Possible dates

Andre

Apr 15, 2008, 3:19:36 PM4/15/08
to WordCampBirmingham
Thanks to all of you who've signed up to help organize this event.

The first thing we've got to do is figure out the date for the event.
It seems as though an event in mid-late August sounds like it would be
best. The only weekend I'd probably not look at in August would be the
last one (Aug. 29-31) and it's for selfish reasons (my birthday's the
Friday and it may conflict with an event being held by The Terminal).

Any votes or suggestions?

Jeremy Flint

Apr 15, 2008, 3:49:35 PM4/15/08
to WordCampBirmingham
How about August 15? Just plan for the middle of the month?

Jeremy Flint

Apr 15, 2008, 3:49:55 PM4/15/08
to WordCampBirmingham
er, that would be August 16. The 15th is a Friday.

Andre

Apr 15, 2008, 5:29:06 PM4/15/08
to WordCampBirmingham
That would be the 15 & 16. It would be a two-day event (or 16 & 17)

Wade Kwon

Apr 15, 2008, 5:32:37 PM4/15/08
to wordcampb...@googlegroups.com

From a Chamber of Commerce perspective ... While the event would be
indoors, August is an awfully hot/humid month to have it. I don't
mind, but I'd hate for our out-of-towners to keel over. Would love to
show off the city in September or October, when it's a tad cooler.
We'd be up against football, but I somehow don't think that'll be big
problem among the WP crowd.

Wade

--
Wade Kwon.com | wadekwon.com | a Southern storyteller at work
Wade on Birmingham | wadeonbirmingham.com | Birmingham and Alabama

Andre Natta

Apr 15, 2008, 5:41:28 PM4/15/08
to wordcampb...@googlegroups.com
The Chamber is already aware of the possibility of the event and seems to like the August date because of the "football" question and the fact that so many other events take place in September and October that it could become difficult to secure a location.
--
Support Birmingham's hub!
http://bhamterminal.com/support/

Andre Natta, CMSM
The Terminal | Birmingham's hub | http://bhamterminal.com
Dre's Ramblings | Musings on The Magic City | http://dresramblings.com
acn...@gmail.com
an...@bhamterminal.com
205.276.6585

Andre Natta

Apr 15, 2008, 5:42:05 PM4/15/08
to wordcampb...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, and we'd be too close to Blog World Expo

Wade Kwon

Apr 15, 2008, 6:21:22 PM4/15/08
to wordcampb...@googlegroups.com
The "Chamber of Commerce perspective" was a joke on my part. I don't
actually care if the Chamber thinks August or Groundhog Day 2025 is a
better date -- unless the Chamber is planning on kicking in a sizable
sponsor donation.

We want as many people as possible to attend, and we want to show
Birmingham in the best possible light. Given that the normal average
high in August is 91 degrees, please consider climate and comfort as
factors that will affect sign-up and participation.

Again, I'm not sure how football would actually affect Wordcamp
Birmingham. The only game I'm aware of at Legion is the Magic City
Classic on Oct. 25.

Excluding that weekend and Blogworld weekend, that still leaves:

Sept. 6-7
Sept. 13-14
Sept. 27-28
Oct. 4-5
Oct. 11-12
Oct. 18-19

And yes, there's Sidewalk, and Kentuck, and Artwalk, and other
events, but I believe those enhance the free-time experience, without
collision over hotel rooms, bars, etc.

Let's have a planning lunch or coffee, and we can hash out tentative
dates, sponsors, duties, etc. in person. Email is fun, but face to
face is more efficient at this stage.

Wade

Dan Willson

Apr 15, 2008, 8:31:54 PM4/15/08
to WordCampBirmingham
I wanna play if we're having lunch/coffee/whatever to plan! Seriously,
I'm thinking about this like a sysadmin ... and I'm thinking that the
best learning/creative/collaborative opportunities present themselves
when people break stuff. ;-) Do these events normally have a "sandbox
server" where everyone can play/work/learn?

Dan
> > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Wade Kwon <wadek...@earthlink.net>
> > For more information please visithttp://www.messagelabs.com/email
>
> > --
> > Support Birmingham's hub!
> >http://bhamterminal.com/support/
>
> > Andre Natta, CMSM
> > The Terminal | Birmingham's hub |http://bhamterminal.com
> > Dre's Ramblings | Musings on The Magic City |http://dresramblings.com
> > acna...@gmail.com

Andre

Apr 18, 2008, 5:26:53 PM4/18/08
to WordCampBirmingham
Don't know if folks have seen the latest post on The Terminal, but
after talking with Ike and Scott today during a Twitterati lunch at
the Fox and Hound, it made sense to decide to hold the WordCamp the
same weekend as SxDS (September 26- 28):

http://bhamterminal.com/blog/2008/04/18/sxds-its-on/

It allows us to leverage several things at once and would provide us
the best opportunity to draw a very large crowd (and I don't think
we're competing with too much other stuff out there).

I'd like to organize a planning meeting for us WordCampers sometime
late next week... I'm a little on the broke side right now so coffee
would be the best option for me.

Let me know what you think about when a good time would be (Thursday,
Friday or Saturday)...

Cheers!

--
Support Birmingham's hub!
http://bhamterminal.com/support/

Andre Natta, CMSM
The Terminal | Birmingham's hub |http://bhamterminal.com
Dre's Ramblings | Musings on The Magic City |http://dresramblings.com
acn...@gmail.com
an...@bhamterminal.com
205.276.6585

Wade Kwon

Apr 18, 2008, 5:58:09 PM4/18/08
to wordcampb...@googlegroups.com

I wish we had had a wider discussion on possible dates.

I really love attending Sidewalk, and because it's the 10th edition
this fall, that makes it special to me.

Seeing as I can't be in two places at once, even in the same town, it
looks like I'll have to pick the film fest over Wordcamp / South by
Deep South.

Sorry.

In the future, I hope all of us will have more opportunities to weigh
in on all aspects of the event before key decisions like this are
locked in.

Wade

Andre

Apr 18, 2008, 6:36:44 PM4/18/08
to WordCampBirmingham
I wish all of us would too, and I hope that you will still be involved
in future meetings about the event, Wade.

The reason behind agreeing to do it on those dates is partially
because of them being included in a list posted earlier in this
thread, in addition to the fact that the folks at SxDS had already
spoken to people that would have been potential speakers for WordCamp,
meaning that we would have been asking them to attend twice in a two-
month period to the same town to speak about the same thing.

We did have other members of the Google Group present at lunch and
they agreed that it would be prudent to combine forces and not be
duplicative (something people in this town are not normally good at -
LOL).

I do hope that everyone would chime in on a possible date for a
meeting so that others do not feel as though they are not being heard
on important issues involving the planning of an unconference that
would be a great thing for the technology committee in Birmingham and
general and WordPress users in particular RE: the WordCamp track.