Words with apostrophes getting split

Andy Lustig

Mar 16, 2021, 2:30:14 PM3/16/21
to WordSmith Tools
Hi,

I'm trying to generate a keyword list.  However, some words with apostrophes seem to be getting split for for example, 'T' is being identified as a keyword when in fact it appears at the end of don't, can't, won't etc.  I tried adding apostrophe to characters within word iin language settings but that doesn't seem to help.  Any advice?

Thanks,
Andy

Mike Scott

Mar 16, 2021, 5:11:35 PM3/16/21
to WordSmith Tools
HI Andy
Your apostrophes are probably curly ones. Some software uses apostrophes which curl slightly (like a comma does) to look better than straight vertical marks. They have a quite different code. If your characters within word include one but not the other, you get symptoms like don't becoming DON and T. The WS Text Converter can convert curly apostrophes for you.

Cheers -- Mike

Andy Lustig

Mar 17, 2021, 3:57:55 PM3/17/21
to WordSmith Tools
Thanks so much for the response!  I will give it a shot.

Thanks,
Andy