.

I thought of another missing word: "tech" meaning either "technician"
or "technology". That the list has "techie" but not "tech" seems odd.

*

Corrections to my rather-obviously-unproofread previous post:

> (While where's another thread that mention this subject, but it seemed useful to have a thread devoted to it.)

(There's another thread that mentions this subject, but it seemed
useful to have a thread devoted to it.)

> I don't know how a thread gets stickied on this forum, but if others agree it should and chime in below, the powers that be take notice.

I don't know how a thread gets stickied on this forum, but if others
agree it should, and chime in below, perhaps the powers that be may
take notice.

MKSoft

Sep 4, 2008, 10:26:28 PM9/4/08
to WordWiggle Fan Club
On Sep 4, 12:00 am, plover <the.estu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how a thread gets stickied on this forum, but if others
> agree it should, and chime in below, perhaps the powers that be may
> take notice.

Well, while WordWiggle is my creation, I have no ownership or
authority in this group. It is independently run (and I like that as
I don't have much free time anyway). We could ask FlyingJoe if he can
do this (I think he was one of the people who started this discussion
group.)

FlyingJoe

Sep 7, 2008, 10:22:53 PM9/7/08
to WordWiggle Fan Club