randomWords API

Valerijs Boguckis

Nov 20, 2019, 10:39:32 AM11/20/19
to Wordnik API
Could you please help me figure out if random words are working or I am doing something wrong. Let's say I just want to return random verbs. I do not why but I am getting back words with mixed parts of speech.

Here is m reguest:

https://api.wordnik.com/v4/words.json/randomWords?api_key=<API_KEY>&limit=10&minCorpusCount=50000&excludePartOfSpeech=noun,adjective,adverb,interjection,pronoun,preposition,abbreviation,affix,article,auxiliary-verb,conjunction,definite-article,family-name,given-name,idiom,imperative,noun-plural,noun-singular,past-participle,phrasal-verb,proper-noun,proper-noun-plural,proper-noun-plural,suffix,verb-intransitive,verb-transitive&includePartOfSpeech=verb

Response example:

{ id: 0, word: 'purpose' },
  { id: 0, word: 'instruction' },
  { id: 0, word: 'British' },
  { id: 0, word: 'Sandy' },
  { id: 0, word: 'automated' },
  { id: 0, word: 'orbit' },
  { id: 0, word: 'interim' },
  { id: 0, word: 'swift' },
  { id: 0, word: 'declaring' },
  { id: 0, word: 'resource' }

English is not my native language, but words, like purpose, British or Sandy are definitely not verbs.
It is bug in API or I compose request wrongly?

Erin McKean

Nov 20, 2019, 10:49:32 AM11/20/19
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Thank you for your email! Unfortunately this call has a bug around the "exclude" parameter that we are working to fix. We are working on this now and I hope it will be fixed soon -- but we're a small nonprofit with limited engineering resources, so I can't give a firm date. :(

We like to send Wordnik stickers to people who send us helpful feedback; if you'd like some, just reply with your mailing address!

Again, I apologize for the hassle!

Yours,

Erin

Valerijs Boguckis

Nov 20, 2019, 11:36:59 AM11/20/19
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for a quick response.
For now will use another data set  for random english words.

With Regards,
Valerijs