[the blog with the woofing dog] Education, Motivation & Personal Satisfaction

1 view

PhilH

May 8, 2011, 5:16:56 PM5/8/11
to woofi...@googlegroups.com
Laura was shown this video at a training day at work last week and told me about it today.

It reminded me of another video, which has been in my favourites on YouTube for some time, and I go back to it every so often.  It explains perfectly why I do such ridiculous amounts of stuff outside of work - the silly comics and stories, the acting classes, the stand-up, the sexual health stuff and most importantly the Hoja Project.

Together the two videos explain why I often find the English education system so hard to work in.  And it turns out they were both animated by the same people.

--
Posted By PhilH to the blog with the woofing dog on 5/08/2011 10:16:00 PM

Phil Hatchard

May 8, 2011, 5:31:21 PM5/8/11
to woofi...@googlegroups.com
After posting that, I thought of something else to add.  I also notice that the youtube videos seem to be lost on the email version.

So here are the two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

And here is the extra bit I added on:

Shortly before Laura mentioned the first video, I'd noticed an advert for Sightsavers. The advert had the headline:
Every wipe of his eyes takes Talla closer to blindness
You can see the video version of the advert here.

I hate that kind of advertising. It's so negative. The TV spot I've linked to really nails the tone, right down to the depressing music and the sombre narration. It's dripping with pity.

I want a charity to make me feel excited about all the projects they run that improve people's lives, not try to make me feel sorry for poor people and guilt-trip me into donating.

That's what makes me want to give over my free time and skills, and put my heart into something. The excitement of believing in what can be achieved.