Community Updates for Labor Day and Beyond ...

WoosterSqWatch

Sep 4, 2021, 11:14:04 AM9/4/21
to Wooster Sq Google Group
Greetings All on the Beautiful Saturday Morning!

Here are a few updates of note as we head into the holiday week-end.

NEW DISTRICT MANAGER
 The New Haven Police Department announced this week that our Downtown Wooster Square Community District will have a new District Manager - Lt. Brendan Borer has been promoted and will now be our new District Manager. Welcome! Lt. Maher will have a new role in the Strategic Planning Division, bringing his keen strategic thinking and environmental planning skills more broadly to the City. Many thanks to Lt. Maher for his responsiveness to our unique needs in Wooster Square. We will miss him dearly. Yet - we welcome Lt. Borer to our neighborhood and look forward to working with him.  I will be meeting with both Lt. Maher and Lt. Borer in the near future and hope to plan ways we can all get to know Lt. Borer.  This article has more details about these NHPD changes.

RESIDENTIAL PARKING PERMITS

City Residential Parking Permits expire on September 30. Wooster Square is in Zone 5. If you received your permit online last year, you have likely received an email this week letting you know you now can apply for your permit (and three guest passes) on the city website. If you sign up online, you will need to sign up for the Resident Permit and Guest Permits. Your guest permits will be mailed to you. As you may recall, there no longer is a decal for your own vehicle nor a fee for the permit. This link has general information about residential parking permits, including how to apply in person or by mail if you prefer. For those who decide to get permits in-person, they may not be ready until around September 15.

LABOR DAY WEEKEND
  • Trash/recycling: Because of the holiday, trash/recycling will be picked up one day late next week, which means it will be picked up on Wednesday, Sept. 8 in Wooster Square.
  • Foxon Law New Haven Labor Day Road Race (Monday, Sept. 6): The Race returns at 60% capacity after last year's "virtual" race (run on your own). Here is the link to the routes for anyone who wants to cheer folks on along Chapel Street in Wooster Square. The link also highlights where roads will be temporarily closed. Also, please look out for no parking signs if you live on or near the race route. Runners always enjoy our Wooster Square welcome along Wooster Square and Russo Parks on Chapel Street - runners usually begin to pass by shortly after 9am for the next two hours!
SAFE STREETS COALITION OF NEW HAVEN - Outreach + Current Projects Meeting
Wednesday, September 8, 5:30 pm via Zoom - All are welcome! The meeting will focus in part on advocacy around the Safe Routes for All plan. Here is the zoom link:
Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85781795255 (Meeting ID: 857 8179 5255 One tap mobile +13126266799,,85781795255# )

COVID-19
  • Vaccinations for immunocompromised individuals: For anyone who is moderately to severely immunocompromised, you can go to the Health Department at 54 Meadow Street without an appointment during the following times: Tuesdays: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm; Wednesdays: 9:30 am – 6:30 pm; Thursdays: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm; and Fridays: 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
  • COVID testing locations: This link has information about locations/times when you can get a COVID test.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
To all who observe Rosh Hashanah on September 6-8th, may you have a sweet and healthy year ahead!

Be safe and well on this lovely holiday week-end,

Sarah

Sarah B.  Greenblatt
Wooster Square Watch

The goal of the Wooster Square Watch is to bring together people who live and work in the Wooster Square neighborhood to enhance public safety, address quality of life issues, and promote rewarding, neighborly relationships.

Numbers to Keep Handy:
City of New Haven Health Dept. COVID-19 Info Line - 203-946-4949
NON-EMERGENCY Police Service – 203-946-6316
NON-EMERGENCY Fire Department – 203-946-6990
ANONYMOUS TIPS - 866-888-TIPS (8477) or 203-946-6296
City of New Haven Snow Information Line: 203-946-7669
City of New Haven Emergency Operations:  203-946-8221
CAR TOWED? Call City Non-Emergency Police Service - 203-946-6316
New Haven Police/Downtown/Wooster Square District Manager - Lt. Sean Maher - smaher@newhavenct.gov
Public Works – 203-946-7700 (Pothole Repair, Recycling, Bulk Trash or Appliance Pick-Up)
Livable City Initiative (LCI) – 203-200-8350 or anat...@newhavenct.gov (Arthur Natalino, Downtown/Wooster Square)
New Haven Public Schools/Choice & Enrollment – 475-220-1431
Tree Trimming –  203-946-8004
Connection to Social Services: dial "211" from any phone http://www.211ct.org/
Elderly Services – 203-946-7854
Historic Wooster Square Association - www.historicwoostersquare.org