Very Useful Tools for WordWigglers - Must Read!

flyin...@mac.com

Dec 9, 2006, 9:33:09 PM12/9/06
to WordWiggle Fan Club
I'm going to post a few useful tools for WordWigglers, all to be found
in one spot on this thread.

I invite any and all Wordwigglers to add to it as well, with your
useful tools and hints.

I've never used any of the info. I'll post here before, having just
found it, but I wish I had had it earlier to help with the learning
process...

Read on...

flyin...@mac.com

Dec 9, 2006, 9:35:47 PM12/9/06
to WordWiggle Fan Club
The following site has lists of correct words, grouped by length:
3-letter words, 4-letter words and so on. Near as I can tell, the
words are the same as for the WordWiggle Dictionary. I found other
sites but those all had different words than ours. With this one, I
have yet to find one in either list that wasn't on the other (after
sampling a hundred words or so).

In particular, the 3-letter word list would be helpful for pretty much
anyone:
http://www.esclub.gr/games/wordox/3.html

flyin...@mac.com

Dec 9, 2006, 9:49:27 PM12/9/06
to WordWiggle Fan Club
Another useful list is of 3-letter vowel-less words. It's taken me a
long time just to learn some of them, and I don't know if I have them
all yet, so feel free to add to it...

Here's a chance for all readers to learn them...

Without "Y": brr, cwm, hmm, nth, pht, shh, tsk

With "Y": cry, dry, fly, fry, gym, gyp, ply, pry, shy, sky, sly, spy,
sty, thy, try, why, wry
(I'll let others decide if "Y" is a vowel, "vowel-consonant", or
consonant...)

An interesting site on the subject is at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-letter_vowel-less_English_word

On it, they suggest that the longest vowel-less word has 12 letters and
is: Twyndyllyngs
Separately, they note that the longest commonly-used word is 7 letters:
Rhythms

flyin...@mac.com

Dec 9, 2006, 10:07:18 PM12/9/06
to WordWiggle Fan Club
And of course, some of the combo words we learned from the first
challenges at the site:
Such as for 3-letter words:
>From the letters AET: tea, eat, ate, tae, eta
" " " APS: spa, asp, pas, sap

For 5-letter words:
>From the letters AREPS: rapes, pears, pares, spear, spare,
parse, asper, apers, apres,
prase,
presa, reaps
" " " ESATL: least, tesla, setal, stela, tales,
stale, teals, steal, slate, taels
" " " SPALE: leaps, pleas, pales, lapse, salep,
sepal, spate, peals

For 5-letter words with doubled vowels:
>From the letters EESTR: ester, reest, reset, steer, stere,
terse, trees
" " " EESPR: peers, perse, prees, prese, speer,
spree
" " " OOSTL: tools, loots, stool, lotos, sotol
" " " OOSTR: roost, toros, torso, roots, rotos
" " " AASTP: tapas, pasta, ataps
" " " IISDM: midis, imids

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

FlyingJoe

Jan 29, 2007, 7:12:40 PM1/29/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
You can now find the WW Dictionary itself on the fan Club Site!
It's called WORDWIGGLE DICTIONARY WORDS.TXT and
can be found in the WW Fan's FILES Section.

It's just a text document so you can open it with any text
editing program. This can help you follow through on
learning words.

Note though that the words sorted by length at
http://www.esclub.gr/games/wordox/3.html
is even handier for that kind of research.

MKSoft

Feb 17, 2007, 11:45:04 PM2/17/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club

FlyingJoe

Apr 8, 2007, 11:49:34 AM4/8/07
to WordWiggle Fan Club
Just a correction to my earlier post of vowelless words. Since
Michael has found the complete list, here they are:

brr, brrr, crwth, crwths, cwm, cwms, hm, hmm, mm, nth, pfft, pht,
phpht, psst, sh, shh, tsk, tsks, tsktsk, tsktsks