Installing new WP installation to use with multi-site subdirector

Sam Thacker

Jan 1, 2017, 8:14:24 PM1/1/17
to WordPress Austin
I need to set up a WP multi-site using sub-directory structure.

I have a virgin hosting plan and no other installations of WP running on it, but when I use the 5 minute WP installation I can't get the multi-site to allow me to set up subdirectories.

I can get it to allow me to use subdomains, but that isn't what I want.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled WP several times with the same end result each time.

The error I get is that it is not a new WP installation and therefore is not eligible for multi-site with sub-directory option.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sam Thacker

Bobbie Wilson

Jan 1, 2017, 8:21:15 PM1/1/17
to WordPress Austin
Hi Sam,

If you've installed and reinstalled a few times, you will have database tables left. You'll need to delete all of them. Also delete the .htaccess file in the root directory of your site.

Are you installing this manually or running a host script to do it?

Once you have your db tables removed, follow this tutorial and you should be good to go:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-and-setup-wordpress-multisite-network/

Bobbie

Sam Thacker

Jan 14, 2017, 8:39:01 PM1/14/17
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Bobbie. I will try all you suggestions.

Sam Thacker

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 7:14 PM Sam Thacker <thas...@gmail.com> wrote:
I need to set up a WP multi-site using sub-directory structure.

I have a virgin hosting plan and no other installations of WP running on it, but when I use the 5 minute WP installation I can't get the multi-site to allow me to set up subdirectories.

I can get it to allow me to use subdomains, but that isn't what I want.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled WP several times with the same end result each time.

The error I get is that it is not a new WP installation and therefore is not eligible for multi-site with sub-directory option.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sam Thacker

Our meeting information is available at http://www.meetup.com/austinwordpress/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WordPress Austin" group.

Our meeting information is available at http://www.meetup.com/austinwordpress/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "WordPress Austin" group.