API not available for commercial purposes anymore?

xav...@elsanow.io

Apr 26, 2018, 10:59:13 AM4/26/18
to Wordnik API
Hi,
I read in very old posts here that the API was available for both commercial and non-commercial purposes, but now I see in the Terms page that it is only available for non-commercial usage: "(c) Use the Wordnik API for commercial uses (i.e., charging end users for access to or selling the Wordnik Data to third parties as a separate service from the authorized applications You create)"
Has this changed since the posts?
What should I do if I want to use it commercially (i.e. within an app that charges users in some way)?

Thanks!

Erin McKean

Apr 26, 2018, 11:10:59 AM4/26/18
to Wordnik API
Thanks Xavier!

Unfortunately, our terms of service are confusing. We will be updating them in a few weeks to make them clearer, but in the meantime, here's what this is SUPPOSED to mean:

You can use the Wordnik API for commercial apps EXCEPT apps that are a clone of our API.

In other words, you can't use the Wordnik API to make your own API service using our data, or to resell our data outside of the context of an application (such as creating a database list of all the words that begin with the letter A and selling that dataset).

I hope this is clearer!

Yours,

Erin
---------------------
Erin McKean
Wordnik
@emckean/@wordnik/@wordnikapi
the Wordnik mission: every English word, available to everyone, everywhere

PS Help support Wordnik by adopting your favorite word today! https://www.wordnik.com/adoptaword

Xavier Anguera

Apr 26, 2018, 12:35:48 PM4/26/18
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
I see, thanks a lot for the clarification!

Xavier Anguera
Co-founder and CTO
ELSA Corp.