Wordpress & WCAG 2.0 Compliance

Art Thompson, Jr.

May 10, 2017, 12:09:34 PM5/10/17
to wordpress-austin
Hi WPers,

Anyone have input on how to achieve WCAG 2.0 compliance in a WP theme? I've seen a few plugins, but they mostly seem like a panacea that's hard to believe will actually cut the mustard. Anyone dealt with or dealing with this now? I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Art Thompson, Jr
Logical Things, Inc

Art Thompson, Jr.

May 10, 2017, 1:30:16 PM5/10/17
to Avi Kodre, wordpress-austin
Thanks, Avi!

Just now checking these resources out. I've installed the Google Accessibility Dev Tools extension and the Accessibility Bookmarklets, which are super helpful.

I did find this (outdated) blog post about accessibility efforts within Genesis:

This is a great starting point for Genesis folks, but child theme developers still seem to have a lot of extra work ahead to make things truly WCAG 2.0 compliant.

Cheers,

Art Thompson, Jr
Logical Things, Inc

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Avi Kodre <avi....@gmail.com> wrote:
I do not think/believe that there is any plugin which would handle it on it's own. This is something which would need to be validated and done manually. Like we use HTML Validator, there is WCAG validator too. Please check it here for more details: https://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/

Let me know if you need any help there.

Regards,
--
Avi

Karen Kreps

May 10, 2017, 1:45:24 PM5/10/17
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
Art,

Avi summed it up well. Also, there are some great organizations in town that focus on supporting web developers with accessibility.

Their AccessU is about to happen. Being  freelance, I’ve volunteered for it twice.

KK

Karen Kreps
Net Ingenuity

Increase your net worth with ingenuity. Net Ingenuity.

www.netingenuity.com

Ronnie Burt

May 10, 2017, 2:16:39 PM5/10/17
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com, Avi Kodre
Hi Art,

I've tried a ton of the checkers and validators out there. My current favorite is https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/siteimprove-accessibility/efcfolpjihicnikpmhnmphjhhpiclljc?hl=en-US which is new from Siteimprove.

It sounds like you are using a Genesis child theme, which I can't really speak to. But in case it helps, wp.org does have a growing number of "accessibility-ready" free themes which have been approved by a review team: https://wordpress.org/themes/tags/accessibility-ready/. These can make great starting points for child themes too, but I don't think any are a full traditional framework like Genesis. Much of accessibility comes down to content and not the theme too, so ensuring images/videos/PDFs all have alternative text, transcripts, captions, etc. is key too.

I've helped a few education-based customers through the formal federal government complaint and review process, and showing good faith attempts to make your site as accessible as possible seems to be essential. So when you can point to things like using the WP Accessibility plugin and an 'accessibility-ready' approved theme, you are halfway there. Tabbed navigation, a skip nav link, and obvious image and video issues seem to be the things most people are "dinged" for in what I've seen.

http://knowbility.org/ is a local non-profit that has resources, courses, and services that may be useful to you and others in the group as well :)

Thanks!

Ronnie Burt
General Manager, Education & Hosting Services
Incsub, LLC

Timezone: Austin, TX (UTC/GMT -6 hours)
Twitter: @ronnieburt

Art Thompson, Jr.

May 10, 2017, 2:18:46 PM5/10/17
to wordpress-austin
Thanks, Karen. I know of Knowbility from their AccessU event. I also didn't realize (and some of you may not have either) that the Web Developer Chrome extension has a built-in Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool that quickly reports on some obvious pitfalls.

Cheers,

Art Thompson, Jr
Logical Things, Inc

Art,

Our meeting information is available at http://www.meetup.com/austinwordpress/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WordPress Austin" group.

Our meeting information is available at http://www.meetup.com/austinwordpress/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WordPress Austin" group.

Art Thompson, Jr.

May 10, 2017, 2:46:21 PM5/10/17
to wordpress-austin, bur...@gmail.com
Thanks, Ronnie. This Siteimprove extension is much more slick than the rest. I like how you can get into or avoid the minutiae by toggling through different filters.

I know WP core has made great strides towards true accessibility, but there appears to be a ways to go still. I'm currently poking through StudioPress' docs & forums to see where they are specifically.

Cheers,

Art Thompson, Jr
Logical Things, Inc