text coverage

alas...@gmail.com

May 5, 2022, 9:52:48 AM5/5/22
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Mike,
recently I created a list of keywords from a corpus and would like to check the list coverage in the same corpus. Is there a way I can calculate coverage using wordsmith tools?
best
Abdullah

Mike Scott

May 5, 2022, 9:58:48 AM5/5/22
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Abdullah

Could you please explain what you mean by coverage?

Cheers -- MIke

alas...@gmail.com

May 5, 2022, 5:46:39 PM5/5/22
to WordSmith Tools
the percent coverage of words in the study corpus accounted for by the words in the list

Mike Scott

May 6, 2022, 2:44:14 AM5/6/22
to WordSmith Tools
There are two meanings of "words": types and tokens.
To determine a key word list's type-coverage you'd use the number of (positive) kws identified and compute that as a percentage of the total types in the study word list.
For token-coverage you'd need to sum the frequencies and compute that as a percentage of the token count of the study word list. It'd be very easy to compute. And is not computed in WS1.0 to 8.0 so far. I will do so in the new 8.0 64bit version, and insert the two results in the Notes created as one makes a kw list.
Hope that helps you Abdullah,

Cheers -- Mike

alas...@gmail.com

May 8, 2022, 1:40:52 PM5/8/22
to WordSmith Tools
Thanks Mike
I am fully aware of the type/token distinction but wondered if coverage could be calculated as part of kw functionality in WS, which, as you said, need to be manually computed till the new update is released. In a similar way, It will be great if effect-size metrices are added as part of KW statistical package ( am using an old version of WS, so excuse me if that is already included).

Best

Mike Scott

May 8, 2022, 2:40:58 PM5/8/22
to WordSmith Tools
HI Abdullah

Effect size-- this has been in WS for ages. https://lexically.net/downloads/version_64_8/HTML/p_value.html refers to BIC scores and the BIC score is the default measure in WS8.

Email me for a temporary registration so you can try these things out.

Cheers -- Mike

alas...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 3:10:29 PM5/9/22
to WordSmith Tools