UI Message: A Winter Storm is Approaching- Are You Prepared?

Wooster Square Watch

Jan 28, 2022, 5:06:44 PM1/28/22
to Wooster Square Google Group
Hello again,

Here are helpful safety tips from UI. If you sign up for UI Alerts, you will hear from them directly or download their AP.

Stay safe and warm,

Sarah

Sarah B. Greenblatt
Wooster Square Watch

City of New Haven COVID-19 Call Line - 203.946.4949
Non-Emergency Police Service - 203.946.6316
New Haven Police District Manager Lt. Brendan Borer - bbo...@newhavenct.gov

Begin forwarded message:

From: UI Customer Service <United.Il...@r2.dotdigital-email.com>
Date: January 28, 2022 at 4:59:45 PM EST

Subject: A Winter Storm is Approaching- Are You Prepared?

Good afternoon,

A winter storm is approaching our communities and will bring heavy snow and strong winds beginning overnight tonight and through the day tomorrow. We urge you to take the forecast seriously and begin preparing like we have. We have activated our Storm Team who have been monitoring the forecast all week and are prepared to respond to outages, should they occur. In addition, our field crews have been mobilized and additional crews are pre-positioned and ready to restore power safely and quickly if needed.

With 14-24 inches of snow expected with strong winds, this storm has the potential to cause damage to trees and utility services. We’re asking you to stay home and off the roads, for your safety and the safety of our crews working in the storm.

Please get prepared now with our storm preparedness information, sign up for text message alerts, download the UI mobile app and to follow us on social media. A few additional tips to consider:

Before a Storm

  • Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text “REG” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI) to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, visit uinet.com for additional alert options.
  • Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
  • Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
  • Fuel vehicles and fill spare fuel tanks for generators.

Safety Tips

  • Stay far away from downed wires and anything that may be in contact with them. Report downed wires and other electrical hazards to UI at 800-722-5584.
  • If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside, call 911 and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, avoid making contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Jump clear of the vehicle, land with your feet together, and hop away with both feet together, or shuffle away without lifting your feet. Don't run or stride.
  • Keep walkways and driveways clear and accessible while also keeping snow clear of your flue pipes and vents to prevent potential CO build-up.
  • If you suspect a natural gas leak, call the emergency number list on your gas company's website. (For Southern Connecticut Gas, call 800.513.8898; for Connecticut Natural Gas, call 866.924.5325).

Generators

  • Do not use a generator that plugs into your home’s electrical system unless it is connected via a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician. Improperly connected generators can back-feed electricity into the outside grid and pose a danger to the public and to crews working to restore service.
  • Carefully read and observe the instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
  • Properly ground all portable generators.
  • Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
  • Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.

Report an Outage

  • To report an outage, visit uinet.com or call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
  • Report outages using the company’s new mobile app, available from the Apple Store and Google Play.
  • Report outages via UI’s mobile alerts system: text “OUT” to 839-884(TEXT-UI). Registration is required.

Additional storm readiness and safety information

Storm relief resources can be found by calling Connecticut’s InfoLine at 2-1-1, or by visiting 211ct.org

If your power is interrupted go to UI’s Outage Central. Report outages and view estimated restoration times and outage maps at Outage Central from your computer or smart phone.

How we restore power: Our first priority is your safety. In the case of a large interruption, we first address safety issues and repair the main facilities (transmission lines, substations) that bring electricity to your neighborhood. Learn more

If someone in your household uses electrically powered life-sustaining equipment have a plan in case of loss in service, and call 800.722.5584 to register in advance

to ensure the company is aware of their

needs.

To report a life-threatening electricity emergency, call us at 800.722.5584 or call 911To report a natural gas emergency or if you smell  a natural gas odor, call your natural gas company or 911.

Please do not reply to this message, as this email inbox is not monitored.

                                             To reach us, please visit our contact us page.

100 Marsh Hill Rd., Orange , CT 06477