Planning yet another Twitter writing bot, asking for advice

Dustin Driver

Feb 11, 2020, 4:30:03 PM2/11/20
to Wordnik API
Hello!

I'm building a random Fiction bot for Twitter with Python. I have a few ideas of how it could work, but I lack the experience and expertise to pick the proper path.

It would be a simple Mad Libs style bot, swapping out nouns, verbs, or adjectives for random words. I have two different approaches in mind:

1. Compose a bunch of Mad Libs with blank spaces and have a Python app pull words from the Wordnik API, then post to Twitter
2. Have the Python app search my personal Twitter feed for tweets with the tag #vss365, analyze and sort the words in those tweets using the Wordnik API, then swap words with random words based on a formula, then post to Twitter.

The first one seems much easier to set up, but will take a ton of writing work initially. Option 2 would automate the writing, but would require quite an involved Python app.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Erin McKean

Feb 22, 2020, 8:13:22 PM2/22/20
to wordn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dustin!

I am so sorry to take so long to reply to this!

I think that the Mad Libs idea is probably easier; I've written a similar bot using the Tracery library (ironically, without using the Wordnik API ...) and the source code for that is here: https://github.com/emckean/chronomoteuse

Good luck with your project!

Yours,

Erin