reverseDictionary method not returning all words

Omayeli Arenyeka

May 22, 2018, 11:55:45 AM5/22/18
to Wordnik API
If you navigate to the Wordnik page for 'woman' you will see under the reverse Dictionary tab it says 3215 words. I'm only getting 490 words when I call the reverseDictionary method.

from wordnik import *
import json

apiKey = 'c0706d70c102054fb6a56bb8f070f1895ba309b3140771469'
client = swagger.ApiClient(apiKey, apiUrl)

wordsApi = WordsApi.WordsApi(client)

terms = ['woman', 'man', 'female', 'male', 'boy', 'girl']
dict = dict.fromkeys(terms)

for term in dict:
results = wordsApi.reverseDictionary(term,  includePartOfSpeech='noun').results
words = {}
for result in results:
words[result.word] = result.text
dict[term] = words

for term in dict:
print term
print len(dict[term])
with open('words/' + term + '.txt', 'w') as outfile:
    json.dump(dict[term], outfile)

Erin McKean

May 22, 2018, 2:06:09 PM5/22/18
to Wordnik API
Hi!

The Wordnik site has access to data that is not available through the API. We hope to make this data available to the API at some point.

Also, unfortunately, because you posted your API key publicly, we have to disable it. You can apply for a new key here: developer.wordnik.com.

Yours,

Erin

Omayeli Arenyeka

May 22, 2018, 2:14:09 PM5/22/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Is there information somewhere about what data is fully available?

Erin McKean

May 22, 2018, 2:15:54 PM5/22/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, no -- we'll try to pull this together as we update our
documentation!

Erin
>> email to wordnik-api...@googlegroups.com.

Omayeli Arenyeka

May 22, 2018, 2:25:19 PM5/22/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
okay, thank you!

Omayeli Arenyeka

May 22, 2018, 3:49:45 PM5/22/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
sorry one more q: is there currently any way to get this data other than from the api?

Erin McKean

May 22, 2018, 4:41:45 PM5/22/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, no -- our terms of use for the Wordnik site disallow
scraping. :(

If you can share more about your use case, I can make recommendations
of static datasets that might help!

Yours,

Erin

>>> --

Omayeli Arenyeka

May 23, 2018, 12:28:57 PM5/23/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
yea of course! I'm trying to create a list of all the gender specific words (both official and "unofficial")