[mas gusto ko na ang mga kalokohang batas na ganito na hindi na pinapansin ng tao kaysa magagandang batas na hindi naman iniimplement ng gubyerno...]
LONDON (AFP) - Queen
's speech in the British parliament Tuesday may have been
routine but at least nobody got bored to death. That would have been against the
Dying in parliament is an offence and is also by far the most absurd law in
Britain, according to a survey of nearly 4,000 people by a television channel
showing a legal drama series.
And though the lords were clad in their red and white ermine cloaks and
ambassadors from around the world wore colourful national costumes, at least
nobody turned up in a suit of armour. Illegal.
Other rules deemed utterly stupid included one that permits a pregnant woman
to urinate in a policeman's hat and murdering bow-and-arrow-carrying Scotsmen
within the city walls of York, northern England.
A law stating that in Liverpool
only a clerk in a tropical fish
is allowed to be publicly topless, was also ridiculous, said a poll
of 3,931 people for UKTV Gold television out Tuesday.
Nearly half of those surveyed admitted to breaking the ban on eating mince
pies on Christmas
, which dates back to the 17th century and was originally designed to
outlaw gluttony during the rule of the Puritan Oliver Crowmell.
The laws and other regulations were culled from published research into
ancient legislation that has never been repealed although subsequent statutes
have rendered them obsolete.
Respondents were given a shortlist and asked to vote.
Most ridiculous British law:
1. It is illegal to die in the Houses
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British
monarch upside-down (seven percent)
3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in
a tropical fish store (six percent)
4. Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day (five percent)
5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your
toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)
6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including
in a policeman's helmet (four percent)
7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically
becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen (3.5 percent)
8. It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to
know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (three
9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour (three
10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city
, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (two