WCMTL needs a en->fr translator for the website

Jeremy Clarke

Jul 2, 2010, 6:41:49 PM7/2/10
to wordc...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

http://wordcampmontreal.org/

I've been working like crazy to get the website and all its content updated for 2010. It now has a new look and all the content and pages have been updated. The application forms for sponsorship, speaking and volunteering are all set up and working, so you can use them if you are interested in participating in those ways.

http://wordcampmontreal.org/become-a-speaker/
http://wordcampmontreal.org/sponsors/
http://wordcampmontreal.org/volunteer/

That said the french versions of each post are not up to date. They are either non-existent in some cases or radically out of date in others. My French writing is balls so we need some help if anyone can provide it. The process would be to just look through each page on the site and create/update the french version below. Once you say you want to help I'll create an account for you on the site so you can log in and change the text.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out. I'm hoping WCMTL can be as bilingual as possible and having a website with high-quality French information will help draw more francophone speakers and particpants.

If you like to promote things on Twitter now is a good time to point to the Speaker and Sponsor pages, we need to get both rolling. You can check the official twitter account for tweets if you like to RT instead of writing your own: http://twitter.com/wordcampmtl

 Tickets will be on sale next week so we'll do another set of announcements at that point hoping for people to specifically register.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org

Danielle Desjardins

Jul 2, 2010, 8:00:11 PM7/2/10
to wordc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm fully bilingual, have a background in translation and am a very good writer, so I can help translating and fixing the French text.

I think it's more than important that WCMTL is entirely bilingual. If you tell me how to proceed, I'll begin as soon as possible.

Danielle Desjardins
--
This email is from the WordCamp Montreal Planning Google Group

Jeremy Clarke

Jul 2, 2010, 8:33:24 PM7/2/10
to wordc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Danielle Desjardins <desjardin...@videotron.ca> wrote:
I'm fully bilingual, have a background in translation and am a very good writer, so I can help translating and fixing the French text.

I think it's more than important that WCMTL is entirely bilingual. If you tell me how to proceed, I'll begin as soon as possible.

Hi Danielle, thanks so much for stepping up!

I set up an account for you and your login should be emailed to you.

The translation system is a very simple hack. Each page starts with a "Français à suivre" link that leads to #fr, which is an id added to a h2 later in the document (i.e. <h2 id="fr">). This way pages have a french version entirely contained in the main post.

On any page that already has a french section at the bottom you can just edit the text to match the english above, if it has no french then you can copy the special link and heading from another post and paste it into the new page.

Please reply to me off-list if you have any other questions and I'll answer ASAP. Thanks!

jer

Patrick Do Trong

Jul 3, 2010, 11:11:50 AM7/3/10
to wordc...@googlegroups.com

I’d like to take up the task of translating the content. You can read me at iampatdotcom.com.

Pat

This email is from the WordCamp Montreal Planning Google Group

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4612 (20091116) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4612 (20091116) __________

http://www.eset.com

Jeremy Clarke

Jul 5, 2010, 10:32:32 AM7/5/10
to wordc...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Patrick Do Trong <pdot...@iampatdotcom.com> wrote:

I’d like to take up the task of translating the content. You can read me at iampatdotcom.com.

Hey Patrick, I just added an account for you that should mailed to you. Please follow the instructions I gave to Danielle, I don't think she's changed much yet so you should be able to start anywhere. The about, speaker, volunteer and schedule pages are the priorities.

Thanks!

jer