Fwd: A parking ban will go into effect tonight at 10 PM.

Wooster Square Watch

Jan 28, 2022, 3:07:25 PM1/28/22
to Wooster Square Google Group
Dear Neighbors,

I am forwarding Alder Cupo’s thorough Alert about the 12+ inches of snow we are expecting this weekend. A parking ban goes into effect at 10pm this evening.

Please review where off street parking is available and note that you may only park on the even side of the street in our neighborhood - this means that on streets where even-side parking is not available, you may not keep your cars on the odd side of the street. This is very important so public works can plow out narrow streets effectively.

As I hear updates, I will share them. Stay safe and warm.

❄️☃️❄️

Sarah

Sarah B. Greenblatt
Wooster Square Watch

City of New Haven COVID-19 Call Line - 203.946.4949
Non-Emergency Police Service - 203.946.6316
New Haven Police District Manager Lt. Brendan Borer - bbo...@newhavenct.gov

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Alder Ellen Cupo, Ward 8" <Wa...@newhavenct.gov>
Date: January 28, 2022 at 1:37:13 PM EST
To: "Sarah B." <sarahbgr...@gmail.com>
Subject: A parking ban will go into effect tonight at 10 PM.

 No parking allowed on the odd side of the street. Off-street parking is available throughout the city.

Ward 8: It's time to move your car.

from Alder Ellen Cupo
Dear friends and neighbors,
We're preparing for a potentially serious storm with close to 12+ inches of snow. High winds with heavy snow will make driving nearly impossible and dangerous. For this reason, the City of New Haven will implement a citywide parking ban along with a stay home request (unless you are essential personnel or have to travel due to an emergency) that will go into effect tonight at 10 PM and will continue until further notice. Please do everything you can to move your car off the road and help your neighbors do the same.

I'll keep you informed as the storm progresses, but here are preliminary steps you can take to help during the storm:
  1. Move your car to any of the open lots and garages that are nearby.
  2. Follow the parking ban guidelines.
  3. Know what to expect in terms of plowing and clean-up.
If you are are experiencing homelessness and need shelter from the storm, or you know of folks who do, the Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen (266 State Street) will function as a refuge and warming center tonight.

The City is taking an all-hands-on-deck approach to this storm event with 50 snow plow trucks, a fully activated Emergency Operations Center, quick emergency response as needed, and continued storm monitoring and updates.

Please do your part by complying with the parking ban, staying home and off the roads. The possibility of downed branches, trees, wires, and power outages can occur. To report any snowstorm related concerns, please call the EOC at (203) 946-8221. If you do call in an issue, please let me know so that I can help follow up on the incident report.

I am wishing safety and warmth for everyone during this snowfall. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need assistance!

Do not park on the odd side of the street.

A parking ban will begin tonight at 10 PM. The ban is citywide, and includes the following areas:
  • Zone A (downtown): parking is banned on both sides of the street.
  • Zone B (citywide snow emergency routes): parking is banned on both sides of the street.
  • Zone C (our neighborhood): Do not park on the odd side of the street. On streets where even-side parking isn't available, this unfortunately means that on-street parking is not allowed during a declared snow emergency.
There is also no parking allowed within 25 feet of any intersection, fire hydrant, or bus stop. Please be mindful of these areas, as violations may results in ticketing and/or towing in order for streets to be cleared properly.

Here's a list of open lots and garages you can use.

The following Yale University lots are free for New Haven residents starting today at 5 PM.

Lots and garages closest to Ward 8:
  • Lot 99 – Corner of Prince and Lafayette Streets
Other available lots:
  • Amistad Garage – 10 Amistad Street
  • Lot 11 – 409 Prospect Street at the Divinity School
  • Lot 16 – 260 Whitney Avenue, entrance at Whitney and Humphrey Street
  • Lot 22 – 260 Whitney Avenue, entrance at Whitney and Humphrey Street
  • Lot 41 – 221 Whitney Avenue
  • Lot 47 – 280 Washington Avenue
  • Lot 78 – 74 Ashmun Street (corner of Ashmun Street and York Square Place, entrance on Ashmun Street)
  • Lot 81 – 297 Crown Street (corner of Crown and High Streets)
  • Lot 199 – 199 Whitney Avenue
  • 344 Winchester Lot
  • Science Park Garage – 276 Winchester Avenue, enter from Argyle Street. Park on floors 3, 4, and 5. Enter and exit via the same lane.
All New Haven Public School parking lots are available and free to New Haven residents. Schools in Ward 8 include:
  • Conte West Hills – 511 Chapel Street
  • John S. Martinez Sea and Sky STEM School – 100 James Street
  • High School in the Community – 175 Water Street
  • Metro Business Academy – 115 Water Street
There may be signage in some of these parking lots; please be mindful and park according to the signage.

The Temple StreetCrown Street, and Granite Square (at 690 State Street) parking lots are available to New Haven residents for $3 per day starting today at 5 PM.

Please be patient and keep your sidewalks clear.

We are expecting the snowstorm to begin after midnight tonight and last into the morning, the heaviest snowfall forecast for between 8 AM and 2 PM tomorrow. Snow accumulation could be more than a foot with near blizzard conditions.

I encourage you to sign up for New Haven Alerts from the city. This is the most effective way of staying up to date on the storm.

Please remember to clear snow and ice from your sidewalk and/or driveway within 24 hours of the storm's end. This is an important part of keeping each other safe! Remember: do not shovel or blow snow from your sidewalk and/or driveway into the street.
(Welcome to new subscribers! If you know of any neighbors who should be receiving these updates, feel free to send them this link to sign up.)

Alder Ellen Cupo, Ward 8

For 2022-23, I will serve on the Development Commission, and I am waiting on future committee assignments. I am also a proud member of the Project M.O.R.E. Reentry Welcome Center Advisory Board. My husband Ian and I have a 2-year-old named Hunter, and a dog named Pig. I'm excited to announce that I'm pregnant and in late-March, early-April we'll welcome a little sister for Hunter! I use she/her pronouns.

Feel free to email me at wa...@newhavenct.gov or cupo...@gmail.com. You can also reach me by phone at (203) 584-7071.
Alder Ellen Cupo, Ward 8 on Facebook
Follow @ELLECUPO on Twitter
Thanks for signing up for Alder Ellen Cupo's Ward 8 Newsletter. If you've moved out of the neighborhood, we'll miss you! But you can unsubscribe if you need to. Or, you can update your preferences.

Copyright © 2022 Alder Ellen Cupo, Ward 8, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you may have signed up with Alder Ellen Cupo on Election Day, or through a DWSCMT or Fair Haven Community Management Team Meeting. It is also possible you were signed up upon request.

Our mailing address is:
Alder Ellen Cupo, Ward 8
20 Brown Street #2
New Haven, CT 06511