Return a list of suggested words for a word that doesn't exist?

Simon Butler

Jul 1, 2022, 5:47:16 AM7/1/22
to Wordnik API
Hey,

Is there a method for the API to return a list of suggested words (or "did you mean words") for a word that doesn't exist?

For example, say the word "ccat" is submitted to the API, this will return a 404. Is there another API method where "ccat" can be submitted and a list suggestions (eg. "cat") will be returned?.

If not, is there are suggested/recommended method of handling this situation?

Cheers, Simon.

Erin McKean

Jul 12, 2022, 12:05:25 PM7/12/22
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon!

I am so sorry to take so long to reply to this! We don't currently have this API method. At one point we had a 'canonical form' parameter that would try to return 'cat' for words like 'ccat', but we haven't yet been able to reinstate it. It's on the road map!

I'll look into what it would take to make that data a standalone API, it's a good idea!

Thanks!

Erin