crave genesis theme

deanna

Jun 26, 2017, 11:25:29 PM6/26/17
to WordPress Austin
Hi!  I need help adding my 1000 x 288 header to the Crave Genesis Theme at www.on-this-day-blog.com.  I assume it has to be done via the stylesheet since there is no upload header option.

Thanks in advance!,
Deanna M.

Dan Poynor

Jun 27, 2017, 1:30:24 AM6/27/17
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
Hey Deanna,

You might want to check with the Crave theme author and see what she would charge for customizing. She might have some details/documentation on how to customize also that would be helpful:

Without access or knowing much about that themes structure... to do it yourself I'd initially guess you want to edit the class in the style.css file for:
.header-full-width .title-area, .header-full-width .site-title, .header-full-width .site-title a

When I right-click on the header in Chrome and select Inspect Element, I can select the header.site-header element and see it already has "width: 1000px" declared, so maybe just adding "height: 288px" then adding display: none for the .site-title and .site-description elements in style.css would be a start (to create an empty header at the right size). Then try adding your background image with a statement such as background-image: /wp-content/uploads/image.jpg should work (path to your image will vary). Some sites change header image based on which page is shown, so additional edits might be needed (salt to taste).

I'm not intimate with that theme or Genesis specifically and can't test right off, but those would be a couple suggestions from me to consider trying

Cheers,
DAN

deanna

Jun 27, 2017, 6:50:26 PM6/27/17
to WordPress Austin, danp...@gmail.com
Dan,
      Hi!  Thanks for your reply.  I visited the author's social network profiles and it does not look like she is around anymore.  I have attached the stylesheet in the hopes you can show me what to put where since I got lost after adding height: 288px. :O  My header's URL is http://www.on-this-day-blog.com/images/on_this_day_header.png.

Thanks again!,
Deanna M.
style.css

Haylie McCort

Jun 27, 2017, 9:07:39 PM6/27/17
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com, dea...@j-n-skids.com
Hi Deanna

Crave is built on the Genesis framework.  Unfortunately, Crave is an older theme, and is no longer in the StudioPress third-party themes area, and if Pixelista has currently gone fishing, then it will be tough to get customization support for it.

I general, Genesis 2.0 is not designed to take old-school full width header images that include the logo design like your artwork.  You may be able to stuff a 2/3 size one in there and then not use the header widget area to the right, but it may be tricky to get it to be properly responsive and/or correct in all browsers.
In Genesis, you upload your header logo through the CUSTOMIZER -- go to Appearance >> Customize  and select Header Image.  Typically the theme will tell you the maximum recommended size for the logo usually ~ max-width 300px.

Altering the CSS for the site-title, etc.  may allow you to stuff in a longer image -- but remember that by default Genesis will not display the site description once you upload a Header Image (which really should be named Logo Image!).

If you must have that full width header image, you might try Lifestyle Pro  https://studiopress.com/themes/lifestyle/  or  Beautiful Pro https://studiopress.com/themes/beautiful/ and put that image under the top text logo and menu area in the widget below the header -- that would give you a theme that stays correct on all browsers and correctly mobile-responsive without major CSS surgery.

Hope that helps!
Haylie

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM, deanna <dea...@j-n-skids.com> wrote:

Haylie K. McCort
Founder/CEO
DotcomCowgirl Media
Professional, Fast, Affordable Online Marketing Solutions for Small Business

connect with me at linkedin.com/in/dotcomcowgirl