Source text

darb...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2020, 1:07:11 AM8/24/20
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Mike,

Is there a way to export the Source Text tab in a concordance file (to Word and/or Excel) in such a way that the formatting remains? I know I've done this before (perhaps by printing to PDF and then copying and pasting?), but nothing seems to work now. Copying and pasting gives me unformatted text only.
Essentially I need to be able copy the entire text with the concordance 'hits' highlighted as they are in the Source Text tab. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Darby

Mike Scott

Aug 24, 2020, 3:01:34 AM8/24/20
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Darby

Is there a way to export the Source Text tab in a concordance file (to Word and/or Excel) in such a way that the formatting remains? I know I've done this before (perhaps by printing to PDF and then copying and pasting?), but nothing seems to work now. Copying and pasting gives me unformatted text only.

I don't think this facility has been in WordSmith before, but it is a great idea. I will work on it and post here when it's ready. For now all I can think of it coping the window as an image. (Alt/PrntSc) and pasting into Word but that would be unsatisfactory in various ways.

Cheers -- Mike

darb...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2020, 3:13:20 AM8/24/20
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've found a workaround whereby I print to PDF and then convert the PDF to Word using an online conversion tool. However this is pretty time-consuming, and I'm dealing with several hundred texts, so something a bit more straightforward would be a welcome addition.

Cheers,
Darby

Mike Scott

Aug 24, 2020, 3:33:04 AM8/24/20
to WordSmith Tools
OK I see. There is a Print facility if you right-click, that doesn't give you it in Word or Excel but it does print in Rich Text format (you're getting it printed as PDF file in your printer settings, I think). It would be simple I think for me to make it save as .RTF, which Word will read. There is a right-click Save option but not working at present it seems. Leave it with me.
Cheers-- Mike

Mike Scott

Aug 31, 2020, 9:48:26 AM8/31/20
to WordSmith Tools
I think it is fixed now in today's build, Darby.
Cheers -- MIke

darb...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2020, 8:20:24 PM8/31/20
to WordSmith Tools
Yes - Works perfectly. I should have contacted you months ago.
Thanks Mike.

Darby

darb...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2021, 12:36:57 AM1/4/21
to WordSmith Tools
Hi Mike,

I'm trying to use this feature again (save Source Text tab as .rtf), but keep getting the following:

I imagine it's user error, but I'm not sure what I'm doing differently to when it was working back in August.

I'm using the latest build of WS8, and I've tried reinstalling.

Many thanks,
Darby

darb...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2021, 12:40:13 AM1/4/21
to WordSmith Tools
That image doesn't seem to be working. The error code is:

Access violation at address 00504412 in module 'concord8.exe'. Write of address 000001D9.

Darby

Mike Scott

Jan 4, 2021, 4:09:41 AM1/4/21
to WordSmith Tools
The distraction is that the main menu in Concord doesn't adapt as it should when showing the source text.

What you need do with the source text on screen, is right-click (which gives you a popup menu) and choose Save. That is a RTF save and once saved Word opens up.

Cheers -- Mike

darb...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2021, 6:39:28 AM1/4/21
to WordSmith Tools
I knew I must be missing something obvious. Thank you.

Darby